Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Uhmmm...we kicked 6 goals in the first quarter. It was our best opening quarter of the season so far.
Apologies - I know we kicked 6 but it seemed to me that we weren’t around each other and feeling it like you would expect with each one we kicked- mind you I’d had a few reds by then .....

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
Apologies - I know we kicked 6 but it seemed to me that we weren’t around each other and feeling it like you would expect with each one we kicked- mind you I’d had a few reds by then .....
Contrast the reaction of Papley who went stir crazy inciting some excitement and passion amongst his teammates.

Not for everyone, but the difference was interesting.

Romeoh1

Debutant
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Wow - just watched on 360, the vision of the ‘not 15’ call - that ump really was insistent about it. Called it very early in the trajectory. ( at 9 metre mark of the 21.8 kick). Fair dinkum.
Scott -haircut looks better and he’s calm and looking more at ease. Good to see. Go Chris.

Last edited:

Reppie

Premiership Player
May 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
"Theft" comes to mind with the result..but as they say you take your chances..etc etc...Thought the call on Jeremy Cameron was wrong big league..that ball was "live" as in not touched & it traveled the required distance..plenty of smartphone footage showing the distance & how the umpire was not calling play on like they do when the ball is touched..The umps were sub-par on Saturday night for both teams..Not surprised at the AFL apology..The best thing I saw from Geelong on the night was clearly Jack Henry..The way he moved around the ground..the way he stood at the centre of defense..ran loose..accurate passing..ruckwork..and his spoiling was something to behold.. No wonder your team has signed him up very quickly for 3 years..leadership material there... I wouldn't worry too much where the team is headed....if you are getting plenty of the ball you are doing something correct..anyhow I'm not a coach..BTW Chris Scott is brilliant love his work...Please enjoy some snaps we took..and all the best for 2021 season..sorry to hear the news of Frank Costa passing.. Your club is all the more greater thanks to Frank..

View attachment 1117785

View attachment 1117786

View attachment 1117787

View attachment 1117788

View attachment 1117789
For whatever reason i really prefer the black and white images by far.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The expected score has Geelong winning comfortably. What those stats say is that we dominated the game but didn't take our opportunities in front of goal. That's it.
I even have a few question on the XS.. maybe if it was specific to the players having that shot id trust it more.

I found CS talking on 360 tonight mention the domination line but blending domination of the stats and mentioning the instances of 3 times being burst by kick ins and the two times we were little too aggressive when a players was left by himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

winty

Jun 8, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
The one thing I'll grant the umpires is that they could be acting under (insane) instruction. The way they've started shouting "not 15" absolutely instantly - before the ball has gone 1 metre, let alone 15 - tells me it's a directive. So I'll give them that if it's the case. No excuse for the administration though. There's nothing wrong with being a bit more prudent about how far the ball travels. But you need to actually see how far it goes first.
It's staggering how pedantic the umpires are over kicks going 15m to the extent they call "not 15" as soon as it comes off a player's boot, but rarely if ever pick up a player for running too far without bouncing. Jiath from Hawthorn is one player who regularly seems to run about twice his allotted distance but never gets pinged. I think I've only seen one occasion where it has been paid this season, and that was in the Bombers-Blues game yesterday.

Reppie

Premiership Player
May 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
It's staggering how pedantic the umpires are over kicks going 15m to the extent they call "not 15" as soon as it comes off a player's boot, but rarely if ever pick up a player for running too far without bouncing. Jiath from Hawthorn is one player who regularly seems to run about twice his allotted distance but never gets pinged. I think I've only seen one occasion where it has been paid, and that was in the Bombers-Blues game yesterday.
Mostly against us...rarely notice it in other games i watch.

catempire

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
On the Couch:

All the numbers tell you Geelong had a comfortable win but there’s something to be said for accuracy.”

“We deal with absolutes in footy and Geelong lost the game so there can tend to be a bit of a knee jerk. But their game stood up. So the way they actually went about playing and setting up a victory they did everything right bar the execution in front of goal. So +35 expected score, it’s never looked so good and losing the game.”

