Recommitted Jack Gunston [UFA 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll be 29 before the next season starts
Correct. Here are past compararable trades.

Jolly for pick 14 + 46
Vince for pick 23
Deledio for pick 15 + 54
Gibbs for pick 10 + 16
Beams for pick 18 + 18

But im sure the list of trades that dont get done is even longer... there are 2 types of clubs that may be interested.
Group A those in there premiership window that have a need for that type
Group B are those with a promising core of under 23 year Olds that are ready to take the next step into finals but need some proven performers who can instill the winning culture into them.

What we dont know is if any clubs think they are in those catagories and have an interest in gunston. we also dont know if the hawks want to trade him (publicly they have said they don't) or if gunston wants to be traded.

And? Age is just a number. 29 is prime!

Gunston would be Melbourne’s number one forward by a long way. 46 scoring shots from 15 games playing in a team that ranks last in inside 50s.

Probably, for 1 season. And then it's all downhill, for a 2nd rounder that's a terrible trade for MElbourne.

For a later pick perhaps

But if he's as good as all you Hawk fans are trying to argue why are you so desperate to see him go?

Probably, for 1 season. And then it's all downhill, for a 2nd rounder that's a terrible trade for MElbourne.

For a later pick perhaps

But if he's as good as all you Hawk fans are trying to argue why are you so desperate to see him go?

Who is desperate to see him go? It’s just media speculation and nothing more. He’s contracted, earning close to 600k and will probably be the Hawks next captain. Gunston has no interest in leaving.

This is untrue! the concessus on the hawks board is that we dont want to trade him. I know im only commenting because posters like yourself are exaggerating things.

Personally I wouldn't be to thrilled with a late first in a compromised draft that ends up being pushed out into the 20s. Hawthorn is in no position to move on one of the few quality players we have
Personally this is where i sit, even if we land a pick much better then one you would be happy for melbourne to let go.

Worlds apart, deals dont get done happens every year. Also not all deals suit all clubs, you think its not a good one for melbourne then thats fine.

Who is desperate to see him go? It’s just media speculation and nothing more. He’s contracted, earning close to 600k and will probably be the Hawks next captain. Gunston has no interest in leaving.

Sweet, music to my eyes, i don't want him for that price.

Why do you Hawk fans get so uppity if someone posts an opinion that doesn't match yours?

Quite amusing actually

Sweet, music to my eyes, i don't want him for that price.

Why do you Hawk fans get so uppity if someone posts an opinion that doesn't match yours?

Quite amusing actually

It’s just as funny when opposition supporters undermine a Hawthorn players trade value thinking they can get them cheap. It doesn’t work that way.

It’s just as funny when opposition supporters undermine a Hawthorn players trade value thinking they can get them cheap. It doesn’t work that way.

I've already said i don't want him champ :)

Are you having an argument with yourself? ;)

Do not want, too old and Hawks would want too much.
Yeah well if you guys come knocking i hope we give you the geelong special. How about all of your 1st round picks this year and a future 1st.

Jokes aside if i saw him in the hoops id spew.
You guys dont need his type anyway.... right?

Yeah well if you guys come knocking i hope we give you the geelong special. How about all of your 1st round picks this year and a future 1st.

Jokes aside if i saw him in the hoops id spew.
You guys dont need his type anyway.... right?

His quality and trade value aside, someone who is 29 at the start of next season is not someone we should trade for, we need to renew for when Hawkins goes.

Mature players if they are cheap sure, he is not going to be cheap.

His quality and trade value aside, someone who is 29 at the start of next season is not someone we should trade for, we need to renew for when Hawkins goes.

Mature players if they are cheap sure, he is not going to be cheap.
look if the rumors that the cats are interested are true (very unlikely as it seems the cats sell papers and every one is linked) you guys probably only get really interested if you make the GF and lose with the main reason being hawkins getting double teamed all game.

so yeah i think its unlikely.

Also it would be a big overcommit to right now over future, so i understand your point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You clearly haven't seen him play this year. He's the best 3rd tall in it.

I watch every game, lol (hate it when people say this) and I think he'll make the squad of 40, but not the 22.

There'll be two tall forwards - Hawkins and one or both of Dixon and JJK, one or both of Wallis and Ryan, one or both of Dusty or Danger slotted forward and one or all of C. Cameron, Papley and Butler. No space for him.

He's had a decent year, but it's not the AA standard he had in 2018. It's immaterial anyway, he won't be leaving - for us or anyone else

Last edited:
Gunston has been consistently a great player. I just worry about a big contract and trade price put on a guy who will be 30 next year. You can't really guarantee his output going forward.

We've seen plenty of clubs over estimate their own list and spend draft/trade capital on players in that age group only to find themselves hamstrung.

Gibbs was at his best for his first year at the crows but then nothing, Beams played 9 games for the pies on return. They're not all unsuccessful but with recent history you'd be mad not to risk weight any approach to recruiting him.

He won't be AA you need to have a seriously elite season as a third tall to make the AA team. It is like the wing spot it will just go to the extra mids.

He is not showing signs of slowing down though, it is laughable to suggest he is.

Melbourne would be morons not to be interested in him when they are SUPPOSED to be pushing for a premiership.

He will most likely and should stay though, i don't want some late first or 2nd for him in this Draft. Stay on and make us somewhat watchable and competitive in games next year.

I've already said i don't want him champ :)

Are you having an argument with yourself? ;)
Sounds like you're rattled - "champ", "mate", "buddy" - using those words in an argument is a giveaway that you are!

Run along little Melbourne man and see if you can remember what success looks like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back