Traded Jake Lever [traded to Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Skip to 1:02 for actual news

Collingwood, North and St Kilda have supposedly tabled offers.
Lever ranked 6th for intercept possessions in 2016, just his second season; and is known for being such a storng reader of the play. I'm very big on Lever, and think he'll be All-Australian several times so it would obviously be a blessing for him to come to Collingwood (mind you, I'm not sure we have the trade currency to complete a deal anyway)

I've heard he's happy in Adelaide but, so I doubt he'll leave so early.

Wouldn't that be illegal under the current rules, or am i missing something?

Didn't the AFL investigate the AFC after Trigg came out and made a throwaway line that we had Betts stitched up 18 months before he left the CFC? If it is against the rules and offers have been tabled, i'd be expecting an investigation, although i won't be holding my breath

And no i don't want to lose another young gun thank you very much

Fremantle payed that not Geelong and lever is on a rookie scale deal right now. But could quite easily command 500k plus to the right team. As I said average salary 300k across the board Devon smith would of been runner up at GWS best and fairest around 2014-2015 clubs were chasing him from Vic so with cola and salary advantages GWS 500-600 very possible
Would love a figure of where we are paying Kersten 400k per year, would think if we rated him that highly we would have ponied up a bit more an a late 50's pick for him.

Would love a figure of where we are paying Kersten 400k per year, would think if we rated him that highly we would have ponied up a bit more an a late 50's pick for him.

Its really not that much in AFL terms as I said average salary is 300k. He was a free agent he didn't resign with us he's getting paid fractionally more than average 10.2million cap. Paul ahern at GWS no.2 pick that never played a game was earning near 300k in Neafl

Especially when there are sides like St kilda and Richmond with multiple First round picks to trade. I'm sure GWS will absolutely love to get a bag of dicks for one of their best players and not adequate compensation.... :$

His value is very high he is worth first rounder inside 15 for sure and that would be value. Kid is a jet his knee gave him trouble last year didn't see the best of him but when fit incredible talent his value will sky rocket if he plays well this year also going to need to be a huge deal

Especially Geelong. Some clubs are better at the trade squeeze than others.. we seem to neg. with players saying we will get the deal done and therefore endup willing to pay whatever to get the deal done. Its rare that we end up paying unders imo.
You paid under for Dangerfield...

You paid under for Dangerfield...
they did it smart actually
they let Carlton have a 1st rounder for Hendo, then came to you guys with empty-ish pockets.
Should have done like GCS and held out until geelong sold the farm to get you a 2nd 1st round pick.
I think you went a little too pragmatic with the Danger trade. He may well have turned around and stayed if the Cats couldn't pony up what you wanted.

they did it smart actually
they let Carlton have a 1st rounder for Hendo, then came to you guys with empty-ish pockets.
Should have done like GCS and held out until geelong sold the farm to get you a 2nd 1st round pick.
I think you went a little too pragmatic with the Danger trade. He may well have turned around and stayed if the Cats couldn't pony up what you wanted.

Each deal and each group has its only variations. Who knows what happens if the two clubs become entrenched. Perhaps Crows get him and he stays for ever, perhaps he signs for two and walks , perhaps Geelong change the wage arrangements and get him FA .. Imo if a player who is RFA misses on his preferred destination, id estimate the AFLPA would be more likely to press for a change in FA rules. Anyway, from memory the Danger deal was completed first before Henderson.

I have come to the place where RFAs should get compensation and UFA no comp. The whole concept has changed from year ago where players were like indentured servants , and had a huge barney to move clubs. Once players get to FA age there value starts to flatten. The players who have high value and demand a high trade value are the young kids who have shown ability and have heaps of year to come. Players , like JOM and perhaps Lever. JOM was at GC for 4 years , 2 of which were injured. If players like him just leave and get to their prefered destination without some pain, then we may as well just make it all uncontracted players are FA.

Do we really want to go there , its the Lever thread afterall ... we could debate it till the come come home... and it was. And even if we did , which Im not agreeing to... as I said its rare we pay unders.
Just pointing out it isn't as rare as you suggested with your #1 recruit;)

The sheer amount north offered Heeney, it appears that north have the money to challenge most bids.
North would have heaps of room no doubt. If a player nominates a particular club they generally get there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The saints are into him in a big big big way. Hed will walk into our best 22 and play third tall. Basically the perfect Dempster replacement.

I could see us paying him somewhere around 500-700k p.a. on a decent length contract

Would be a perfect replacement. Not sure if he's homesick, I thought he was happy in Adelaide.

It was rumoured that Marchbank turned down a 700k a year offer from Collingwood, Lever could easily command similar type numbers.
We were into Hurley for a rumoured $750-800k, finger crossed we're in Lever's ear.

I'd happily part with two first rounders for him and 600k a year for 3-4 years

not sure many else wood, that seems a touch too much. not doubting the mans ability, gun and would love him but not quite sure.
maybe a first and a 3rd? but you dont want to dip into your first rounders too much anyway as they are your fyfe bargaining chips ;)

Wow, I wondered how a Jake Lever trading thread got to 6 pages. Then I read it and discovered that most of it is Geelong posters talking about who they're going to get from GWS at the end of this year! o_O

Wow, I wondered how a Jake Lever trading thread got to 6 pages. Then I read it and discovered that most of it is Geelong posters talking about who they're going to get from GWS at the end of this year! o_O

I'd want to change the subject away from Lever if I were geelong too. Swapped picks with the crows then picked cockatoo....yeeesh

I'd want to change the subject away from Lever if I were geelong too. Swapped picks with the crows then picked cockatoo....yeeesh
I believe it was Adelaide who instigated the pick swap as they knew they'd get Lever at 14 and were looking to upgrade their next pick, not often I'll go in to bat for Geelong but not sure they deserve any criticism for the trade, Cockatoo may still come long as well

I believe it was Adelaide who instigated the pick swap as they knew they'd get Lever at 14 and were looking to upgrade their next pick, not often I'll go in to bat for Geelong but not sure they deserve any criticism for the trade, Cockatoo may still come long as well

I'm not 100% sure but I think you might be wrong with nearly everything you said

Remove this Banner Ad

Back