Club Focus Sydney Swans 2023 - Grundy, Jordon, Hamling, Adams, Dow (?)

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

How did that pan out on GF day?

Swans need a decent physical ruckman who can contest against other big rucks and opposition big inside mids.

You get what you pay for.
yep, Swans ruck depth is limited.. Hickey getting close to retiring, and Ladhams needs to pull his finger out. Swans are ok this year, but theres a good chance they'll be looking to trade a ruck for next year.. we'll see how the season plays out.
Tall forward is a much greater need! 2024 there'll be no Buddy and a good chance Reid will be gone too. McDonald needs support, Amartey and McLean need big years. Theres a few tall forwards around next trade period and I reckon the Swans will be happy to use all there draft capital and salary cap space to get the right one.. Swans dont need more draftees

yep, Swans ruck depth is limited.. Hickey getting close to retiring, and Ladhams needs to pull his finger out. Swans are ok this year, but theres a good chance they'll be looking to trade a ruck for next year.. we'll see how the season plays out.
Tall forward is a much greater need! 2024 there'll be no Buddy and a good chance Reid will be gone too. McDonald needs support, Amartey and McLean need big years. Theres a few tall forwards around next trade period and I reckon the Swans will be happy to use all there draft capital and salary cap space to get the right one.. Swans dont need more draftees
Who are the tall forwards you have in mind?

How did that pan out on GF day?

Swans need a decent physical ruckman who can contest against other big rucks and opposition big inside mids.

You get what you pay for.

It happens no one would have beaten Geelong

Going forward cash will be an issue.

Heeney, papley and Mills all signed on 6 year deals. In their prime, their managers aren't letting them take unders.

Warner is going to get godfather offers.

Logan will be fielding offers of 600+ from wce.

I'm tipping errol to breakout this year and establish himself as one of the competitions elite...pushing his value up.

Blakey will attract significant interest, likewise stephens.

Swans are probably in the toughest position list wise right now in regards to retaining players

Who are the tall forwards you have in mind?
The question is Who does Beatson have in mind? Ive no idea!
Harry Himmelberg, Jake Riccardi, Georgiades, Koschitzke, Larkey, Marshall, ???? plenty more OOC & pre-agents

It happens no one would have beaten Geelong

You may be right however one glaring issue was lack of bigger bodies on the inside. After Warner there wasnt too many big strong mids or a big aggressive ruck to turn the tide. Losing Kennedy later in the season hurt the Swans balance and contested ball.

Now thick Angus Sheldrick may help there, the kid is really rated on the Eagles board and would love to have him.

Still feel the Swans need a bigger more physical ruck. Hickey is more mobile and skillful, Ladham's is still developing and not a bash and crash tackling ruck, more of a forward / ruck.

You may be right however one glaring issue was lack of bigger bodies on the inside. After Warner there wasnt too many big strong mids or a big aggressive ruck to turn the tide. Losing Kennedy later in the season hurt the Swans balance and contested ball.

Now thick Angus Sheldrick may help there, the kid is really rated on the Eagles board and would love to have him.

Still feel the Swans need a bigger more physical ruck. Hickey is more mobile and skillful, Ladham's is still developing and not a bash and crash tackling ruck, more of a forward / ruck.

I’m less concerned with inside bodies we actually did pretty well on the inside actually that game. Warner was close to best on and he’s a gun. We have two mids in our academy this year too.

Most the players we had drifting through the mids are in their first few years. Based on the midfield mix we've been going with, I suspect the list management team were working towards a flag a little later than 2022, but we made it to the Grand Final early than most would have been expecting.

The likes of Warner, Rowbottom and Stephens will continue to put on size. Of those, Warner and Stephens still haven't played 50 games. Rowbottom has only played slightly more.

I don't think we should make dramatic changes to our list management plan because we got belted in one game by a much more seasoned and experienced side.

Most the players we had drifting through the mids are in their first few years. Based on the midfield mix we've been going with, I suspect the list management team were working towards a flag a little later than 2022, but we made it to the Grand Final early than most would have been expecting.

The likes of Warner, Rowbottom and Stephens will continue to put on size. Of those, Warner and Stephens still haven't played 50 games. Rowbottom has only played slightly more.

I don't think we should make dramatic changes to our list management plan because we got belted in one game by a much more seasoned and experienced side.

Is aiming to bring in a more physical ruck presence a dramatic change to list managent?

It isnt.

