Recommitted Michael Hurley [UFA in 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised this completely unrealistic name gets thrown up, but Michael Hartley who is one of the best KPD not getting a regular game, continues to go under the radar. His stocks will raise over the last few rounds.

I’m led to believe Hart’s has had some interest from the Dogs

I love Hurls and as much as I’d hate to lose him I wouldn’t begrudge him if he asked to move or got an offer he couldn’t refuse. I would seriously hope the club wouldn’t be initiating any move though.
We have been through a ton of pain and I’d love for him to be there if/when this team starts playing finals regularly

In the last 5 years we've had a go at Hurley, Carlisle, May and Lever. So I could see us asking him the question again. Money wouldn't be an issue, and we could probably tempt him by adding another year on good money too.
Our first rounder is likely too early to be involved though, so a trade could be awkward. Can't see Dodoro accepting our 2nd.

In the last 5 years we've had a go at Hurley, Carlisle, May and Lever. So I could see us asking him the question again. Money wouldn't be an issue, and we could probably tempt him by adding another year on good money too.
Our first rounder is likely too early to be involved though, so a trade could be awkward. Can't see Dodoro accepting our 2nd.
i would think for him to go, it would be for a club ready to make him richer than we can.
Not sure what cap space the dogs have, but they do have some guns they need to cover. English, Macrae, Bont, Hunter, Naughton.

Once he's at that point that the offers are 700-800k p.a plus, asking for a 1st isn't unreasonable.

i would think for him to go, it would be for a club ready to make him richer than we can.
Not sure what cap space the dogs have, but they do have some guns they need to cover. English, Macrae, Bont, Hunter, Naughton.

Once he's at that point that the offers are 700-800k p.a plus, asking for a 1st isn't unreasonable.

We've apparently got the most cap space in the league now Boyd has retired, and almost all of that list of players is signed up long term. So I've got no doubt we can pay through the nose if needed.

Agree re a first, but because of his age you won't get a top 10 pick without something good going back the other way. You'd think he's only got 3-4 years left.

Xavier Menzies is not to be taken lightly.

If he wanted GC and GC wanted him, I would give them him for unders, whatever that is.

Life without him atm is meaning Francis plays his natural role.

Xavier Menzies is not to be taken lightly.

If he wanted GC and GC wanted him, I would give them him for unders, whatever that is.

Life without him atm is meaning Francis plays his natural role.
Could make the PP GCS get interesting.

If its end of 1st rd, that would be about right.

His injury history isnt that bad. Has played 20 games a season since returning from the bans.
Latest one was an impact injury. Not something that's chronic. Cant remember why he missed 2 last year.

If its Pick 1, perhaps Hurley, 2019 2nd + 2020 1st.

Could make the PP GCS get interesting.

If its end of 1st rd, that would be about right.

His injury history isnt that bad. Has played 20 games a season since returning from the bans.
Latest one was an impact injury. Not something that's chronic. Cant remember why he missed 2 last year.

If its Pick 1, perhaps Hurley, 2019 2nd + 2020 1st.

If I was GC I wouldn't give a PP, but I guess they might be desperate?

i should say, if they get 1 and are told trade this for a mature aged leader to sort you out on-field.

If they get 1 with no strings attached, you take Rowell and Anderson every day of the week.

He's contracted. I can't imagine we'd give them Hurley for less than pick #19 (or equivalent). If the reason he's going is financial, that means his contract is forward-dated, which means we're not saving a heap of salary cap space.

i should say, if they get 1 and are told trade this for a mature aged leader to sort you out on-field.

If they get 1 with no strings attached, you take Rowell and Anderson every day of the week.

100% - they would hope having 2 good mates going QLD together would see them want to stay up there.

Saying that I would be amazed if the AFL give them a start of the 1st round pick. At best it will be at the end of the 1st round - 19.

100% - they would hope having 2 good mates going QLD together would see them want to stay up there.

