Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because Zach Tuouy nominated Geelong, doesn't mean he got there for less than market value.

Especially Geelong. Some clubs are better at the trade squeeze than others.. we seem to neg. with players saying we will get the deal done and therefore endup willing to pay whatever to get the deal done. Its rare that we end up paying unders imo.

Especially Geelong. Some clubs are better at the trade squeeze than others.. we seem to neg. with players saying we will get the deal done and therefore endup willing to pay whatever to get the deal done. Its rare that we end up paying unders imo.
However, this makes Geelong a desirable place for players as they know that the Cats will get a deal done and not leave their future in limbo :thumbsu:

I just don't believe in any way, shape, or form- that Geelong (or any club) will get Devon Smith for a third rounder as has been suggested.

However, this makes Geelong a desirable place for players as they know that the Cats will get a deal done and not leave their future in limbo :thumbsu:

I just don't believe in any way, shape, or form- that Geelong (or any club) will get Devon Smith for a third rounder as has been suggested.
Especially when there are sides like St kilda and Richmond with multiple First round picks to trade. I'm sure GWS will absolutely love to get a bag of dicks for one of their best players and not adequate compensation.... :$

He only signed a contract last year.. I think thats done. I like Lever he showed he can play , just do not see us as super keen on him before other options.

Very good I didn't see that
Yeah he would be a good addition to any team but we just don't need another KPD

Id agree it is useful in neg with players, attracting them to the club. Im not sure who is saying R3 ..is there any other trade that has seen that sort of discount due Cap Pressure? Seems well unders. Id be thinking he is less than Treloar but he has played a lot more than someone like Marchbank My guess would be that IF DS specified Geelong , that Geelong would know they are getting a R1 to use in trade thru losing a FA or they have multiple R2's they may get the points that GWS need and satisfy them that way.
But lets not get too distracted. If Lever came back to Vic , it would be another club that would get him. Not Geelong.

Absolutely not. If smith goes to geelong (which i dont expect to happen) it will be for a couple of good 2nd rounders (ie whatever happens the points equivalent of a first rounder). Anyome suggesting we get him for a 3rd rounder is being silly, most geelong fans are more sensible than that.

Absolutely not. If smith goes to geelong (which i dont expect to happen) it will be for a couple of good 2nd rounders (ie whatever happens the points equivalent of a first rounder). Anyome suggesting we get him for a 3rd rounder is being silly, most geelong fans are more sensible than that.
An earlier Vats poster thinks a third will get it done which is what I was referring to.

An earlier Vats poster thinks a third will get it done which is what I was referring to.

Wasn't aware of that sorry, but if so he is off base and in the minority. Most sensible Geelong posters wouldn't suggest that at all.

Mackie and Lonergan are two that spring to mind.

As for trade value, GWS are bursting at the seems and will lose one or two players as a result, and for well under market value.

We're also chasing Devon Smith and a late second or third round pick will get that deal done given the state of GWS' list and their need to release a player or two, and it gives them points.

Hopper, he's expendable given the young talent they've drafted into the club. I can't see them being too concerned.
Oh your chasing Devon Smith for a 3rd rounder? Have fun being told to GAGF by GWS...

And they'll expect you to still pony up a first round pick or a player equivalent. They aren't going to just hand over a good young player for bugger all because you can't come up with a fair trade.
Remember they have to find another first rounder this year before they start looking at who they want to trade in

Does anyone know how they're going to do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if Chris Mayne somehow managed band 2 compo you would think if Motlop leaves they would be entitled to more but nobody really wants Motlop lol

hahahaha i think the issue now is that band 2 compo is easy to achieve if you are the right age but band 1 compo has been tightened so severly that you have to be within the top X paid as a % of all players

given the salary cap is about to go up and players contracts will go up a % with it based on how they negotiated their contracts, plus with players re-signing for more and more. i think motlop would need to get a pay rise to achieve band 1 compo. i just cant see clubs doing that and why would a club trade for a player they could get for free

clubs apparently werent keen on him last trade period, i cant see that significantly changing to where they make an offer to him thats is more than what geelong are currenly paying him

so long story short, i'm still confused as to how geelong will get that first rounder to avoid any penalties. so i'm confused as to how they'd get the picks to secure these GWS players

Well if Chris Mayne somehow managed band 2 compo you would think if Motlop leaves they would be entitled to more but nobody really wants Motlop lol
Mayne was band 3 - band 2 is an end of first round compo, band 3 is the 2nd round compo.

