Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think with lonie he perhaps didnt do the team things a couple of times that drew irk from the team ... Parker you know you are going to get the team first effort every time regardless of if its the best thing for his personal game .. with Lonie i feel having been so close to being put on the scrap heap in the past he perhaps feels he needs to have a good game himself more than doing the team thing ....
cant fault either guys effort at all as they do give 110% of themselves to the game but i think just on who has the more tools in thier bag of tricks Parker is the way i would lean of the two ... that said a fit Kent replaces both of them so ....
Lonie certainly looked a bit desperate in his last game with some selfish acts presumably to try and save his spot in the side, but I thought he was playing pretty team first football before that.

While he wasn't getting the spoils of goals, I don't have him well behind any of Kent, Parker or Hind… he's ahead of all three on pressure, i50 tackles and gets more of the ball around the ground, is more consistent too.

Hind had an excellent game, his best to date but I thought he probably took a few shots that you would consider selfish if he'd not ended up with 3 and us with a win. The challenge is for him to build consistency so fingers crossed he continues that form.

The aspect of playing three of Butler, Kent, Hind and Parker is that no opposition has enough pacey players to cover them all. So if they lock down on say Butler it still leaves the others.

With our team our speed is a really weapon and we have it everywhere. Coffield and Paton were 5th and 6th at the Draft Combine 20m sprint. Long and Howard have pace too, as does King once he gets going.

The team this season is the quickest Saints team that I can ever recall.

Last edited:
Lonie certainly looked a bit desperate in his last game with some selfish acts presumably to try and save his spot in the side, but I thought he was playing pretty team first football before that.

While he wasn't getting the spoils of goals, I don't have him well behind any of Kent, Parker or Hind… he's ahead of all three on pressure, i50 tackles and gets more of the ball around the ground, is more consistent too.

Hind had an excellent game, his best to date but I thought he probably took a few shots that you would consider selfish if he'd not ended up with 3 and us with a win. The challenge is for him to build consistency so fingers crossed he continues that form.
To be honest I don’t think Lonie is even competing for the same role as Hind anymore.

What we’ve seen from Hind (apart from the Collingwood game) is a player that can take the space in front of himself, hit targets or hit the scoreboard. He’s busy, and his speed makes him a nightmare to match up on.

Lonie is probably competing with Kent more than anything but Kent seems to hit the scoreboard more.

My biggest concern with Lonie is he seems to easy to defend. He’s not overly quick so he can’t get you out the back, he’s certainly not tall enough to be an aerial threat and he doesn’t have a hugely penetrating kick. IMO he’s an undersized midfielder trying to be a forward pocket.
Most of his goals come from drawing a free kick, or coming at the ball carrier and when that’s not working he doesn’t really have another string to his bow to help him get involved.

The aspect of playing three of Butler, Kent, Hind and Parker is that no opposition has enough pacey players to cover them all. So if they lock down on say Butler it still leaves the others.

With our team at spread speed is a really weapon and we have it everywhere. Coffield and Paton were 5th and 6th at the Draft Combine 20m sprint. Long and Howard have pace too, as does King once he gets going.

Without even having to mention Brad Hill and Sonic the Hedgehog

zocQyPoJ.jpg

Without even having to mention Brad Hill and Sonic the Hedgehog

zocQyPoJ.jpg

Yes, as I said we have speed everywhere. We are a very quick team at present.

Sinclair too has a good clip, and is a good link man.

It may even be why Hill as not had has much impact as we thought he should have as we have many quick runners on the outside and off HB, and so he is just one of many we can release to.

Last edited:

With our team our speed is a really weapon and we have it everywhere. Coffield and Paton were 5th and 6th at the Draft Combine 20m sprint. Long and Howard have pace too, as does King once he gets going.

It's such a jump from the previous years. Even the guys that appeared one paced in former seasons appear far quicker off the mark than they were. Amazing what a bit of freedom and confidence can do.

Getting a big look at Top 2 on the ladder this weekend.
I would back our team against a inform Tigers the way we are growing.
Howard / Lynch
Carlisle / Riewoldt
Jones / Cothchin
Steele / Martin

then Hill , Billings , Gresham , Butler , Hunter , Marshall , Membery , King

I fully expect them to fear us

I just want us to roll the Cat's and that will put the wind up everyone.

I haven't really been watching the Suns closely, so maybe they've already done this, but I'm surprised Ben King isn't used in defence more often. Wasn't he drafted as a backman? I would be staggered if they don't put him up against his identical twin brother - obviously he matches him for size and has a better idea than anyone else in the AFL how to play on him. Plus the spectacle would be great! Ratten & co would have at least prepared for it you'd hope.

The King of the Sunshine Coast against the King of the Gold Coast: there can only be victor!

