Safin, Nadal - OUT of Open

Remove this Banner Ad

m.diddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2004
#11 on AC's list.
Safin won't defend Open title
Sportal

Defending men's singles champion Marat Safin will not be back for this year's Australian Open because of chronic knee soreness.

Safin revealed on his official website he will not make the trip to Melbourne to defend his title, following weeks of speculation.

"I am very sad that I cannot go to the Australian Open to defend my title as champion," he said.

"I have been working very hard and (my knee) is a lot better."

"In my heart I know I want to be at the Australian Open to try to play but I have had to listen to what Peter (Lundgren, Safin's coach), my team and also myself are saying that it would not be right to go to a grand slam and put so much test on my knee right now."

"I am sorry to all my Australian fans, but I will be back next year."

Safin has not played since reaching the Cincinnati Masters quarter-finals last August. The Russian was determined not to undergo surgery, but it may be his only option now after the muscles around his knee have wasted because he has not been able to practise at full intensity.

The news is yet another blow for Open organisers who received word from world No.2 Rafael Nadal on Tuesday night that a foot injury has forced him out of the tournament.

Alicia Molik (virus), Andre Agassi (ankle), Mariano Puerta (drug ban) and Greg Rusedski (first child) will also miss the first grand slam of the year.

Meanwhile, defending women's singles champion Serena Williams has lingering fitness doubts, but practised with her sister Venus at Melbourne Park on Tuesday.

Russian Maria Sharapova also practised on Tuesday unhindered, after pulling out of the Australian Women's Hardcourts on the Gold Coast last week with a shoulder injury, while Brit Tim Henman has continued his preparations, showing few signs of the back injury he has struggled with in recent weeks.

Tournament director Paul McNamee said Jelena Dokic is 'managing' her adductor strain, while Mark Philippoussis is expected to take his place in the Open field despite suffering from back spasms and 2002 Open champion Thomas Johansson is receiving treatment for a sore right shoulder in a bid to play.

Nadal pulls out of Australian Open
Sportal

Rafael Nadal has succumbed to his prolonged foot injury and withdrawn from the Australian Open at Melbourne Park beginning on Monday.

The world No.2 has not played since the Madrid Masters last October where he injured his left foot.

He had begun a new training program in Barcelona, but has decided he would not be fit to play in the first grand slam of the year. He now has his sights on a return at the ATP event in Marseille on February 13.

"The Australian Open is too important to go there and play without the necessary condition to compete well," said Nadal.

"The reality is that I have not played since the final of the ATP Masters Series event in Madrid and I have only been practicing at a high level for the last 10 days, and that is not enough to go into a professional tournament."

"I am especially sorry for those tennis fans who have been supportive throughout my absence and wanted to see me in Australia. We have spoken to the Tournament Director and he has sent me a warm message understanding the situation."

"I know I am young and that I will have more opportunities to play this great event."

Nadal has been undergoing several biomechanical studies in Barcelona and has been working with a new shoe insole to release pressure on the area, which he suffered a fracture on over a year ago, and the inflammation provoked in the surrounding joints.

But his recovery from the injury has taken longer than expected.

Nadal was to be the second seed at Melbourne Park and his absence will mean that American Andy Roddick is now likely to take the No.2 seeding.

His withdrawal is a blow for tournament organisers who have already lost Andre Agassi and Alicia Molik, while defending champions Marat Safin and Serena Williams also have lingering fitness doubts.

Russian Maria Sharapova practised at Melbourne Park on Tuesday unhindered, after pulling out of the Australian Women's Hardcourts on the Gold Coast last week with a shoulder injury, while Brit Tim Henman also continued his preparations, showing few signs of the back injury he has struggled with in recent weeks.

Looks like the mens is going to be quite boring without Nadal, Safin, Agassi and if the Poo and Johansson pull out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back