SFNL Div 1 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

quite possible

that would mean starting back after June 6 with a September 19 Grand final (12 weeks)

I think any footy that we may get to play would be worth it at this stage. We all love the game and not being able to play eats at a lot of blokes.

quite possible

that would mean starting back after June 6 with a September 19 Grand final (12 weeks)

If you think any type of contact sport will be permitted as early as June you really don't grasp the situation were in at the moment. September is the earliest possible date for any of these strict social distancing measures to be eased off IMO.

If you think any type of contact sport will be permitted as early as June you really don't grasp the situation were in at the moment. September is the earliest possible date for any of these strict social distancing measures to be eased off IMO.
Kiss football season goodbye I'm afraid

On the plus side, a lot of clubs saving $100,000 - $150,000 in player payments should the season not go ahead

All clubs would just be at $0 would they not? No money coming in and no expenses. Surely leagues aren’t asking for money still??

There is zero chance a season will get underway in time for it to have any meaningful purpose.. Best case the clubs are allowed back to train Late June, would need at least 3-4 weeks to prepare to play. Only chance it becomes feasible is if Cricket are prepared to push back the start of their season to January and have football go through until early December. Otherwise the only alternative is to simply write off the season and start fresh in 2021.

[QUOTE="ItsAllAboutMe, post: Only chance it becomes feasible is if Cricket are prepared to push back the start of their season to January and have football go through until early December. Otherwise the only alternative is to simply write off the season and start fresh in 2021.
[/QUOTE]
No chance of cricket doing that. In the Sfnl the teams that compete from a cricket point of view would span around 5 different cricket leagues

Needs to be a happy medium.

Footy Season really needs to play IMO, even if it is a delayed start. Footy is such a way of life and will help bring everything back to normal again.

Football:

July through to finals in November/December then break over Xmas/New Years.

Cricket:

Turns into a One Day Season running from Jan-April, every team would still get to play each other at least once.

That is if we can get back out on the field by July for footy 🤞🏽

Don’t know what the answer is but know a lot folks are missing the footy, especially at local level!

Footy Season really needs to play IMO, even if it is a delayed start. Footy is such a way of life and will help bring everything back to normal again.

Football:

Cricket:

Turns into a One Day Season running from Jan-April, every team would still get to play each other at least once.

Don’t know what the answer is but know a lot folks are missing the footy, especially at local level!
That’s actually not a bad idea and could have some merit!

Football:

Cricket:

Jeez are you trying to play an early April Fools day joke.
Iv been involved in a cricket club that has a stand over football club as a co Tennent.
Over the years they have put presser on my club to start training as early December and when told no they go to a non senior Cricket training night which is a junior cricket night run over our wet turf wicket the local council don’t do a thing they have made threats against the cricket club to force us out of our home base which we have been at over 100 years.
So in saying that I hope the local football can make a start play a shorter season finish around mid September .
But knowing football clubs the cricket clubs will get screwed again and again with football going into November.
I just hope that football club rots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a realistic scenario, but would take some strong leadership from who ever is the relevant authority to step in and force the decision because no chance Cricket voluntarily agree to this..

Football:

Cricket:

There is zero chance a season will get underway in time for it to have any meaningful purpose.. Best case the clubs are allowed back to train Late June, would need at least 3-4 weeks to prepare to play. Only chance it becomes feasible is if Cricket are prepared to push back the start of their season to January and have football go through until early December. Otherwise the only alternative is to simply write off the season and start fresh in 2021.

The chances of cricket season being pushed back would be close to zilch!

3 reasons

Reason 1: COUNCILS. They still have to prepare cricket turf wickets. My local council usually start preparing the centre wicket area late August early September for start of October. You would be asking for a centre wicket area to be produced in November to December before the Christmas break, during when you would have the new proposed footy season. Then you'd have to find a ground not being used for finals over 3 divisions. Moorabbin is only 1 ground

Reason 2: The DDCA, Cricket Bayside, SECA or Subbies rely on participation for the respective league to stay financially viable. They're are not going to take a hit & have their season being disrupted or halved for an out of season sport, especially when cricket saw a lot of rain abandoned or heated off matches this season. You could potentially have a 5 game cricket season. Won't happen

Reason 3. You'll being expecting players to play a grand final in December which potentially could be over 30 degrees given that is is summer.

Sorry

The chances of cricket season being pushed back would be close to zilch!

3 reasons

Reason 1: COUNCILS. They still have to prepare cricket turf wickets. My local council usually start preparing the centre wicket area late August early September for start of October. You would be asking for a centre wicket area to be produced in November to December before the Christmas break, during when you would have the new proposed footy season. Then you'd have to find a ground not being used for finals over 3 divisions. Moorabbin is only 1 ground

Reason 2: The DDCA, Cricket Bayside, SECA or Subbies rely on participation for the respective league to stay financially viable. They're are not going to take a hit & have their season being disrupted or halved for an out of season sport, especially when cricket saw a lot of rain abandoned or heated off matches this season. You could potentially have a 5 game cricket season. Won't happen

Reason 3. You'll being expecting players to play a grand final in December which potentially could be over 30 degrees given that is is summer.

