Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Walsh is a draft tamperer. He basically told all non vic teams not to dare draft him & somehow got away with it.
Jfh & other non vic draftees don’t have that luxury.
If a non vic draftee said that he would of got whacked by the afl big time.
So what you meant to say is I am grateful I support a Victorian team who receives preferential treatment.
I suspect jfh would have stayed & may have been excited to play under Clarkson but the racism furore forced his decision early. Sad for north, they are already victims in this situation.

Lol Walsh was taken at pick 1 in his draft year, and was happy to play interstate, which is why Gold Coast were desperate to get him ...

Got no idea what crap you are sprouting there.

Port might think 8 and a F1 is fair but not sure you can just give up what you think is fair when trying to pilfer a clubs highly touted #1 draft pick from the year before who is still contracted. North can just say no

Walsh is a draft tamperer. He basically told all non vic teams not to dare draft him & somehow got away with it.
So what you meant to say is I am grateful I support a Victorian team who receives preferential treatment.
I suspect jfh would have stayed & may have been excited to play under Clarkson but the racism furore forced his decision early. Sad for north, they are already victims in this situation.

Chad Wingard ring a bell?

The Boyd/Griffen equivalent is Butters + Pick 8.
LOL. Griffen played barely 50 more games and spent the rest of his career barely getting a kick. Butters is worth 5 times what GWS got out of Griffen.

Jack Darling?

Not every request is draft tampering.

Fremantle and Brisbane fans laid into LDU at draft time because he expressed a desire to stay in Melbourne.

It turned out it was because his father had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and died a few years later.

North were all over Rhett Bazzo last year, but he has a severely disabled brother he is close with and requested he stayed in WA. Clubs obeyed by his wishes, despite slipping into the third round.

You Port fans are delusional - HE IS CONTRACTED which means you have to pay up for a "generational talent" (your list manager said that). Pick 8 and future first is not enough.

LOL. Griffen played barely 50 more games and spent the rest of his career barely getting a kick. Butters is worth 5 times what GWS got out of Griffen.

Who cares what he ended up doing?

What if Butters does consecutive ACL's?

What is only relevant is what he was at the time. Griffen was a multiple B&F winner, the Dogs captain and an AA midfielder.

Mike Sheehan ranked Griffen at #9 in the AFL the year he was traded.

He was the fourth favourite for the Brownlow the season prior to his last at the Dogs.

Wingard told 1 club, not a whole state or the rest of the country.
Wingard was reasonably smart about it - just said that he would want to go home after the first contract was done, and I think that's not wrong.

Yes, it pretty much throws clubs out - but what would you prefer? That he doesn't tell them, and then pulls a Bruhn/Taylor Adams/Boyd/Hoskin-Elliott/Lobb etc?

Players used to tell clubs that they weren't going to be drafted by them and that does contravene the rules. Wingard was clear that he'd play, but he was also unenthusiastic about the project.

You Port fans are delusional - HE IS CONTRACTED which means you have to pay up for a "generational talent" (your list manager said that). Pick 8 and future first is not enough.
Majority of port poster on here have added more than just that so don’t know what you’re talking about.
Have seen
X2 first and bonner
X2 first and pick 27
X2 first and a future 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Horne the best young player in the league?

Where does he rate on the scale of best young players in the league?

How does he rate compared to say ..

Walsh
Smith
B king
M king
Daicos
Brayshaw
Naughton
DeKoning

If they asked for a trade to port 1 year to go on their contract so same circumstances as jhf -what is the price for them?

If Horne is 2 1sts (pick 8 + future 1st) + more picks or quality players what would port have to pay for a better player?

Would love to see some north fans answer that.

Truth be told, there is nowhere else to go. It boxes you into a corner.

If naughton is >>>> jhf

And jhf is worth that haul, what is naughton worth trade wise?