Saying that I would be amazed if the AFL give them a start of the 1st round pick. At best it will be at the end of the 1st round - 19.

I don't see the point of giving the pick 19, If they give them a PP it has to be before round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see the point of giving the pick 19, If they give them a PP it has to be before round 1.
The AFL have moved away from PP before the 1st round - hopefully forever. Their issue is not early picks - its player retention. They have so many early 1st round picks and they are still struggling. Bris turned things around without before 1st round PP.

Because the AFL has to consider the impact on other clubs. Once again compromising the draft will not go down well, and really isn't fair to the other clubs near the bottom of the ladder. Why should Saints especially be pushed further back in the draft, despite missing finals for so long?

A priority pick at end of first round, especially one that is required to be traded, hits the sweet spot where most clubs have got their first pick in, while also providing a pick that would realistically get them a decent mature player from basically any club. Someone like Hurley, if convinced to come to the GC, could be had for Pick 19, which otherwise may not have happened.

In saying that, I'd rather no priority pick at all, and give concessions in the form of salary cap relief. Veteran's allowance, expanded soft cap on coaching staff, etc.

Its a tough one.
If they are trying to effectively reset the GCS setup, Pick 1 gives them the chance to land the "big fish" again, and try land someone who is going to help, a la Ward/Davis.

Perhaps a better option would be for the AFL to sit in on trade negotiations and offer up the pick based on the player
i.e. If its Hurley, the AFL can put a pick on the table that GCS get, but give to Essendon. And the clubs deal from there.

The AFL have moved away from PP before the 1st round - hopefully forever. Their issue is not early picks - its player retention. They have so many early 1st round picks and they are still struggling. Bris turned things around without before 1st round PP.
Because the AFL has to consider the impact on other clubs. Once again compromising the draft will not go down well, and really isn't fair to the other clubs near the bottom of the ladder. Why should Saints especially be pushed further back in the draft, despite missing finals for so long?

A priority pick at end of first round, especially one that is required to be traded, hits the sweet spot where most clubs have got their first pick in, while also providing a pick that would realistically get them a decent mature player from basically any club. Someone like Hurley, if convinced to come to the GC, could be had for Pick 19, which otherwise may not have happened.

In saying that, I'd rather no priority pick at all, and give concessions in the form of salary cap relief. Veteran's allowance, expanded soft cap on coaching staff, etc.
Probably one for the GCS 2019 thread.

I do agree that it impacts other clubs
However, the last bunch of premiers have all had PP assistance in recent years. there hasnt been much outcry there.
GCS in their current state are a leg up for teams playing them twice. Something Essendon have had the luck of doing once, when we had 2/3 of our team missing (our fault i know).

Its a tough one.
If they are trying to effectively reset the GCS setup, Pick 1 gives them the chance to land the "big fish" again, and try land someone who is going to help, a la Ward/Davis.

Perhaps a better option would be for the AFL to sit in on trade negotiations and offer up the pick based on the player
i.e. If its Hurley, the AFL can put a pick on the table that GCS get, but give to Essendon. And the clubs deal from there.

I will be surprised if they get it this year. But if they did would the Suns look at a package of Hurley and Zaka for the number 1 pick? You would think that Suns would want more than 1 good player and they need more than 1 good player. By the look of Anderson I would hope the Roo's got involved if up for grabs.

I will be surprised if they get it this year. But if they did would the Suns look at a package of Hurley and Zaka for the number 1 pick? You would think that Suns would want more than 1 good player and they need more than 1 good player. By the look of Anderson I would hope the Roo's got involved if up for grabs.
christ, we'd take that and run
And you'd get two guys who are pretty close i think.

Smith likely walks into Zaka's spot next year.
Ambrose Hooker Francis become 1st choice backs with Hartley, BZT and Ridley in reserve (latter is less KP than rebounding 3rd tall)

We add Anderson or Green (if GWS don't match) to a midfield mix of Shiel Merrett Parish Heppell McGrath Smith & Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back