Sorry

All of those points will be irrelevant because Martin Pakula 'Victorian Minister of Sport' will over rule the local councils and local sports associations to ensure that an amicable solution is reached for both Cricket & Football.

Something along the lines of

Local Footy season, August 1st - December 5th (18 weeks)
Cricket season, Dec 12 - April 10th 2021 (18 weeks)

and then will be a slight delay to the 2021 footy season, but am sure they can plan around that.

Cricket gets pushed back a little, but lets be serious most of November is a wash out for most local cricket comps anyway and this ensures we get to have both Cricket and footy run succesful comps, instead of one sport being selfish.

All of those points will be irrelevant because Martin Pakula 'Victorian Minister of Sport' will over rule the local councils and local sports associations to ensure that an amicable solution is reached for both Cricket & Football.

and then will be a slight delay to the 2021 footy season, but am sure they can plan around that.

Cricket gets pushed back a little, but lets be serious most of November is a wash out for most local cricket comps anyway and this ensures we get to have both Cricket and footy run succesful comps, instead of one sport being selfish.

I like your optimism.....

I can see the Local Leader newspaper headlines now though "local football grand Final cancelled due to heat."

Yes, you're right, games can be played at night, but that's only the senior game. 19s & Reserves will have to be played during the day still.

Also I'm sure Bayside City Council will tell Martin Pakula "yeah no worries, we can prepare Jack Barker oval (traditional finals venue) turf wicket as well as every oval from Beaumaris to Elsternwick within a week, leave it with us" :D

One would be living in a dream world if local football is to be played for more than a 12 week season if at all this season. Lets be realistic here

I like your optimism.....

I can see the Local Leader newspaper headlines now though "local football grand Final cancelled due to heat."

Yes, you're right, games can be played at night, but that's only the senior game. 19s & Reserves will have to be played during the day still.

Also I'm sure Bayside City Council will tell Martin Pakula "yeah no worries, we can prepare Jack Barker oval (traditional finals venue) turf wicket as well as every oval from Beaumaris to Elsternwick within a week, leave it with us" :D

One would be living in a dream world if local football is to be played for more than a 12 week season if at all this season. Lets be realistic here

The temperature at the start of December is far from extreme, average temp over past 10 years on December 5 is 22 degrees, s dont see that as an issue. If the league are concerned could have shorter quarters.

RSEA park doesnt have a turf wicket.... could look at Sandringham or multiple other options to play finals where there is no turf pitch and the councils would have 5 weeks to prepare a pitch.. Nothing is easy and nothing is perfect, but the 2 codes and government are going to need to come together to ensure local sport survives..

I like you’re thinking. I’m equally fond of both sports but surely there is room for compromise here. If we could fit in say a 12 round H&A season a modified 2-week final series - wk. 1: 1 v 4 & 2 v 3 with home ground advantage to higher ranked teams and then wk 2 we have a GF, we could still get a meaningful season in we can play until mid-November.

I know I am being extremely optimistic but lets try and look at some positives. Even if delayed until 1 July, I remain hopeful that with some common sense we can still see some decent footy

(Btw Trevor Barker oval turf wicker removed several decade back with the demise of the old Sandringham CC that played in the VTCA.

Jeez are you trying to play an early April Fools day joke.
Iv been involved in a cricket club that has a stand over football club as a co Tennent.
Over the years they have put presser on my club to start training as early December and when told no they go to a non senior Cricket training night which is a junior cricket night run over our wet turf wicket the local council don’t do a thing they have made threats against the cricket club to force us out of our home base which we have been at over 100 years.
So in saying that I hope the local football can make a start play a shorter season finish around mid September .
But knowing football clubs the cricket clubs will get screwed again and again with football going into November.
I just hope that football club rots

My comment was not intended to be a footy v cricket competition.

Just some ideas to get the ball rolling for a chance to play both.

A number of local cricket clubs have agreed in recent years that a move to a one-day competition may help get many players back that have left due to the season being a 2-day comp.

Anyhow, this is a footy forum. Would be great to get a season in, even if played in 30 degree sunshine!

They also don't have any income from matches, functions and potentially sponsors to raise those funds.
How many sponsors will be around? Clubs are going to really struggle finding new sponsors willing to put their hands in their pocket in the next 12-24 months.

How many sponsors will be around? Clubs are going to really struggle finding new sponsors willing to put their hands in their pocket in the next 12-24 months.
Might be a wake-up call for all clubs (and not just in the SFNL) to stop paying ridiculous amounts to moderately performed suburban hacks. Plenty of recent examples of clubs learning the hard way and that was in prosperous times. If clubs try and sustain a culture of paying overs and trying to buy flags when sponsors and supporters are being forced to tighten the belt then they will disappear in no time.

Interesting scuttlebutt over on the Div 3 page about a round robin tournament over 2 days

Funny, I heard the same thing from a bloke linked to HO last week. He also said maybe 3 or 4 week training block allowed before it to include praccy games as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back