Preview Geelong v Gold Coast @ GMHBA | Saturday, 4 July 2020, 4:35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Close might debut. Like for like with Atkins missing.
I'd settle for any debut at this stage. There's so many kids we be dropping without a debut at this stage that it's kind of concerning. I just want some objective test of these kids

Rohan should be dropped.
Atkins and Stewart won't play. We need to bring one tall and two smalls.
Gold Coast are one of the fastest teams in the competition and they have 3 monsters up forward who will strength Taylor, Blicavs and Kolodjashnij.

Rohan should be dropped.
Atkins and Stewart won't play. We need to bring one tall and two smalls.
Gold Coast are one of the fastest teams in the competition and they have 3 monsters up forward who will strength Taylor, Blicavs and Kolodjashnij.
Bringing 3 talls to Kardinia is generally seen as a mistake

Rohan should be dropped?

He was universally nominated as our best player just 12 days ago against Carlton...

Short memories around here.
I think it's more, "I'm not a fan of player X, so they should be dropped", rather than necessarily looking at ones form

Looking at Bews for example - he was one of the few defenders who tried to provide from run & drive from the backline against Carlton (albeit in the 4th quarter), he then looked to do the same last week against the Demons & nearly slotted a nice goal from 50m on his wrong foot. Last week he had 15 disposals (14 kicks, 1 handball), 336 metres gained, 2 score involvements, 5 intercepts & only 1 clanger/1 turnover - isn't that the sort of game we want to see from Bews?

Only 4 players on the field had more metres gained than Bews last week - Tomlinson (503m, 19 disposals & 4 turnovers), Viney (433m, 21 disposals & 6 turnovers), Danger (473m, 22 disposals & 2 turnovers) & Tuohy (444m, 17 disposals & 7 turnovers)

I'd like to see more of the Bews we have seen the last 5 quarters - let him provide attack from the backline

I reckon Close might debut. Like for like with Atkins missing.
It would appear O'Bree endorses your thinking.

Brad Close
The mature-age recruit applies plenty of pressure in the forward half.

"As a high forward and wing, he can run really well so his work rate really helped us," O'Bree says.

"He got a lot more of the ball which and is feeling confident with the ball in hand."

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/735106/match-simulation-every-player-reviewed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody Hell sportsbet have us at $1.31 favorite, Suns at $3.50, almost worth putting money on GC at those odds.
Suns have been crap away from home forever and especially deplorable at KP.

Geelong still have the strongest home ground advantage in the league. The Carlton game doesn't disprove that - it remains an outlier until proven otherwise, as any team can have an awful one off performance.

Gold Coast are due an off game and Geelong never lose two in a row at home.

Upsets will be more likely during the Covid19 season but I really think Geelong will win this one and finally break the WLWLWLWLWLWL etc.

Suns have been crap away from home forever and especially deplorable at KP.

Geelong still have the strongest home ground advantage in the league. The Carlton game doesn't disprove that - it remains an outlier until proven otherwise, as any team can have an awful one off performance.

Gold Coast are due an off game and Geelong never lose two in a row at home.

Upsets will be more likely during the Covid19 season but I really think Geelong will win this one and finally break the WLWLWLWLWLWL etc.

Depends what Geelong shows up, the team that belted the Hawks or the one that made Carlton look like superstars. Anyone going into this week thinking we will just roll over them be careful, the Suns have been playing really good footy and are quick, pity it isn't a pure night game as the colder weather might have had an effect on them coming from the Sunshine.

Depends what Geelong shows up, the team that belted the Hawks or the one that made Carlton look like superstars. Anyone going into this week thinking we will just roll over them be careful, the Suns have been playing really good footy and are quick, pity it isn't a pure night game as the colder weather might have had an effect on them coming from the Sunshine.
Yeah we have some serious problems if that same team comes out that faced Carlton, twice in a row at home. My assessment is based on Geelong having its usual problems and being a middle of the road team, but not having its arse drop out from it completely and suddenly.

I do agree with your assessment that it would be a more meritorious victory than usual against GC. Geelong tend to play better at home against an opponent they are wary of, a proper challenger, so I'm expecting based on GC's recent form and the sting of the Carlton loss to get that "good" Geelong.

Why do elections and Geelong games keep clashing? I missed last year's game against the dogs this way too.

Think we'll win, which apparently is now controversial despite being at home vs the suns.

The Suns pace and them being a quick side is pretty irrelevant given the game is in Geelong. We defend the narrow ground really well and our defensive structures will stifle their quick ball movement. If we turn up with an appetite for the contest and our midfield brings the right intensity, we will win this easily IMO. It’s just a matter of whether our midfield wants to turn up and work hard, which they clearly did not against Carlton two weeks ago..

Query - do all the Suns players and officials playing/visiting on Saturday need to quarantine for 2 weeks (at home in Qld) afterwards?

I think it more likely that we will go to NSW to play the two Sydney teams over the next two rounds and then head back to Queensland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back