Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is this weird obsession with every player needing to have mongrel on this board for some reason. Watts is a silk player, he doesn't need to crash and bash but he could be mighty if he is getting the ball in hand in the forward half of the ground. With he and Gaz (along with Duncan) kicking the ball to Hawk we will see Tom getting drawn out into space as well.

Maybe because when the going gets tough the whole side goes to water. Back in the golden era we had Scarlo, Dasher, Rooke, Mooney et all.

Other than the Selwood brothers, the one bloke in our side who should be doing this is Hawkins - Who is built like a brick shithouse and should be imposing himself on the contest, crashing packs, driving knees into the back of defenders, basically making the shit themselves. The WHOLE side would walk a lot taller if he did this.

Re Watts. I'm not a fan, but I get the need. Lonners is gone, so Taylor goes back. Who then plays the tall forward-decoy role? Well Watts could, or he could play back and Taylor continue his foray forward. Not perfect, but it makes some sense structurally. I suppose there is an outside chance Watts could play his best footy with us, as Henderson has done. But doubt that.

He doesn't have to. The crash and bash is not his game... but he can do it physically in terms of hard running. Go look up his goal against the Pies Queens birthday, when the dees launch an attack from the half back you see Watts running through the back half of the centre square. He gut runs diagonally across the ground and ends up being on the end of the kick. Gathers it, runs and bounces till he is 25 out and sinks the goal.
That does more damage than 'crashing and bashing'

And while it is only 1 example, and 1 that is obviously in Jacks favour... i think it shows what he is capable of

Hopefully he does the same for us :thumbsu:

Maybe because when the going gets tough the whole side goes to water. Back in the golden era we had Scarlo, Dasher, Rooke, Mooney et all.

Other than the Selwood brothers, the one bloke in our side who should be doing this is Hawkins - Who is built like a brick shithouse and should be imposing himself on the contest, crashing packs, driving knees into the back of defenders, basically making the shit themselves. The WHOLE side would walk a lot taller if he did this.

My knock on Hawkins too

We have had 9 years to have a look and mark him Willo,another Kersten is my assessment.Actually Jacks season just gone is very much like Kersto's last season with us for output.
Geez that's harsh on Jack!

Yes, it was clearly a vest. I'm imagining that he rocked up to pre-season overweight and out of shape.
Nice deflection comrade. :thumbsu:

Please take over! I’m copping it from all sides! Apparently the truth hurts for some reason.

In fairness, I think you got caught in the crossfire. Someone wrote (can't remember who) they struggle to resist the urge to take a bat to the head of Geelong supporters for the way Motlop was treated.

A few weeks ago before the Swans semi-final I was listening to Steven Hocking on ABC pre-match. He stated that there was no real substitute for real talent and that a Geelong, we tend not to get it thanks to our regular high finishes. Well Jack Watts has real talent and is pretty cheap comparatively. The club obviously thinks that Watts can bloom in a different environment, and why not. He had a miserable 6 or 7 years in dire teams get the spirit kicked out of them on a weekly basis. Nine years on the list and never having played in a final. And he in a way became the symbol, quite undeservedly, of that failure. For Melbourne, Hogan is the bright future, Watts is a symbol of dark past. It has to change for Melbourne and it has to change for Watts.

Hopefully he does the same for us :thumbsu:
It obviously is just 1 example, and can really be rightly dismissed easily. .. but I think it shows what he is capable of anyway.. i still want to see max effort from him and kind of hope being pushed out of the Dees is a rocket for his attitude

It obviously is just 1 example, and can really be rightly dismissed easily. .. but I think it shows what he is capable of anyway.. i still want to see max effort from him and kind of hope being pushed out of the Dees is a rocket for his attitude

I've no doubt he has the skill.....hell, he wouldn't be playing AFL or be a former No. 1.......but I have a question over the fierceness of his desire.

Think we're talking same thing re: max effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You either have mongrel or you don't. Tom doesn't and never has and never will, it's not something that can be coached.

Nice deflection comrade. :thumbsu:

How is that a deflection? Read my last 10 posts. All of them are contending that he lost the fan based when he turned up out of shape to pre-season.

What picture do you think I was referring too? It takes effort to stay in shape and be an AFL football, and it's bloody hard to do. But the expectation is that when you sign a big pay deal, that you go above and beyond putting the work in.

How is that a deflection? Read my last 10 posts. All of them are contending that he lost the fan based when he turned up out of shape to pre-season.

What picture do you think I was referring too? It takes effort to stay in shape and be an AFL football, and it's bloody hard to do. But the expectation is that when you sign a big pay deal, that you go above and beyond putting the work in.
Yeah I think the timing of it, turning up like that just after signing a nice fat contract (excuse the pun) put a lot of supporters offside. Still doesn't excuse a lot of the vitriol towards him of course.

I can live with trading for Watts..live with trading for Gold Coast Gary to some degree ... as long as do not touch 2018 . It seems the club is on the roller coaster and going to go hard it till the end of the ride.
Trying to put Watts in our Sept side and I see no great improvement ...and if he is in anyway less than a very good performer then he will almost certainly be a new target of frustration. Meanwhile we will have a hole or two down the other end that will be only plugged for the short term yet again...how many years/games does Harry have left?
and meanwhile we have to add some little angry ants... tall forwards just seem so yesterday.

Ok, you lot have sold me on Watts.
I shit canned Tuohy, Hendo and a a couple of others and they turned out ok, hopefully knacker bags does too.

When Geelong were shopping around SJ at the end of '06 my mates and I discussed it a bit, most of them were happy for him to be gone, a couple of us disagreed. We could see that he was a match winner.

I feel the same about Motlop and probably Menzel too. I hope we don't lose both.

I really don't understand why Jack Watts cops such a hard assessment. Very solid year without being great, and really, we don't need him to be. Just need him to play a roll and do it well.

16 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 1 goal and a 75% disposal efficiency. I'd take that out of my CHF every day of the week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back