I love the way Hind took the game on backed himself in. We need more of that and I hope he continues to do so....same with Jones, Clark and Butler it's made us infinitely quicker. And those to date at least never die wondering.for too long Richo had our players playing safe football. And this run, gun and overlap footy is a pleasure to watch and very difficult for the opposition to structure up against. We are developing a game style that is predictably unpredictable and is bringing out the best in some players who are getting the best out of themselves and playing to their strengths as opposed to Richo's method which was to have his players within his perceived limitations.

I think it came down to Butler being OOC & their other small forwards being locked in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Richmond mate reckons that they rated Shai Bolton so highly that they needed a forward spot to start getting games into him. Butler got injured at the wrong time and lost his spot and so wasn't getting a game. Other sides came calling and he started to look around. He's pretty involved at the club and has pretty good mail there, he says they would have liked to keep him (could be hindsight lies, now that he looks like a gun).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the way Hind took the game on backed himself in. We need more of that and I hope he continues to do so....same with Jones, Clark and Butler it's made us infinitely quicker. And those to date at least never die wondering.for too long Richo had our players playing safe football. And this run, gun and overlap footy is a pleasure to watch and very difficult for the opposition to structure up against. We are developing a game style that is predictably unpredictable and is bringing out the best in some players who are getting the best out of themselves and playing to their strengths as opposed to Richo's method which was to have his players within his perceived limitations.

Yep nailed it, the thing that makes us so good under Ratts is our bravado, taking on the game. When we go into our shells and play safe we stop and get over run. Richo was a harm minimisation coach. Every game it looked like we were trying not to lose instead of win. Occasionally we knocked over a sleeping side but it was more luck than design. Playing up tempo exciting footy builds momentum and excitement, it starts to make footy fun to play again.

I would back our team against a inform Tigers the way we are growing.
Howard / Lynch
Carlisle / Riewoldt
Jones / Cothchin
Steele / Martin

then Hill , Billings , Gresham , Butler , Hunter , Marshall , Membery , King

I fully expect them to fear us

I just want us to roll the Cat's and that will put the wind up everyone.
Before we talk about beating in in-form Richmond or rolling the Cats, we need to worry about beating Gold Coast because thats not a given. They are a good side, especially at home.

I think Kent is a lock in for a forward position, as he has good goal-sense plus his field kicking is pretty good. Parker probably isn't doing enough in two games to hold a spot, though he has talent. Lonie isn't strong enough to play a good defensive forward role. Maybe we need to get Byrnes back in for a couple more games as I think he can offer a bit and would have learnt a lot from his first game.

Before we talk about beating in in-form Richmond or rolling the Cats, we need to worry about beating Gold Coast because thats not a given. They are a good side, especially at home.
They are capable. And if we play safe and go into our shells we will be asking for trouble.

But we really should be beating them. We are a better side and we have the lovely motivation to go outright 2nd and put a little gap between some of the chasing pack. We turn up to play and approach the game with the same attacking mindset. I'm confident we can take care of them comfortably!

Getting a big look at Top 2 on the ladder this weekend.

Here we go again - setting ourselves up for that St Kilda whack.

I still can not do this. Not quite confident enough to get up and about and think about potential positions on the ladder.

Hard to say week by week when the weeks are now blended in to each other but we can not take this game for granted, well I can't been supporting the Saints with a passion for to long.

Suns will be tough and not to be underestimated.

2009 I remember watching games and expecting wins, I am still not at that stage.

Want to be but not there yet.

IMO the small forwards will be on an ongoing rotation, its a hard role that requires maximum, high octane effort - that is crucial to our game plan.

Mentioned earlier, but this looms as a huge danger game. 8.10 is a s**t time to play on the Coast, will be pretty dewwy by then. The travel down from Noosa to metricon is not ideal

They are capable. And if we play safe and go into our shells we will be asking for trouble.

But we really should be beating them. We are a better side and we have the lovely motivation to go outright 2nd and put a little gap between some of the chasing pack. We turn up to play and approach the game with the same attacking mindset. I'm confident we can take care of them comfortably!
We definitely should be beating them. We have been playing better than them all season so there is no excuses to not win this game.

The dewy conditions we aren't use too and it being at Metricon where we don't play well is the worry for me. We've had a lot of close calls with Gold Coast recently that it's more difficult to have any confidence against them.

Here we go again - setting ourselves up for that St Kilda whack.

I still can not do this. Not quite confident enough to get up and about and think about potential positions on the ladder.

Hard to say week by week when the weeks are now blended in to each other but we can not take this game for granted, well I can't been supporting the Saints with a passion for to long.

Suns will be tough and not to be underestimated.

2009 I remember watching games and expecting wins, I am still not at that stage.

Want to be but not there yet.
Yep, heartache ensured if we start worrying about which spot in the 8 or top 4 we think we’ll end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back