Walsh
Smith
B king
M king
Daicos
Brayshaw
Naughton
DeKoning

If they asked for a trade to port 1 year to go on their contract so same circumstances as jhf -what is the price for them?

If Horne is 2 1sts (pick 8 + future 1st) + more picks or quality players what would port have to pay for a better player?

If naughton is >>>> jhf

Well firstly, Naughtons trade value is irrelevant.

Secondly, if Naughton was contracted, the Bulldogs would make whoever traded for him bleed, or would just hold him to contract.

Wingard was reasonably smart about it - just said that he would want to go home after the first contract was done, and I think that's not wrong.

Yes, it pretty much throws clubs out - but what would you prefer? That he doesn't tell them, and then pulls a Bruhn/Taylor Adams/Boyd/Hoskin-Elliott/Lobb etc?

Players used to tell clubs that they weren't going to be drafted by them and that does contravene the rules. Wingard was clear that he'd play, but he was also unenthusiastic about the project.

Not exactly the same (at least as far as I am aware), but Judd told West Coast as soon as he was drafted "thanks for drafting me, but I will be leaving after 2 years". I actually don't doubt West Coast were aware of the flight risk when drafting him, but backed themselves in to get him to stay. Sure he left eventually, but after 6 years, not 2. I actually think it is better for players to be able to state their preference pretty explicitly. The clubs can then decide whether or not to take the risk.

Not exactly the same (at least as far as I am aware), but Judd told West Coast as soon as he was drafted "thanks for drafting me, but I will be leaving after 2 years". I actually don't doubt West Coast were aware of the flight risk when drafting him, but backed themselves in to get him to stay. Sure he left eventually, but after 6 years, not 2. I actually think it is better for players to be able to state their preference pretty explicitly. The clubs can then decide whether or not to take the risk.
Will the AFL start to put in draftee contract clauses that bind a draftee to their team for the duration of their rookie contract?

Will the AFL start to put in draftee contract clauses that bind a draftee to their team for the duration of their rookie contract?
I think that's a bit far, to be honest. The obvious hypothetical is if a draftee's parent or sibling falls terminally ill during the duration of the contract - in that case, it's completely justifiable that the draftee would seek a move.

If they were to make the contracts three years, or possibly even four years for Round One draftees, then that would change things IMO. Port can get away with hardball this year, because they know that next year JHF is out of contract and they only need to beat whatever Adelaide's first pick might be.

Walsh
Smith
B king
M king
Daicos
Brayshaw
Naughton
DeKoning

If naughton is >>>> jhf

Port aren’t paying for what he is now, they’re paying for what they think he could become. If he reaches his potential, has the tools to be one of the best players in the league later in his career.

Is he better than any of those players now? No.

But could he be later in his career? Certainly. And you’d think he has more years of footy left in the tank than all of those guys given, he’s only 19, which always matters in trades.

Also, I don’t get people arguing that “player X” from their club had a better first year than JHF thus is worth more. It’s a really stupid argument.

Rookies that have the good 1st year aren’t guaranteed to have a star-studded career. And many get delisted with in a few couple of years…too many examples to list.

Even Rising Star winners rarely end up becoming the best player from their respective drafts once their career is dusted.

Edit: Also Naughton will be 23 next month. You're comparing a 23 year old to a 19 year old. 4 years is a big difference in trades. JHF potential is also higher if you'd ask most neutral supporters.
Could JHF be a top 10 player one day. Maybe. Naughton? Probably not.

Last edited:
It’s not a hard question.

If they had one year left on their contract, and asked for a trade to port what would the price be?
If you're talking about Naughton. Like I said:

Will be 23 next month. You're comparing a 23 year old to a 19 year old. 4 years is a big difference in trades. JHF potential is also higher if you'd ask most neutral supporters.
Could JHF be a top 10 player one day. Maybe. Naughton? Probably not.

Should go NBA style give these first rounders 3 years minimum deals. It stops players bending clubs over after a year to go and cry back to mummy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back