Traded Ryan Bastinac [traded w/ #38, #40, 2016 3rd round pick to Brisbane for #17, #26]

Remove this Banner Ad

17, 26 and 28 for Bastinac is a very good deal for North.
Kangaroos getting 17 and 26 for Bastinac is a huge win for you guys because everyone knows he isn't very good
Bastinac will play some very good footy for the Lions. The move will allow him to play more in his natural position.

He could be though, just needs to flick the switch. Put his arse on a strictly performance based contract and you'll have a different player.

Killed us though cos we should've had a +30 touch a game mid with elite endurance, excellent hands and decent enough by foot player.
Instead we had jogging on the spot, turnstile tackles, and someone lacking in the required self belief.

There's a player there, up to you guys to extract it.

17, 26 and 28 for Bastinac is a very good deal for North.

Bastinac will play some very good footy for the Lions. The move will allow him to play more in his natural position.
What position is that because can't see where he would fit into our midfield
Rockiff
Beams
Rich
Hanley
Would be our starting 4 and North supporters have said he can't play on a wing especially with players like
Zorko
Robinson
Robertson
Bundy
In our team already
What's he like as a forward but then there are players like
Green
Bell
Taylor
Bewick
Already there as medium forwards
Is he any good in defence

Last edited:
Rockiff
Beams
Rich
Hanley
Would be our starting 4 and North supporters have said he can't play on a wing especially with players like
Zorko
Robinson
Robertson
Bundy
In our team already
Green
Bell
Taylor
Bewick

IMO, the average team runs with eight or nine midfielders in rotation on the field (one from HBF, two or three rotating from the forward line) plus another three on the bench.

If Ryan comes into our best 22 we'd probably line up with Bastinac, Beams and Rockliff at centre bounces, one of Rich or Hanley off the HBF with the other on a wing, two of Zorko, Robinson, Bell and Bundy off HFF (Green permanently forward) and a third off the other wing. Taylor off the bench with the remainder of the HFFs, with a third spot for that last midfielder - Lester or Bewick or Robertson or whoever else.

Rockiff
Beams
Rich
Hanley
Zorko
Robinson
Robertson
Bundy
In our team already
Green
Bell
Taylor
Bewick

He is a midfielder who is very handy around goals -kicking snaps in traffic, and getting in the right spots for marking and kicking goals in space - but I wouldn't have thought a forward. Defence even less.

Can get a lot of the ball, especially when it's not too hot (fantastic in VFL and has absolutely killed it against poorer AFL sides), and uses it ok. I'd have thought they want to put him in the clinches and let guys like Rich, Beams and Hanley get it in more space to run and pass. It's been said a lot, but North has kept trying to use Basti more outside in the seniors (with Swallow, Cunnington and Ziebell in close, with Jacobs and Dumont behind them) and he doesn't have the legs, which is why he has been in and out and Gibson became undroppable.

FWIW Basti's first year was brilliant, and he has been important in some very big games for North. There is plenty of talent there to work with.

Never heard of the dude until 3 days ago.

Assumed he was the worst of the slow, plodding inside mids that North have an abundance of. But as a fan of a team in the middle of nowhere (in the AFL world) and a law upon ourselves I guess we have to accept anyone who wants to come here.

This and the Melksham trades appear the 2 most one sided trades of the trade period.

No idea what Brisbane (or Melb) were thinking.

Edit. After seeing the full details of the trade, Bris prob got what they required out of this trade in terms of draft points.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This and the Melksham trades appear the 2 most one sided trades of the trade period.

No idea what Brisbane (or Melb) were thinking.

I think it splits into two trades. The 17 for Bastinac, 38 and 40 part was mooted the night before and made sense. Brisbane only gave up the equivalent of a pick in the 50s under that system. We then got dudded a bit by throwing in pick 26 for the future 3rd rounder. Overall the idea behind that part made sense, but I think we could've gotten better returns elsewhere (looking at GC's trade for Freo's 2016 second rounder).

Didnt you also give up 26? That is what thread title says.

26 wasn't ours at the start of the three way trade (it was Collingwood's) and it wasn't ours at the end of the trade (it went to North Melbourne)

WHO GETS WHAT?

Lions: Picks 38, 40, 2016 second-round selection (St Kilda’s), 2016 third-round selection (North’s) and Ryan Bastinac.

Roos: Picks 17, 26, 28 and 47.

Pies: Picks 34, 53 and James Aish.

WHO LOSES WHAT?

Lions: Picks 17 and James Aish.

Roos: Picks 34, 38, 40, 53, 2016 third-round selection and Ryan Bastinac.

Pies: Picks 26, 28, 47 and 2016 second-round selection (St Kilda’s),

26 wasn't ours at the start of the three way trade (it was Collingwood's) and it wasn't ours at the end of the trade (it went to North Melbourne)

WHO GETS WHAT?

Lions: Picks 38, 40, 2016 second-round selection (St Kilda’s), 2016 third-round selection (North’s) and Ryan Bastinac.

Roos: Picks 17, 26, 28 and 47.

Pies: Picks 34, 53 and James Aish.

WHO LOSES WHAT?

Lions: Picks 17 and James Aish.

Roos: Picks 34, 38, 40, 53, 2016 third-round selection and Ryan Bastinac.

Pies: Picks 26, 28, 47 and 2016 second-round selection (St Kilda’s),
Fair enough. That makes more sense. Thanks.

I had always thought roos won the deal and assumed Bris got shafted. I still think Bris may have overpaid but the actual position of the draft picks not as important as the points.

Pies def overpaid but we got our man.

I stand corrected and will edit my post.

I had always thought roos won the deal and assumed Bris got shafted. I still think Bris may have overpaid but the actual position of the draft picks not as important as the points.

Brisbane got what they wanted. A ready made replacement for Aish who will play for the next half dozen seasons, enough points to secure Keays (a young inside midfielder who will replace Aish long term) and Hipwood (a KP player, some are now touting as a Top 10 pick). We'll also pick up extra points to secure Jacob Allison, who is tipped to go Top 5 next year.

Win / win trade.

It was filed as three separate trades with the AFL, hence the confusion. The thread title uses the official trade but it omits the two associated trades between the Pies and both Brisbane and NM.

Lol I don't think we will Bastinac is serviceable at best best he's definitely not Beams, Rockiff, Hanley their what you call stars the elite players of the Lions team
You've shown throughout trade week that you have NFI with regard to Bastinac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back