See from you footer note you must have missed the 2018 season and decider. Lol.

Swans list weakness is its talls. That is plain to see. I wouldnt say the list has most of its next flag team already on it. Some key talls definately need addressing. And a decent ruck.

But the Swans went for a small forward at the draft with their first rounder. The cherry on top of the cake.

Franklin and Reid have one season in them. Then its Armatige and McDonald with Francis and Melecan?

McDonald looks promising. The other 3 havent shown a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is aiming to bring in a more physical ruck presence a dramatic change to list managent?
Because there's sooo many of those going around that are legitimately quality players. I've seen enough of Ladhams to back him in over any legitimately gettable alternative in the mould that you're suggesting.
See from you footer note you must have missed the 2018 season and decider. Lol.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
Swans list weakness is its talls. That is plain to see. I wouldnt say the list has most of its next flag team already on it. Some key talls definately need addressing. And a decent ruck.
A team that made the Grand Final last year with far more scope for improvement than regression hasn't got most of its next flag team already? This is just a dumb guess and doesn't mean anything.
But the Swans went for a small forward at the draft with their first rounder. The cherry on top of the cake.

Franklin and Reid have one season in them. Then its Armatige and McDonald with Francis and Melecan?

McDonald looks promising. The other 3 havent shown a lot.
I don't know if McLean or Amartey will make it, but they are young forwards that have already played in big wins and teams that have put big scores on the board, so I'm not overly worried that our list management approach wasn't to draft players we don't rate because they might eventually fill a need if they defy our expectations. For example, if we rated the available forwards and rucks as having a similar ceiling to McLean and Amartey, what would be achieved by adding more of them to the list?

Pretty mediocre list imo
Kinnear Beatson (Swans list manager) will have a much better idea of who's mediocre than you or I. He'll also know who's willing to live in Sydney and how much they'd want to be paid.. therefore knowing who's available
Come 2024, The Swans forward line will consist of McDonald, Papley, Heeney and Hayward.. all of whom are capable of kicking 40+ goals. Theres a few other goal kickers through the midfield and a few options to fill the remaining two spots in the forwards.. Scoring isn't the issue.
Maybe we only need a mediocre tall? Maybe we can only get a mediocre tall forward??
Theres lots to play out before that decision is made

fwiw.. I dont mind the idea of a highly mobile tall forward - Himmelberg, Jake Riccardi, Georgiades, Koschitzke (dont know much about Koschitzke)

Kinnear Beatson (Swans list manager) will have a much better idea of who's mediocre than you or I. He'll also know who's willing to live in Sydney and how much they'd want to be paid.. therefore knowing who's available
Come 2024, The Swans forward line will consist of McDonald, Papley, Heeney and Hayward.. all of whom are capable of kicking 40+ goals. Theres a few other goal kickers through the midfield and a few options to fill the remaining two spots in the forwards.. Scoring isn't the issue.
Maybe we only need a mediocre tall? Maybe we can only get a mediocre tall forward??
Theres lots to play out before that decision is made

fwiw.. I dont mind the idea of a highly mobile tall forward - Himmelberg, Jake Riccardi, Georgiades, Koschitzke (dont know much about Koschitzke)
Like I said, not much quality in that group. Maybe Georgiades, but he'll stay at Port or go west imo.

You dont know your own footer?

Weat Coast Wonders
Sweet FA
Yes, a BigFooty fantasy football team. Nothing to do with the Eagles.

Not sure about that. Swans are very light on for quality rucks and KP forwards. McDonald is developing and will be one.

Also need an elite KP defender.

And those take years to develop.

Swans will be throwing serious cash at Himmleberg. Exactly what they need.

Agree we're light on for quality rucks and KP forwards; and that McDonald is developing and will be one.

Don't agree we need an elite KP defender. Agreed with this more a couple of years ago but since then we've moved Tom McCartin back and got Paddy McCartin in and both have proved great successes. We've still got Rampe and behind them we've got Will Gould, Aaron Francis and Lewis Melican. Plus Nick Blakey is not, and never will be, a KPD - but he is 196 cm and he can help out. So we've got the cattle and the back-ups. Wouldn't say no to another elite KP defender of course!

I think Himmelberg is a worthwhile target. Barrass is totally off the table - we had our shot and we got Paddy McCartin instead for a fraction of the price. TDK is all the talk but he'll go elsewhere and to someone prepared to pay him more than we or the Bluebaggers can.

