Recommitted Jaeger O'Meara [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Played in 70.59% of the games in 2020, played in 81.82% of games this season. His body is falling apart, and will only get worse with age. One injury affected season and O'meara will go for a 3rd round pick.

Let's not even go into the fact that whatever he is will be discounted given his inflated and overly expensive contract. Just like Freo won't get max value for Lobb.
He played 18 games this year. 1 of the games he missed was due to get knocked out. Played 10 out of the last 11 yet his body is falling apart.

I'm sure we will contribute part of his salary to try and ensure we get a better pick.

Now that you have brought up stats.

Disposals:
O'meara - 26
Dunstan - 25

Clearances:
O'meara - 6
Dunstan - 6

Tackles:
O'meara - 5
Dunstan - 5

Luke Dunstan got delisted, with 17 out of 18 clubs thinking he doesn't deserve an AFL spot. Tell me why O'meara deserves anything close to a top 10 or 1st round pick. He is the definition of average.

Also, there is no need to overstate things. Dunstan was not delisted. Dunstan advised st kilda of his intention to exercise his free agency rights. Dunstan had several suitors with Gold Coast reportedly offering the best contract but he chose Melbourne to stay in Vic and for his flag chances.

That's why I highlighted what the players are saying (if they were being shopped they wouldn't activelybe going to social media t suggest they were not leaving) and what Port said (why would they deny? That would be counter-productive to their aim).

On your second point, they are not average numbers. You have highlighted the one exception in Dunstan who is a terrible user and was just picked up by the reigning premier based purely on those numbers. OMeara more than doubled Adams Brownlow votes and its a similar story in the coaches votes. How do you rate Adams? Because from where I'm sitting, omeara would have a very good case to be your best mid right now.
I don't know why you keep bringing our midfield up?

If you look at Adams' games without injuries, he absolutely outperformed O'meara.

But that's not the point. Even if O'meara would hypothetically be our best mid, that says nothing, when I rate our midfield to be bottom 3 in the AFL.

Realistically speaking, only contenders would go for O'meara, and O'meara would be a 3rd/4th best mid at every club in the top 8.

Melbourne - Petracca, Oliver
Port - Wines, Boak
Geelong - Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan
Brisbane - Neale, Lyons, Mcluggage, Zorko
WBD - Bont, Treloar, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba
Sydney - Parker, Mills
GWS - Hopper, Kelly, Taranto, Green
Essendon - Stringer, Merrett, Parish

O'meara is a worse player than every player on the above list.

Adams collected fewer Coaches votes, fewer Brownlow votes and fewer media votes in his non injured games than O Meara. I raise it because you said every club has 3 mids better than him. I also don't agree with a number of the mids you have named as better.

He is not a superstar and a late first is fair value - I was just addressing the notion that Hawthorn are desperate to get rid of him (his name has not been mentioned by any club yet) and that all clubs have 3 mids better. He is not a top 20 mid but is firmly in the next bracket.

Did anyone else find it unusual that Ch7 reported the news about a hawthorn “fire sale” and then in the same report, showed footage of Tom Mitchell training/running with Sam Mitchell? No player is running around with their new senior coach in the off season if he’s being told to look elsewhere surely?

Did anyone else find it unusual that Ch7 reported the news about a hawthorn “fire sale” and then in the same report, showed footage of Tom Mitchell training/running with Sam Mitchell? No player is running around with their new senior coach in the off season if he’s being told to look elsewhere surely?
Yeah that seemed very strange compared to the narrative that we are looking to get rid of him. You would think he would be training more by himself than at the club if we are actively shopping him

Yeah that seemed very strange compared to the narrative that we are looking to get rid of him. You would think he would be training more by himself than at the club if we are actively shopping him

That’s what I thought also. Report today also from Ch7 stating port have said they haven’t even spoken to Omeara.

Now that you have brought up stats.

Disposals:
O'meara - 26
Dunstan - 25

Clearances:
O'meara - 6
Dunstan - 6

Tackles:
O'meara - 5
Dunstan - 5

Luke Dunstan got delisted, with 17 out of 18 clubs thinking he doesn't deserve an AFL spot. Tell me why O'meara deserves anything close to a top 10 or 1st round pick. He is the definition of average.