“Sixty six times we’ve seen a team have this much of a domination and 66 times they’ve won.”

490BF311-28D6-4C20-886A-F4F1DB3312EE.jpeg

Cataholic
you pick one
Turbocat

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
On the Couch:

All the numbers tell you Geelong had a comfortable win but there’s something to be said for accuracy.”

“We deal with absolutes in footy and Geelong lost the game so there can tend to be a bit of a knee jerk. But their game stood up. So the way they actually went about playing and setting up a victory they did everything right bar the execution in front of goal. So +35 expected score, it’s never looked so good and losing the game.”

“Sixty six times we’ve seen a team have this much of a domination and 66 times they’ve won.”

View attachment 1118136

Cataholic
you pick one
Turbocat
yep saw ..still the same stats, and were still out scored in 3 out of the 4 quarters.

What did Brown say that Leigh Matthews tell him about stats. Something like there is only one stat that counts

BotsMaster

2021 May Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Wow - just watched on 360, the vision of the ‘not 15’ call - that ump really was insistent about it. Called it very early in the trajectory. ( at 9 metre mark of the 21.8 kick). Fair dinkum.
Scott -haircut looks better and he’s calm and looking more at ease. Good to see. Go Chris.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Id like to see them do the same thing for the not 15 calls thru the game. My bet there were 3 or 4 and they were all 15... and some passes paid were not 15... including one pass to a geelong player inside the i50. To me it was obvious that the umpires had been encouraged to call not 15 for any kick that was questionable. The umpire just made an error in the heat of the moment. Id love to see Geelong show some vision of Cameron at training kicking goals from where the mark would have been taken.

Umpires have a very difficult task. So many players around the ball all the time.

catempire

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
yep saw ..still the same stats, and were still out scored in 3 out of the 4 quarters.

What did Brown say that Leigh Matthews tell him about stats. Something like there is only one stat that counts
... due to our inaccuracy.

He said Matthews used to bang on about accuracy and Scott would be doing the same as his old coach.

Turbocat

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
He said Matthews used to bang on about accuracy and Scott would be doing the same as his old coach.
I have not got the exact quote ..but Brown gave the impression that LM minimise all the other stats. I wonder if he would say Geelong was dominate in a game where they lost 3 out of the 4 quarters.

I think most of what Scott said on 360 last night was a better description of how I feel. Rather than just say dominated the game, he mentioned dominated the stats and he talked about where they broke down. That they allowed those easy unopposed marks inside 50 and 3 kick in goals.

Romeoh1

Debutant
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Id like to see them do the same thing for the not 15 calls thru the game. My bet there were 3 or 4 and they were all 15... and some passes paid were not 15... including one pass to a geelong player inside the i50. To me it was obvious that the umpires had been encouraged to call not 15 for any kick that was questionable. The umpire just made an error in the heat of the moment. Id love to see Geelong show some vision of Cameron at training kicking goals from where the mark would have been taken.

Umpires have a very difficult task. So many players around the ball all the time.
Yep, agree it’s really hard being an ump and having to make crucial calls in the heat of the moment isn’t easy. Nonetheless, you have to keep your head, especially in a close game nearing the siren time. I get they call them quickly for ones that go and up and down in the air etc, but this one was pretty clearly, I’d have thought, on a trajectory where he simply had to wait and see how far it went. If that sort of mistake decided a crucial final it would be unacceptable. Same for the brissy one.
And yep, they let through a few in that game that were dodgier than the Cameron one.
Anyway, am just glad the footy karma is off our backs already!

cat in sydney

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
As usual Whateley and his impeccable logic nailed it - the umpire needs to make the call as the ball lands - not midway through its trajectory 👍
Agreed. However I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL instruct the umpires to call 'not 15' as early as possible so as to encourage players to keep the ball moving (e.g. punch) rather than have a player go for a mark, but because they didn't hear the call end up in a stoppage or having to pay an unfair free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad