Review Geelong defeats North by 33 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Offensively too. He's very good at kicking to a team mate then sprinting forward to provide another option. Perfect example just on half time tonight - gathered the ball behind centre, little chip to *someone*, then sprinted forward and got it again at half forward and hit a leading Hawkins lace out. He does it a lot - a lot of the time unrewarded, but if nothing else he draws an opponent to stretch their zone defence.
His offensive side has improved a lot from last year. It was a low bar though.

I like it you get much much worse 250/1 shots than that. Its almost a free hit provided you didn't load up hahahaha.
Actually just got $500 @ $5..
Offensively too. He's very good at kicking to a team mate then sprinting forward to provide another option. Perfect example just on half time tonight - gathered the ball behind centre, little chip to *someone*, then sprinted forward and got it again at half forward and hit a leading Hawkins lace out. He does it a lot - a lot of the time unrewarded, but if nothing else he draws an opponent to stretch their zone defence.
He is good ball in hand when he takes the game on, he has had some howlers this year with short defensive kicks.. must back his instincts

Yeah I reckon he'll end up being a really solid winger

Brad Close- not getting on the scoreboard much, but his bustling around in the forward line has set up several. Zuthrie's first goal wouldn't have gone through if not for Close shepherding it, and he did well not to infringe.

His tackle on Pittard caused the miskick that got Zuthrie his second, too

Not me ive always been a big supporter of them both. Guthrie a great line breaker and menegola is a direct player who can tak a grab. Together they are helping cover for the loss of kelly.

I didn't mean you you've actually always seen their good side I just meant the board in general only sees their faults and not their growth the last 24 months but both are becoming really consistent players.

8th game in a row we've been on the losing end of the free kick tally against North. Have to go back to 2014 for the last time we "won" that stat.

Maybe they are trying to make up for the '94 PF?

Missed the first 2/3 of the game with the arvo start messing up with work, but a pretty good result. Personally i think we'll enjoy being in Qld..i mean it's bloody cold and wet in Victoria, there's worse places to be playing than in pleasant conditions in August in Brisbane. And it's just not the bitter cold that those night games in Adelaide or Perth provide. Reckon we'll do well up there.

And good to come back off the 4 day break flying across the nation to do so. 6-4 now, if they can knock over Port in the coming weeks and hold form there's no reason we can't position ourselves satisfactorily in the FInals whenever they come.

You always know what you’re going to get with the Cats. 110% effort but not much polish. Tonight went exactly to that script.

Highlight was Fogs. Guthrie also is just in super form. I thought he was so far BOG it wasn’t funny. Steven was much better. Looked fitter and maybe just maybe in another 8 weeks he’ll be cherry ripe. At least it’s trending better

The “Jury’s our crew” in Atkins, Bews, Stanley, Henry, Hendo, ZGuthrie, Simpson and Close certainly didn’t change any opinions imo. Not bad by any means though.

Given we played 90 odd hours ago and spent a day travelling it’s a relief to win.

Henry played like a man possessed tonight. Attacked the ball hard and offered heaps of poise and dash out of D50. Hendo had another really good game too. Loved all the little things Close did and Zuthrie, Simpson and Bews were solid. Only one who had little impact was Atkins, out of that group.

8th game in a row we've been on the losing end of the free kick tally against North. Have to go back to 2014 for the last time we "won" that stat.

I've commented on this so much. I'd go so far as to say that I've barely ever seen them lose the free kick count against anyone.

Couldn't buy a free kick for htb, but Zuthrie gets tackled as he takes it in mid air in our forward 50, and he's pinged. Crazy how much assistance they need to even be in games, lol

I'm really pleased to see the growth in some of our younger players..fogarty is becoming a smart consistent mid like he was at tac level..simpson has real footy iq and is starting to grow in confidence.. close seems a smart and committed pressure player..i think Parfitt has shown good signs defensively and with the ball this year..miers is coming along in leaps and bounds.. I'm not convinced they all fit in the best 22 but them along with Dahlhaus (who is really important for us defensively) give us some real midfield and small forward depth. And the backline while it could use another linebreaker is improving all the time.

My question marks if we are to win the flag this year are still the ruck and 2nd key forward slots. I think sav is improving but he still has very quiet games and I don't think he is ready this year and quality rucks can really open our midfield up. Funnily enough while they can be very inconsistent I think Stanley and Jenkins are more important to our flag chances this year than we think they are.