I reckon Motlop will net the Cats a Band 2 pick wherever he goes, and I suppose it will then be up to the Cats to make a minor upgrade by giving another club like Richmond a 3rd rounder or something; they might need points for Patrick Naish (father-son prospect).

Mayne was band 3 - band 2 is an end of first round compo, band 3 is the 2nd round compo.

I reckon Motlop will net the Cats a Band 2 pick wherever he goes, and I suppose it will then be up to the Cats to make a minor upgrade by giving another club like Richmond a 3rd rounder or something; they might need points for Patrick Naish (father-son prospect).

Freo were fortunate in that because they were bottom 4 the difference between end of first round (band 2) and 2nd round (band 3) was basically 3-4 picks, for Geelong it will be the difference between about pick 19 and late 30s. I don't personally think Motlop is worth pick 20 in a trade on current form but they don't base the FA compo on that it's basically age and salary. What will count well in that is Motlop is a relatively young free agent (26) and we know he is currently on 500-550k at Geelong. It's hard to judge compo exactly as they don't release the formula but if you look at the guys who have moved it seems to be that 3-4 years at 400-500k is band 3 (Selwood, Mayne, Higgins, Vickery are all reportedly on salaries in that range and got band 3) and band 1 is only for the very top salaries so you would guess band 2 is more 3-4 years at 600-700k (i am guessing but I would say that's a reasonable guess). Whether Motlop puts out his 2015 form (very good) or 2016 form (relatively poor) will determine whether anyone offers him that I think. Given Geelong has a need for a player of his type I think it's a case of if we expect to get band 2 we will let him go and if we expect to get band 3 we will probably match an offer.

Your other scenario re Geelong trying to trade back into the first round is valid although it's good to remember that we don't know the exact penalties re the 2 in 4 rule (afl as usual doesn't release all the info). Geelong has a number of F/S kids likely for 2018 who we will need to keep picks for so if it's likely the only penalty is the AFL bans us from trading another first rounder until 2020 we may just decide to cop that and not even bother trying to trade back into the first round this year. It's only likely we would try to get into the first round this year if any penalty is more punitive than that.

Back to Lever it seems from what we have heard that he is pretty happy at Adelaide and he has good opportunities there, their tall defender group isn't exactly stacked. I would imagine Collingwood or another club would only be likely to get him if they offer him that much overs in terms of $ that it's just too hard for him to say no to.

Clubs will come hard and offer big deals I mean with Geelong's top end of Dangerfield, Selwood alone command around 1.7 mil cap minimum befores.

I think hopper could be offered 450-550 no problem over 3-4. And more if he has a treloar type second season. Devon smith would be on 600k plus this season so if he gets back to his best would command that and multiple years clubs have future pick options Geelong don't have as well.
Devon Smith on 600k+ is laughable

Devon Smith on 600k+ is laughable

Could be less 500 I don't think so
How is it so laughable ? Based on he re-signed in 2015 with interest from victoria. Just bought a 1 million dollar property in Geelong with no long term contract.

Been rumoured Shane kersten from Geelong got 400-450 over 4.

T.Boyd 1 mil

GWS back then had cola and extra list allowances of salary cap.
Average salary in AFL across the board is 300k

Could be less 500 I don't think so
How is it so laughable ? Based on he re-signed in 2015 with interest from victoria. Just bought a 1 million dollar property in Geelong with no long term contract.

Been rumoured Shane kersten from Geelong got 400-450 over 4.

T.Boyd 1 mil

GWS back then had cola and extra list allowances of salary cap.
Average salary in AFL across the board is 300k
If Kersten is on 400k a year I reckon I'd be in for 200k. If that's what you're paying for that level of player no wonder its a destination club. If Kersten is worth that much Lever would be on 1 million

If Kersten is on 400k a year I reckon I'd be in for 200k. If that's what you're paying for that level of player no wonder its a destination club. If Kersten is worth that much Lever would be on 1 million

Fremantle payed that not Geelong and lever is on a rookie scale deal right now. But could quite easily command 500k plus to the right team. As I said average salary 300k across the board Devon smith would of been runner up at GWS best and fairest around 2014-2015 clubs were chasing him from Vic so with cola and salary advantages GWS 500-600 very possible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back