Cmon man this is literally the stupidest way to compare things surely you know that ?. Just curious what you would expect for Taylor Adams? Because you can compare both his and Jaeger's stats and they're very similar, he is also older. You also talk about his body breaking down he has played 18,12 (fractured hand), 21,21 in the last 4 seasons compared to Adams 14,19,12,23 .

Cmon man this is literally the stupidest way to compare things surely you know that ?. Just curious what you would expect for Taylor Adams? Because you can compare both his and Jaeger's stats and they're very similar, he is also older. You also talk about his body breaking down he has played 18,12 (fractured hand), 21,21 in the last 4 seasons compared to Adams 14,19,12,23 .
The fact that you can't list a single reason why O'meara is a good midfielder, and has to constantly deflect off our midfield/Adams, is already enough said really.

You know this, how?

All the evidence point to a formal firesale, with O'meara included.

And no it's not just trade ratio and SEN, I literally just googled it and found pretty much all major media sources having the same message.

Please do some critical thinking.

if Hawthorn were desperate to move O'meara on he'd be worth nothing, they'd be a major falling out, and he'd have told his manager "find me a new club". None of this has happened.

Similarly, with the BS that Edmund ran with.....how would any club expect to enter negotiations for a good return if the coach is ringing up other coaches 'desperately trying to gain interest' in said players. Its pure nonsense.

The fact that you can't list a single reason why O'meara is a good midfielder, and has to constantly deflect off our midfield/Adams, is already enough said really.

You're comparing Jaeger to Dunstan and I'm comparing his output to Adams and the fact he has Been more durable recently , so I've asked you the question what Adams would go for if traded, im expecting you to say 3rd rounder?.

When Jaeger is at his best he is our best player and this year was easily his best for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is O’Meara’s injury history being over played a bit here? Looking at his past couple of years he appears to be quite fit aside from a couple unavoidable injuries.

This year he missed a game with concussion and 1 with knee soreness. Then another 2 with general soreness early in the year. The fact they were open with stating he was missing a game with knee soreness for a week, makes me think those other two weeks he missed with soreness was another small unrelated injury?

In 2020 he missed games with a broken hand.

While in both 2018 and 19 he played 21 games.

So in 4 years he’s only missed a small handful of games due to his knees and a few from general play injuries. That doesn’t scream someone who is struggling and on the edge of breaking down at any point.

His first 6 games before injury he averaged 30 disposals, 13 contested possessions and a league high 8 clearances per game. Not much more he could’ve done, was AA squad worthy before he get injured

I don't know why you keep bringing our midfield up?

If you look at Adams' games without injuries, he absolutely outperformed O'meara.

But that's not the point. Even if O'meara would hypothetically be our best mid, that says nothing, when I rate our midfield to be bottom 3 in the AFL.

Realistically speaking, only contenders would go for O'meara, and O'meara would be a 3rd/4th best mid at every club in the top 8.

Melbourne - Petracca, Oliver
Port - Wines, Boak
Geelong - Dangerfield, Guthrie, Duncan
Brisbane - Neale, Lyons, Mcluggage, Zorko
WBD - Bont, Treloar, Macrae, Smith, Dunkley, Libba
Sydney - Parker, Mills
GWS - Hopper, Kelly, Taranto, Green
Essendon - Stringer, Merrett, Parish

O'meara is a worse player than every player on the above list.
Taylor Adams is a lot more injury prone than Jaeger

Taylor Adams is a lot more injury prone than Jaeger
Hawthorn supporter logic:

If O'meara is less injury prone than Adams > then O'meara is not injury prone
If O'meara gets more Brownlow votes than Adams > then O'meara is a top end midfielder
If O'meara can be one of the better midfielders in a bottom 3 midfield (Collingwood) > O'meara is an A grade midfielder that's worthy of high 1st round picks

Like I said before, I'm not sure if you're being purposefully ignorant, or you genuinely think this line of thought has any merit. If anything your constant need to deflect off Adams/Collingwood midfield only goes to prove the point that O'meara is an average vanilla mid who lacks both hurt factor and volume.

Biggest barrier to a JOM to Port would be getting him to agree to the move.
I think that’s one of the main reasons Port won’t have talked to the hawks.
They’ll want to keep it quiet until he agrees to avoid stupid click bait ‘O’Meara rejects Power play’ headlines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back