AFL Autopsy Rnd 18: 37 Point loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif
I hope Paddy Ambrose sees this and takes note.

That was close to our worst for the year. Just too loose and no care factor. There are a few things that worry me with the way we play and how dumb it is at times. I do not care about losing or wooden spoons but i do care about bad habits and continual dumb play, stupid handball, playing on quickly when there are no options, small forwards flying for marks in front of the big blokes and very poor clearance positioning and concentration.

The midfield was poor today, the got punished by a bunch of down hill skiers because the simply thought it was going to happen for them and they did not have to work hard enough. The defense was way too loose and the zone was pathetic because no one wanted to work in it to pick up players.

Still after today we should have pick number 1 which may be handy in the PSD and on the trade table.
Francis looked very good. Apart from a couple of mistakes he looked like he belonged and took some strong marks.

Goddard was interesting, was one of our best but gee he had some lazy moments in the first half just siting on the opposition 50 waiting for a cheap possession rather than running in and finding a man when there where 3 or 4 loose. Did not chase his opponent a number of times yet he did make some good tackles and put pressure on at other times.

Cooney is pretty much done really. Still finds it but his finishing is just not there. Do not agree you drop him, he is still working pretty hard and deserves to finish of his career at the top level. Can not agree with bringing in a Redmon or Long for the sake of bringing them in. Redmond had a bit of a shot to see how far he needed to go and should be left to work on his game in the seconds and Long is starting to struggle a little compared with the start of the season.

Zaka was terrible.

Dempsey poor.

McKernan not showing the desperation needed for a bloke fighting for a contract.

Also i have a question on the coaches and that is in a year when results do not matter why is there not more experimenting. Why not say to Hams your best shot may be as a run with player so follow Rockliff around and see how you go. With Zaka not getting in the game ask him to go forward or to half back. Throw Laverde to half back for a bit. We know what Dempsey gives us off half back so if he is in the side play him forward for 3 or 4 games in a row. If Joe struggles push him to CHB. It seems the only bloke they have experimented with in regards to position is Langford. It all seems to be just a bit plain at times.
I know they will be working to a different game plan next season so why not look at a few different things.

And final start advertising for a goal kicking coach now.

Last edited:
If that was an accident, it's clumsy as *. You know there's a bloke there, you jump over him or go around him or something. You don't stand behind him and then kneel on his neck when he inevitably continues to roll in the direction he was already going.

other angles will make clear the picture, but it appears to me that he has entered the contest to cut off the handball, merrett unexpectedly holds off handballing and then dishes it off in another direction instead of directly handballing to the essendon player that is right there, so he goes to tackle merrett and then moves direction to again follow the ball and makes accidental contact to merrett in the process. free-kick paid, nothing more to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only funny thing was watching Sarah Jones not paying attention and nearly getting run over by the Brisbane players as they ran out after half time.

Surely we were tanking, besides good periods in the second and third terms we just never looked like it, too many guys were just jogging.

Francis was good, the kids held their own but the overall reasult was crap.

Brisbane played well, made the best of their opportunities and earned the win, we earned a long holiday. (the fans that is)

Also i have a question on the coaches and that is in a year when results do not matter why is there not more experimenting.

Just on the coaches.

Hayden Skipworth was our VFL coach and never got me excited as a great coach, has been upgraded to our forward line coach and clearly that isnt working. Of all our assistants, his position should be reassessed imho because it is one area that is a real concern.

Very frustrating game but fortunately i've had a few hours in between watching and commenting so i've cooled down.

Positives:
Zac Merrett is an absolute gun. The guy is basically a footballing machine. The guy just never stops producing.
Daniher kicked 4 and actually kicked pretty straight today. I like that even though his contested marking wasn't on he still was able to create a good result for the team through his agility and work rate.
Francis showed his talent out there today and made a real impact in everything he was involved in. Strong marking and very imposing in the one on one contests. Just bodied experienced afl players out of the way. It was like watching a young Tom Hawkins with leg speed. Idle thought i had was that if he gets a full preseason next year - then he could probably play as the second tall forward if we needed him to. Not saying he should but he could play the role closer to goal with Daniher roaming up further.
Parish had another good game. 21 touches and 5 clearances. Perhaps not his best game disposal wise but he won his share of the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a rest this week or next.
Mckenna was hardly dominant but I think you can see his development and improvement as he keeps playing games. He's a nice kick and even though he wasn't able to kick the goals you can see he's growing in confidence and taking the game on more. I would keep playing him every game and I think he can take Dempsey's spot down back by next year.
Goddard had a good value game with some nice intercept marks, mostly good kicking and just generally did a lot of good things. Made one or two blues but was good on the whole.
Gleeson is a debatable one. I thought his run and carry and disposal out of the back half was really good. Also some great intercept marks. On the negative he is very outside for a defender and doesn't enjoy body contact all that much. Not sure what to make of him now or in the future.
Tippa was good but needs to practice his goal kicking. He's a great kick normally so i'm sure its a matter of nailing down a set shot routine. Like him up forward with his pressure and once it hits the ground he's really dangerous.

Negatives:
Mckernan was absolutely horrible. Please stop playing him in the seniors. Well and truly in delist territory right now.
Cooney can't hit a target to save his life. Contested well but messed all his good things up. Leave him in because we don't have anyone else to come in but at years end i would delist him as well.
Dempsey another poor error ridden game. Unfortunately he is such a panic merchant when he gets the ball - he just bangs it onto his boot and kicks it any which way. Pretty poor from an experienced player. May survive the delisting cull but it will be a close call.
Zaharakis - I hear if you just mention the word "tag" to him he replies "You're It" and runs away. I'm sick of hearing commentators rave about the tagging job being done. Every single tagger has made him a complete non factor this year. His only hope is that we eventually get too many good players and he avoids the tag.
Mitch Brown has been good value this year but his 2 misses at goal from basically 15m out right in front were so bad that they actually killed the team momentum. It was like I was witnessing a footballing atrocity watching those shots at goal.
The team's kicking at goal EXCEPT for Joe Daniher.
Everything else.

Of the team from today

Key players for the future
  • Merrett
  • Fantasia
  • Langford
  • Parish
  • Laverde
  • Daniher
  • Francis
  • Zaharakis
  • McDonald-Tipungwuti
Need to move on
  • Cooney
  • Mckernan
  • Dempsey
  • Hams (has shown OK glimpses of late but probably too little too late)
I'm not sure what's the best option re Goddard. Leuenberger has been underwhelming but we need a ruckman and T Bell isn't flash. Dea has been OK but he's a top up player. Kelly is having a mediocre patch and would be OK with him playing on, but is a top-up. Gleeson I am not sure about, but would not delist. McKenna is nowhere near good enough, but should be given more time. Mitch Brown is very ordinary but will stick around. I'm not sure of Ambrose's role in the future but has been solid down back. I'd be keen to somehow keep Hartley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back