The dream would be having the players already on our list develop - but I think that's pretty optimistic when we're talking about Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean. Could also consider swinging one of the McCartins or Frang forward.

Agree we're light on for quality rucks and KP forwards; and that McDonald is developing and will be one.

Don't agree we need an elite KP defender. Agreed with this more a couple of years ago but since then we've moved Tom McCartin back and got Paddy McCartin in and both have proved great successes. We've still got Rampe and behind them we've got Will Gould, Aaron Francis and Lewis Melican. Plus Nick Blakey is not, and never will be, a KPD - but he is 196 cm and he can help out. So we've got the cattle and the back-ups. Wouldn't say no to another elite KP defender of course!

I think Himmelberg is a worthwhile target. Barrass is totally off the table - we had our shot and we got Paddy McCartin instead for a fraction of the price. TDK is all the talk but he'll go elsewhere and to someone prepared to pay him more than we or the Bluebaggers can.

The dream would be having the players already on our list develop - but I think that's pretty optimistic when we're talking about Joel Amartey and Hayden McLean. Could also consider swinging one of the McCartins or Frang forward.

Paddy is a concussion away from retirement and is solid not elite. The small SCG suits him to a tee.

None of the others are elite either.

Found isn't kp defender. Ramped is how old?

There was a reason they chased Barrass and a reason why McCartin was cheap.

Paddy is a concussion away from retirement and is solid not elite. The small SCG suits him to a tee.

That defence was the 4th best in the comp last year, which is pretty bloody good considering
T Mac has played only 50 games back there and has just turned 23yo
P Mac has played 20; Blakey has played 30; Florent about 20 games and Fox about 25. Only Rampe and Lloyd have any significant experience.
The medical reports Ive heard which are supported by the fact the Swans gave Paddy a multi year contract, suggest his health re concussion is fine.
Defensive depth include Francis and Gould (who is undersized, but only 2cm shorter than May). Gould could well be a very good player, and now Francis is out of the Bombers, we'll see what he can do. We also drafted Edwards last year - 19yr 8mth; 197cm, 100kg and runs the 20m sprint in 2.87 sec. He played a few VFL games for the Swans last year

Our tall forward needs are far greater. Coming in next is our ruck needs. Buddy, Hickey and Reid may all retire this year. Ladhams hasn't earned the trust of anyone and below him theres only 2 developing rucks. McLean is limited (agility, speed ) Amartey is injury prone (and comes across as lazy), Logan is a 3rd year player
ps.. The SCG is only a few meters shorter and a couple of meters narrower than the MCG

Much more worried personally who partners Logan up forward. Our defence isn’t too bad yeah we need that big defender but who doesn’t.

It’s the key forward and maybe a ruck we need. Everything else is done

That defence was the 4th best in the comp last year, which is pretty bloody good considering
T Mac has played only 50 games back there and has just turned 23yo
P Mac has played 20; Blakey has played 30; Florent about 20 games and Fox about 25. Only Rampe and Lloyd have any significant experience.
The medical reports Ive heard which are supported by the fact the Swans gave Paddy a multi year contract, suggest his health re concussion is fine.
Defensive depth include Francis and Gould (who is undersized, but only 2cm shorter than May). Gould could well be a very good player, and now Francis is out of the Bombers, we'll see what he can do. We also drafted Edwards last year - 19yr 8mth; 197cm, 100kg and runs the 20m sprint in 2.87 sec. He played a few VFL games for the Swans last year

Our tall forward needs are far greater. Coming in next is our ruck needs. Buddy, Hickey and Reid may all retire this year. Ladhams hasn't earned the trust of anyone and below him theres only 2 developing rucks. McLean is limited (agility, speed ) Amartey is injury prone (and comes across as lazy), Logan is a 3rd year player
ps.. The SCG is only a few meters shorter and a couple of meters narrower than the MCG

If you think the SCG isn't a significantly different ground to playing the MCG then you don't understand football.

That has been discussed and agreed by players and coaches for a very long time.

If you think the SCG isn't a significantly different ground to playing the MCG then you don't understand football.

That has been discussed and agreed by players and coaches for a very long time.
The playing surface is bigger than it was 20 years ago.. Its about the same size as the Gabba.
I agree its a different ground, very deep pockets etc (even the cricket pitch adds another element).. but so is the Adelaide oval, so is Geelongs home ground etc. All grounds are different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back