Club Focus St Kilda 2020 - Crouch, Frawley, McKernan, Higgins, Allison, Highmore

AFL Club Focus

What does St Kilda need to focus on most this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I do not want Goldstein. Getting anyone in of his age in is pure madness to me. Secondly he is a No 1 Ruck and that would hamper and not assist in Marshall's development. Having two genuine No1 rucks does not normally end well for one of them.

If they traded Marshall out the fans may well burn down Moorabbin! He has been the main beacon of this season and after the Hannas flop, if they traded Marshall to say that it would not go down well is a vast understatement. His rate of improvement this year has been stellar. He is likely to win, or go close to winning, the B+F this year and many argue that he is currently our most important player.

There is no way that he would be traded. It would take a godfather offer and I doubt any club would stump up enough.

Steven (not Stevens) no one knows about. Rumours abound that the Cats want him. He is contracted but having missed most of this season with mental health issues any trade would be problematic. He is evidently back training at the club, but is not yet playing.

If one accepts that we need more good young, to mid aged players, then if the offer is good you would expect that the club would look at it. But would the offer be good? Probably not. Though if Ablett retired at the end of this season the Cats may be more tempted.

Geelong are probably only likely to offer their R2 (currently 36) for Steven, they may offer a slightly better R2 if they get it via other trades but I'd say that's about the max they'd offer. He's a class player but with his age and 12 months out of footy I can't see them getting a R1 for him from anyone. They definitely would have last year but not this year.

Do they trade their top pick for multiple later picks possibly!

Move on an Acres for a late 30's / 40's pick.

Hit the draft and also target free agents to soak up the cap for two years.
Acres has been disappointing and looks to have gone backwards. In light of that, I would be OK offering up West Coast's second (likely to be mid to late 30's) for Acres and see if he will rediscover some form.

When we discussed a couple of years ago, Saint's posters seem to want a first rounder which looks way overs for me. Any thoughts?

I mentioned on our board that I think it's worth trying to get hold of the Giants two picks.

Its a very even draft past the top 2 so we might be able to give one pick up in a trade or even try to kill two birds with one stone in the draft.

If that pick ends up being 3, Giants will likely be able to shoot up the order to use it on a Young and not have to use high picks on Greene. Could be a win/win.

Acres has been disappointing and looks to have gone backwards. In light of that, I would be OK offering up West Coast's second (likely to be mid to late 30's) for Acres and see if he will rediscover some form.

When we discussed a couple of years ago, Saint's posters seem to want a first rounder which looks way overs for me. Any thoughts?
His value has dropped so I'd prefer we keep him and see if a new coach can get a rise from him. Seems to tick so many boxes but just looks to lack enthusiasm and energy.

I mentioned on our board that I think it's worth trying to get hold of the Giants two picks.

Its a very even draft past the top 2 so we might be able to give one pick up in a trade or even try to kill two birds with one stone in the draft.

If that pick ends up being 3, Giants will likely be able to shoot up the order to use it on a Young and not have to use high picks on Greene. Could be a win/win.

Good idea actually if they will go for it.

Problem with saying first rounder, second rounder, is with 18 teams in the comp that's a big spread. Dealing with a team at the top of the ladder, the Eagles second rounder is going to be pretty late which makes it that much less appealing, that second rounder you got from Sydney would be a more likely target. He's not out of contract so we don't have to just take what is offered, can always back him in with a new coach.

Depends how much you value the potential of a pick vs what you've seen of Acres.

Acres has been disappointing and looks to have gone backwards.

Only one game, but Ratten used him much more as a mid today than Richo typically did and he played one of his best games for the year. It also helped that Ratten had the team playing more attacking and direct football. Only one game though, but it will be interesting on how he plays out the year under Ratten.

According to this data, St Kilda are:
- 2nd tallest, averaging 189.3cm
- 4th heaviest, averaging 86.9kg
- 7th oldest with an average age of 24.2 years
- 15th most experienced, averaging 62.4 career games

In terms of selected teams this weekend I think only the GC were younger than the Saints and the Saints were much younger than the Dogs who are regarded as a young team. Even the Blues (25 yrs 2 months) were older. Injuries are a reason of course, but there are certainly a lot of younger players on the list and certainly in the 22 that has played most weeks.

Average Attributes​
St KildaAttributeWestern Bulldogs
187.6cmHeight187.0cm
85.6kgWeight85.0kg
24yr 3mthAge24yr 11mth
73.3Games89.4

All depends on how we finish the year off in regards to our draft pick. If we lose out I would hate to see our top 5 pick traded because there is some elite talent there I really really like Caleb Serong who goes more than likely in the 3-6 range. At this point we need elite class we have enough good players we now need the cream to go with it.

If we can't land a big name keep digging for gold lions showed You can get depth on the cheap..

Brodie for 3rd
Draper for future 33rd

Would you accept a pick in the 40’s for hunter clark?

Highly rated young kids who’ve had injuries and also areas of Teir games to work in.m in in the reserves.

If you don’t think that’s fair for clArk, it’s not fair for Brodie.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you ranked all the midfielders in the competition - how far down until you got to a Saints player?

The answer- a long way down.

Would you accept a pick in the 40’s for hunter clark?

Highly rated young kids who’ve had injuries and also areas of Teir games to work in.m in in the reserves.

If you don’t think that’s fair for clArk, it’s not fair for Brodie.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I read the post meaning the 3rd pick, not the third round. (Not that I agree with it)
Unless someone thinks Draper’s value is close to pick 600 in the 33rd round of the 2019 draft.

Would definitely not trade Acres unless we were getting something a bit better than that. Has more value to us than a pick in the late 30’s/40’s.

What’s the value of Dunstan?
Mid second I reckon. Fell out of favour earlier in the year but has bounced back well. Would likely be top 5 in the b and f, I think someone said he's ranked 13th in the league for average clearances.

Always seems to play very low minutes for some reason. Some think it's his lack of tank but I think more likely lack of versatility.

Mid second I reckon. Fell out of favour earlier in the year but has bounced back well. Would likely be top 5 in the b and f, I think someone said he's ranked 13th in the league for average clearances.

Always seems to play very low minutes for some reason. Some think it's his lack of tank but I think more likely lack of versatility.

Would love him at the pies. We need clearance players.

Late 2nd to 3rd at best TBH. Not much x-factor about him, not the best inside mid either and pretty slow. You can get a CEY who offers similar (ok, so I don't see much of Saints) for about a 4th rounder

Back