Henry played like a man possessed tonight. Attacked the ball hard and offered heaps of poise and dash out of D50. Hendo had another really good game too. Loved all the little things Close did and Zuthrie, Simpson and Bews were solid. Only one who had little impact was Atkins, out of that group.

I can see why we rookied Hendo. He is near the end but in a crisis he can really be relied upon to do a job..henry I think for the first time this year really took the game on tonight and was much better.. bews is solid and frees Tuohy up which is an advantage for us. I'm not sure where zuthrie fits but he is really improving. I agree atkinsneeds to do more but with our small forward depth I think we can cope fine without him in the 22 If needs be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like to know whats up with Danger, clearly carrying something.

Anyway excellent win, was worried with the amount of players we swapped but didnt matter in the end because the younger guys stood up.
looked pretty good to me when he moved on thr ball in Q4 and got an immidiate clearance leading to a goal. "The Prez" not like he was 2 years ago however. He gots to get rid of thr hook if he plays FF

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Maybe they are trying to make up for the '94 PF?

Missed the first 2/3 of the game with the arvo start messing up with work, but a pretty good result. Personally i think we'll enjoy being in Qld..i mean it's bloody cold and wet in Victoria, there's worse places to be playing than in pleasant conditions in August in Brisbane. And it's just not the bitter cold that those night games in Adelaide or Perth provide. Reckon we'll do well up there.

And good to come back off the 4 day break flying across the nation to do so. 6-4 now, if they can knock over Port in the coming weeks and hold form there's no reason we can't position ourselves satisfactorily in the FInals whenever they come.

Pity we won that day - some times it is better to exit as an honourable 3rd than get smashed in a GF

1980 is a prime example - dying seconds of the PF - Neville Bruns had a flying shot for goal - and missed - and thank goodness he missed - because if he hadnt of - Geel with no Malarkey out injured at FB ( Jan Smith was his replacement - heaven forbid ) up against big Cloke and Roach - KB running riot . The Cats would have got absolutely smashed - like the poor Maggies did

But fate stepped in ( with Bruns miss ) and the record books show the Cats finished an honourable 3rd in 1980 - ha

I was worried tonight about the midget forwardline but with Danger there, Miers there and Fogarty in the middle we looked better balanced than I thought.
Close had one of those forward pocket games where not a lot happened but still was clean and applied pressure and was in the right spots - smart player👍
Tom had it on a string and Simpson was solid after 2 quiet ones.
pleasing to see such a solid win with Dangerwood quiet.
Bring on the Saints😜

Remember in our glory years in 2009-2011 we had a few nuggety onballer types who came in for a game or three as fillins for guys who were injured or being rested, played their role pretty well, and then went back to the magoos? Guys like Jackson Sheringham, Jesse Stringer, Simon Hogan. Tom Atkins reminds me a bit of them.

Same here. Decent depth player.

Atkins has been off this season in the games he’s played. I know he’s had the rib injury but still. Last season he was great, played pretty much every game and averaged like 5 tackles a game and was enormous for our forward pressure. He just doesn’t seem right to me, only averaging 2 tackles and half the disposals. Obviously don’t care about the disposals too much but his tackling pressure needs to be up, because that’s his strength and why he’s in the team.

Atkins has been off this season in the games he’s played. I know he’s had the rib injury but still. Last season he was great, played pretty much every game and averaged like 5 tackles a game and was enormous for our forward pressure. He just doesn’t seem right to me, only averaging 2 tackles and half the disposals. Obviously don’t care about the disposals too much but his tackling pressure needs to be up, because that’s his strength and why he’s in the team.
I reckon the club is re-moulding him. They put a lot of time into his body in the off season, making him heavier, which I think has wrecked his natural game. Now they don't know where to play him. He's going to come good I reckon, once they find him a new role. Played ok with limited game time tonight. But just ok. Kicked some nice goals earlier in the season.

Agree with all that except I don't rate his kicking - he still has his awkward ball drop which is definitely not text book and reliable. If he can make up for it with his work in and around the contest then great - Danger isn't the best kick either but his other attributes overshadow it so he is still great.

I agree with his kicking, but he does have defensive pressure... I think that's why he dropped into the 2nd round.. If he had elite kicking he would of gone top 10 definitely... I'm still glad we grabbed him...

There's not many games where you get 3 or 4 players having their best games for the Cats.

Stevens looked a lot sharper. Will be a weapon by finals time.

Fogarty - first game I saw him he reminded me of Joel Selwood. It's taken a while but he's getting there.

Zuthrie - he's got the football brain and skills - just needs to fill out and have more games. Cam is probably having his best season.

Miers best game also?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back