Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

To say Hawthorns list isnt anything but average is a stretch.
Its not their fault, its the system. All those years at the top means no top 15 picks. They took a punt on Garlett, which wasnt too bad at the time, but it didnt work.
In the next year or two three or four of their greats will be gone, and havent been replaced talent wise.
Now they go to the bottom of the ladder and rebuild their list for another tilt.
Their issue was they thought they could copy Geelong and trade back to the top again, but it hasnt worked.

Their issue was they thought they could copy Geelong and trade back to the top again, but it hasn't worked.

Yeah....But unlike the Cats, we actually won more than 1 flag in a row....Actually, it was more than 2 even....Come to think of it, it was 3.:thumbsu:

If any club has the score on the board & the time & patience to re-build slowly & methodically from the bottom again....Then it's us....And we have just the man at the helm who knows how to do it from scratch.

And my money is on young Jaeger being part of our next premiership....Being we're the only club that salutes every decade, for the past 60 years.:cool:

Yeah....But unlike the Cats, we actually won more than 1 flag in a row....Actually, it was more than 2 even....Come to think of it, it was 3.:thumbsu:

If any club has the score on the board & the time & patience to re-build slowly & methodically from the bottom again....Then it's us....And we have just the man at the helm who knows how to do it from scratch.

And my money is on young Jaeger being part of our next premiership....Being we're the only club that salutes every decade, for the past 60 years.:cool:
Im not saying it was a bad thing to do. Im saying the system does this to sucessful teams and you can either bottom out and rebuild like St Kilda did, or you can try and trade in good players from that time frame when you had s**t draft picks like Geelong did.
I dont think Hawthorn has done it as good as Geelong did.

Im not saying it was a bad thing to do. Im saying the system does this to sucessful teams and you can either bottom out and rebuild like St Kilda did, or you can try and trade in good players from that time frame when you had s**t draft picks like Geelong did.

Not a good exemplar, being they've never been to the top of the mountain save once in their lifetimes.

The best example of the rebuild model comes from our own club, circa 2004....A re-build that netted 4 premiership cups.

It's more than obvious that we're lacking hunger & desire at the moment....That will take a 2-3 year transition period to turn around.

You're probably right but its not every day the best player in the comp lives up the road from your home ground and can be acquired for a below market deal.

Last time your club bottomed out you started with 3 picks in the top 7. This year you'll have 1 in the top 50.

Last time your club bottomed out you started with 3 picks in the top 7. This year you'll have 1 in the top 50.

But we've already picked up Mitchell & O'Meara....And we have plenty of cap room for free agents....And last I checked, 2 absolute gun mids still remain unsigned.

And we all know which club hogs the lime-light come October.....Hint: Down Dingley way.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton is a super-star in the making....Sicily is already good, And all of Brand, Stewart, Lovell & Hardwick have a future...Box Hill are 3/0 & we have plenty of good kids developing there.

They don't have to all be first rounders to make it....Sewell, Breust, Young, Suckling etc were all rookie picks & Sam Mitchell was overlooked entirely in his first draft.

Tom Mitchell & Jaeger are both only 23 & will inform the core of our midfield for the next decade.....Gunston & Breust are still only 25 & 26 respectively.

We have a spine of developing talls at Box Hill in Brand, O'Brien, Surman, Nash, Lewis.

We'll be fine.
This may be the most optimistic post I've ever seen. Surman, Nash and Lewis being used in an argument is like us saying Coughlan, Connellan and Pierce are going to develop and make us a better side, why don't we say this? Because they likely won't make it or be anything better than depth players. Surman has the turning circle of a luxury cruise ship and the other two are massive long shots to ever make it at VFL level let alone AFL level, now of course they may, but to use them as examples of why your list is fine is just absurd.

No doubt Burton looks the goods, Brand and Hardwick look solid, Sicily very on and off was OK on the weekend but highly doubt he becomes a 1 or 2 key forward, O'brien very similar, Lovell and Stewart haven't done a whole lot at AFL level. Can Gunston and Breust shoulder the forward line if Roughy doesn't get back to his best? Doesn't appear so at the moment.

Two blokes in the midfield doesn't make a side great there's evidence of that all over the comp, as much as I like Mitchell he's not going to hurt many sides especially with a weak midfield, if JOM gets back to his best he'll be a force that's true, but it's also true he's a long long way from his best and seems to lack a whole lot of explosiveness that he used to have, that may come back or he may turn into a dale thomas, but that's just about the only wait and see bloke you have, the rest are just long shots to be good players with the obvious exception of Burton who has serious talent, and the likes of Brand Hardwick Sicily but again are these the types to make a strong team? Perhaps in your three peat era but not now imo.

Yes you've had hits with late picks but so has every club, and now with no early picks it means you have to nail those late picks, which in a shallow draft won't be easy. Unfortunately the near future is bleak in terms of young talent unless you trade out good senior players which I don't think will happen, but at the end of the day you've been such great club over the last decade and been the envy of every club so just go and watch the three peat DVD and hibernate through the next year or so. I have great respect for what you've done in building a super team with no leg ups (bar a priority pick but hey every club did that in the early-mid 2000s) and some seriously shrewd trading, I don't hate the hawks nor should anyone really, you're the model of how to build a premiership side, but it's time to realise a few years of pain awaits.

FWIW I think the trade was worth it, was a risk that was at face value aimed at propelling them up again for another shot in the immediate future, it hasn't panned out that way with the drop in the quality of the team but that's footy, not all risks pay off, most of theirs has so one bad one is more than acceptable.

That's not surprising, given your a Saints fan.
This is hilarious.
Posts rubbish. Gets a comprehensive rebuttal from a reasoned post. Posts a one liner s**t line about the other posters team, and it doesn't even really make sense.

Embarrassing.
Yep, absolute crap after a fairly balanced post I would've thought. Not surprised you're a united fan as well, let me guess had them locked in for the title this season?

Hawthorn's medical and recruitment staff should be sacked immediately. They have literally destroyed the club for 5+ years.
I'm sure there's worse things a club's medical department could do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back