Club Focus Sydney Swans 2023 - Grundy, Jordon, Hamling, Adams, Dow (?)

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I don't think we are as desperate for an inside mid as much as people think. I expected our contested ball numbers to go up if we get grundy

Contest is our biggest problem. As shown in our last two finals as Carlton and Geelong beat us up there.

A big body mid releases Warner and Rowbottom into more attacking roles. The latter has played this role over the last year or so as a stop gap but it is not his natural position.

I really do like Sheldrick as a long term inside mid option, and think he looks comfortable at the level.

However he is a 7 gamer and we can’t expect him to carry the midfield.

I think we should look at a Dev Robertson type, 23/4 yo with a few years under the belt and starved for opportunity. Not the greatest kick but he can take the physical heat.

Would love Steele but he ain’t leaving.

Would really love Wines but like Steele he ain’t going anywhere. ppl have jumped off him but he had no preseason and was chasing his tail all year, he’ll be back next year.

I was keen on Hopper last year, is exactly what we need but that ship has sailed.

Shiel and Smith are 100 miles off being inside mids and we have plenty of outside runners as is.

In terms of ‘glamour/ high profile players’ , historically we have tended to go for tall forwards on that space ie Capper, Lockett, Hall, Buddy etc

I strongly agree that we need an inside mid and have so for the past couple of years however there aren’t a lot of good ones around let alone available.
Shiel is the epitome of an inside mid. Actually watch him play. He's a clearance gun.

Calling him outside is about as dumb as saying that Warner is an outside mid

Shiel is the epitome of an inside mid. Actually watch him play. He's a clearance gun.

Calling him outside is about as dumb as saying that Warner is an outside mid

LOL no he’s not

Cripps, Neale , Liberatore Jnr and Tom Green are the epitome of inside mids.

Shiel is a quick mid with questionable disposal and he sleeps with the lights on. On top of that he can’t get a regular game with Essendon.

LOL no he’s not

Cripps, Neale , Liberatore Jnr and Tom Green are the epitome of inside mids.

Shiel is a quick mid with questionable disposal and he sleeps with the lights on. On top of that he can’t get a regular game with Essendon.
Soft? Can't get regular games?

He's averaged 4.9 clearances a game across his career (above average), has a CP average of 9.4, which certainly not the level of the above but it's hardly at the level of someone who's "soft".

Also, can't get regular games? Please point out the last time he played VFL for us. Oh wait, you can't. Because he hasn't.

Come back when you learn something about football. Should only take you 10-15 years.

I don't think we are as desperate for an inside mid as much as people think. I expected our contested ball numbers to go up if we get grundy
I think we are, when teams have the taller mids Issac Heeney has to play on the ball because he's the only one with the strength to go with them

Sydney potentially going a bit nuts this trade period

Grundy
Jordon
Hamling
Adams
Dow (?)

Those are quite a few players, and all to crucial areas where the Swans are lacking. Would be great to land all 5, and hope they are all either in the best 22 next year or close to it.
Lol surely the AFL can't let us have that much success. A 15 year trade ban if it happens

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grundy
Jordon
Hamling
Adams
Dow (?)

Those are quite a few players, and all to crucial areas where the Swans are lacking. Would be great to land all 5, and hope they are all either in the best 22 next year or close to it.
Who makes way from your 2023 best 22 for these guys?

Grundy
Jordon
Hamling
Adams
Dow (?)

Im not sure why sydney are bringing in adams he is the wrong age for them and almost cooked physically. You could say the same about hamling.

Im not sure why sydney are bringing in adams he is the wrong age for them and almost cooked physically. You could say the same about hamling.
Hamling makes sense.. comes free (draft capital) and pretty cheap (salary cap).. Fills an absolute need.
Adams is a strange one????
Good question.
Grundy for Hickey (obvious)
the rest of them are depth. Swans need a clearance player, but Id rather rely on Grundys input and the development of Rowbottom, Warner, Sheldrick, Gulden etc to improve in the clearances.

Three have retired Paddy, Bud, Hickey aka Ruck Jesus were best 22

Clarke will be delisted. He was selected quite a bit.

Stephens is up for trade inc to WCE if a deal is not worked with nmfc.

Parker will play fwd and share midfield time with Taylor. Hayward in turn plays back or provides depth.

So IF it all happens-

Grundy replaces Hickey
Adams shares mid time and fwd time with Parker. Hayward to the 2s as depth.
Jordan gets time on the wing
Hqmling replaces Paddy M and is ahead of Arnol, Francis and Melican

Parker will play fwd and share midfield time with Taylor. Hayward in turn plays back or provides depth.

So IF it all happens-

Grundy replaces Hickey
Awww thanks Horry. I knew I could count on you.

Its an interesting strategy. They clearly think they are in the window.

4 experienced players through the door, and who knows how many more.

Most intriguing part is they have thrown the kitchen sink at Larkey and Naughton. Are they not convinced on Logan Mcdonald long term? Do they think he is a flight risk?

If I'm him I'm asking questions as to why they went so hard at these two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most intriguing part is they have thrown the kitchen sink at Larkey and Naughton. Are they not convinced on Logan Mcdonald long term? Do they think he is a flight risk?

Geelong have Hawkins and Cameron. Why can't Sydney have the same?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Logan is a lead up forward, not the best contested mark.

Atm at the top level he is a tall hff

Gets beaten in the air or brushed aside to easy still.

He will probably s**t on me and hope he does but I still think he will be a 2nd tall option at best and never a number 1 kf contested brut
He has been living in Buddy's shadow tho

Atm at the top level he is a tall hff

Gets beaten in the air or brushed aside to easy still.

He will probably s**t on me and hope he does but I still think he will be a 2nd tall option at best and never a number 1 kf contested brut

His a 20-21 year old KPF.

His developing more than fine and I am looking forward to a long career in the red and white.

So IF it all happens-

Grundy replaces Hickey
Hayward to the 2nds?

Reckon Crows would be keen to trade him in.

Sydney certainly appear the most active club with Horse going all in.

So everyone can agree that we won the trade period, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your trophy is in the post, unlike our real trophy 😉

In all honesty, I am a pies fan living in Sydney so I really dislike the swans but have ultimate respect for how the club operates.

My dislike may subside a bit with adams and Grundy now there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back