Preview Season Opener; "The War In Heaven": Etihad Stadium (H), Saturday 25 March 2017, 4;35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely we arent gonna talk about this match for nearly 4 months :eek: LOL.
We can go back to whether BLK's demise is the harbinger of the apocalypse if you'd prefer?

Is it me but does this speculation about who has the better list remind you of 2004 and the same conversation that was centred around Geelong and ourselves?

And the forecasted rivalry?

Only this time, which club has the champion team and which the team of champions?

I wonder.......

(There: that should get us away from talking about the match for a bit)

Collingwood 2002 - Lose Grand Final
Collingwood 2003 - Lose Grand Final
7 years later in 2010 - Collingwood win Grand Final

St. Kilda 2009 - Lose Grand Final
St. Kilda 2010 - Lose Grand Final
7 years later in 2017 - ????

;)

Pies made the finals in 2008 I think.

God, I feel old...

I know I am one-eyed but I am shocked the bookies have started us as underdogs even if it is barely ($1.95 to dees $1.85).
Considering we always beat the dees and they can't win at etihad I just assumed we would get the nod.
Money to be won I guess ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come round 1 it will be 10 years since Joel Selwood made his debut

A decade has just flown by
The bizarre thing is for me that I left Australia in 2003, and have only been to two matches live since then, the last being GT's last game as coach, the final vs Sydney in 2006? I've watched more than a few on TV since then of course but it's not the same...

So despite being totally into footy on a daily basis, there are only a handful of players still in the game that I've actually seen play live, and most recent players' careers have started and ended during that time. There are scores of players I don't even recognise the names of, even more that I wouldn't recognise in a picture, most of the Richmond Tigers for example. I still think of the Selwoods as just starting out and have no idea what the hell a Kade Kolojazznee is, some kind of RSI for banjo players?

When I think about how long I've been away, it's staggering how much I'm still into it. Thank God for the internet!

The bizarre thing is for me that I left Australia in 2003, and have only been to two matches live since then, the last being GT's last game as coach, the final vs Sydney in 2006? I've watched more than a few on TV since then of course but it's not the same...

So despite being totally into footy on a daily basis, there are only a handful of players still in the game that I've actually seen play live, and most recent players' careers have started and ended during that time. There are scores of players I don't even recognise the names of, even more that I wouldn't recognise in a picture, most of the Richmond Tigers for example. I still think of the Selwoods as just starting out and have no idea what the hell a Kade Kolojazznee is, some kind of RSI for banjo players?

When I think about how long I've been away, it's staggering how much I'm still into it. Thank God for the internet!
Was against Melbourne, the last time they beat us all those years ago :p

Surely we arent gonna talk about this match for nearly 4 months :eek: LOL.
I am. I'm fed up with the offseason already and bored to the extent that I've read nearly the whole main board which comprises mostly Bulldogs supporters being floggy.

I'm actually quite happy about the round one matchup. I think it will be a first real look at what kind of coach Goodwin plans to be. The Saints have been very effective at running over us, and to a significant extent I think coaching and style could determine the winner rather than just looking at personnel.

God I'm bored though. Someone please say something interesting. Quirky or stupid will be enough. No need to go overboard

I am. I'm fed up with the offseason already and bored to the extent that I've read nearly the whole main board which comprises mostly Bulldogs supporters being floggy.

I'm actually quite happy about the round one matchup. I think it will be a first real look at what kind of coach Goodwin plans to be. The Saints have been very effective at running over us, and to a significant extent I think coaching and style could determine the winner rather than just looking at personnel.

God I'm bored though. Someone please say something interesting. Quirky or stupid will be enough. No need to go overboard
ChrisRyanSaints latest suspension is probably due to end in a couple of days, so I'm sure he'll be happy to oblige with something inflammatory or outlandish!

ChrisRyanSaints latest suspension is probably due to end in a couple of days, so I'm sure he'll be happy to oblige with something inflammatory or outlandish!
What did he do?

Scratch that. Stupid question. I think I read most of it on the main board. People misunderstand his rugged brand of charm.

Echo your sentiment about missing football... although can't bring myself to read too much of the main board.

I suggest visiting the non footy related boards... eg general forum, etc.

For round 1, the biggest issue will be whether Savage can really breakthrough to be an elite rebounder... Half back rebound in the Aussie Jones mould is the biggest missing ingredient now (assuming we consider clearances and defensive height issues are fixed).

Echo your sentiment about missing football... although can't bring myself to read too much of the main board.

I suggest visiting the non footy related boards... eg general forum, etc.

For round 1, the biggest issue will be whether Savage can really breakthrough to be an elite rebounder... Half back rebound in the Aussie Jones mould is the biggest missing ingredient now (assuming we consider clearances and defensive height issues are fixed).
Interesting idea. Savage is a great pickup for Saints. If he steps up a level will be amazingly valuable. He's a really penetrating kick. I wish we had him.

I still reckon Savage played his best footy for us in that 6 or 7 week patch at the end of his first season with us, when he was first tried down back. Was just killing it week after week (until his season-ending injury) and giving us a hell of a lot more run than we've seen from him in most of the couple of years since. Would regularly get the ball around the back 50m line, run around someone like they were a witches hat, run it about 30m and then thump it 55m inside 50, or hit someone up on the lead.

I fully believed at the time that if he played a full season like that and was playing in a good team in particular that he could make an AA team and that's still what I want to see from him. He didn't seem to be able to handle tags though (which he started to get early the following season, after a couple of excellent weeks to start the year), so maybe he doesn't have the fitness or something to be able to do it when someone's sitting on him.

Even though i didnt wanna talk about the upcoming match for 4 months i am happy to talk about our last 14 games Vs the Dees:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back