Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stringer is one player I wouldn't want at the Cats if you are picking possible forwards, would rather Gunston...

Channel Seven just reported we are one of 3 teams chasing Devon Smith, with the other two clubs being Carlton and a unnamed club. Apparently GWS have retracted there recent offer due to salary cap concerns and we are "upping" our bid for him.
You'd think having the chance to play with Dangerwood and maybe Ablett next year would have to wet his appetite.

Channel Seven just reported we are one of 3 teams chasing Devon Smith, with the other two clubs being Carlton and a unnamed club. Apparently GWS have retracted there recent offer due to salary cap concerns and we are "upping" our bid for him.

The problem for gws is because kelly is delaying making a decision they are having to lowball smith and hopper in case kelly decides to stay at the end of the year and they are short on $. They might end up losing all 3 if they don't change tack.

So long as the money isn't crazy we should definitely pursue smith. Small forward is one of our biggest weaknesses and he would fill this gap well.

The problem for gws is because kelly is delaying making a decision they are having to lowball smith and hopper in case kelly decides to stay at the end of the year and they are short on $. They might end up losing all 3 if they don't change tack.

So long as the money isn't crazy we should definitely pursue smith. Small forward is one of our biggest weaknesses and he would fill this gap well.

How are we getting the deal done for both... and what impact could they have in our 2018 side?

Me likey. He's the exact type of player that we need IMO. Giddy up!

Heard it mentioned a couple of times recently that Carlton are also very keen on Hopper. Clearly the Blues are trying to make sure their whole team are ex Giants.
I'm not sure how we can get all 3 but getting 2 of Smith, Ablett and Hopper would make the team better next year.

How are we getting the deal done for both... and what impact could they have in our 2018 side?

I take it you mean smith and hopper? (as we wont get kelly). My guess would be the carlton 2nd (pick 20) + our 2018 1st (with maybe a late pick coming back our way). Assuming we finished say 4th again next year and its pick 15 thats value (actually we get slight unders in that scenario but both are OOC). I think the club would be hoping either to get pick 19 as compo for motlop or trade someone else for a pick in the 20s (and forward that plus pick 20 and keep our 2018 1st) but thats less likely. Because GWS have cap issues i doubt they can take any players from us in a trade it would be picks only.

Smith is an obvious add as we have a weakness in front and centre f50 crumbers and f50 defensive pressure and he is very good at both, would add a lot particularly defensively. Hopper is also a very good player and would improve our contested work a lot but i am unclear as to who we would move out of our midfield to fit him in. But he seems to be getting linked to geelong consistently enough that there might well be something in it.

Heard it mentioned a couple of times recently that Carlton are also very keen on Hopper. Clearly the Blues are trying to make sure their whole team are ex Giants.
I'm not sure how we can get all 3 but getting 2 of Smith, Ablett and Hopper would make the team better next year.

We can get all 3. In the past carlton have had the inside running as they have used their cap room to help gws by taking salary dumps off their hands (see getting marchbank and pickett cheap as they took over palmers contract, plowman cheap for taking sumner phillips lamb etc) but i cant see anyone gws would have to salary dump this year (except griffen or deledio but i doubt anyone would take them) so they wont get the inside running. Thesedays players pretty much always get to the club they want so if those 2 nominate geelong it will likely get done.

We can get all 3. In the past carlton have had the inside running as they have used their cap room to help gws by taking salary dumps off their hands (see getting marchbank and pickett cheap as they took over palmers contract, plowman cheap for taking sumner phillips lamb etc) but i cant see anyone gws would have to salary dump this year (except griffen or deledio but i doubt anyone would take them) so they wont get the inside running. Thesedays players pretty much always get to the club they want so if those 2 nominate geelong it will likely get done.
I agree. It can be done pretty easily I think, if we want to do it.

Personally I would very happily take Hopper and Smith.
GAJ? Well, it depends on cost, as everyone is saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But If the asking price is too high for anyone of them then a deal won't get done. We saw last year Deledio nominated Geelong but the Tigers price was too high. He may still play a role for the Giants in the finals. But I'm glad Geelong didn't take him for a first rounder.
Hopper is the one I'm surprised at he was very highly rated in his draft year and a Giants acadamey pick. He hasn't been playing so it's harder to see where he's at now. But like other a have speculated he could be Caddy or replace Selwood. Caddy was a good player for Geelong without becoming a star. So even at that level a later first round pick is probably about right.

Smith is an obvious add as we have a weakness in front and centre f50 crumbers and f50 defensive pressure and he is very good at both, would add a lot particularly defensively. Hopper is also a very good player and would improve our contested work a lot but i am unclear as to who we would move out of our midfield to fit him in. But he seems to be getting linked to geelong consistently enough that there might well be something in it.

Is he though, because I have heard him mentioned as being a prime offender in relation to gws' notoriously leaky/unaccountable forward line? Serious question.

But If the asking price is too high for anyone of them then a deal won't get done. We saw last year Deledio nominated Geelong but the Tigers price was too high. He may still play a role for the Giants in the finals. But I'm glad Geelong didn't take him for a first rounder.
Hopper is the one I'm surprised at he was very highly rated in his draft year and a Giants acadamey pick. He hasn't been playing so it's harder to see where he's at now. But like other a have speculated he could be Caddy or replace Selwood. Caddy was a good player for Geelong without becoming a star. So even at that level a later first round pick is probably about right.

It does seem odd re hopper, because if I recall correctly he was rated as a potential top 5 or #1 if he had been freely available in the general pool. However, I think there were similar wraps on Steele (another academy pick) and he went to the saints for a twenty-something pick.

It's about time we got some of the juicy stuff falling off gws' dinner table. It's probably our best chance of grabbing some a-grade young talent as things stand. And, as you say, even if he is only another caddy that is fine, plenty of room for those in our side even if they are stuck on the periphery of our main midfield rotations for a year or two. Who knows, perhaps Gary and danger (along with Menz) could share full-forward (with hawk roaming further afield at chf, where he should be) opening up some room in said rotations (now I'm really day-dreaming).

Last edited:
What about hickey from st k? To be fair, they are both playing ressies, so might be no better than smith (who seems to be almost good enough, emphasis on almost).

Smith, when compared to Walker and Blitz, and injured Hmac, Orren Stephenson, and Trent West, is the best #1 ruck we have had since Otto.
Compared to others around the league and what as obtainable at the time, he was also the best available at the price.

Id stick with him.

Go Catters

Smith, when compared to Walker and Blitz, and injured Hmac, Orren Stephenson, and Trent West, is the best #1 ruck we have had since Otto.
Compared to others around the league and what as obtainable at the time, he was also the best available at the price.

Id stick with him.

Go Catters

I'm inclined to agree. However, I would add that as I have gotten older I have gone from thinking rucks weren't very important to the opposite (probably because we have had terrific rucks pretty much my whole life, except for now). There is room for only one, or perhaps two, in the side, so you have to get that one or two right (like a wicket-keeper in a cricket team). Whilst I think smith is ok, on balance I see it as a weakness in our line-up.

I should have mentioned in my first post that the story included a suggestion that GWS might be trying to clear space in there salary cap to make a move on Dustin Martin. Whether this would include keeping Kelly wasnt clear from the story, but id assume that would be the plan at GWS.

What about hickey from st k? To be fair, they are both playing ressies, so might be no better than smith (who seems to be almost good enough, emphasis on almost).
Can't play spencer and Gawn in the same side. Spencer looked great in Nab cup and when Gawn got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back