News Ted Richards to retire at the end of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my fondest memories of Ted was 2009 against carlton. We were getting belted that day and the endevour and never say die attitude of Ted. Went back with the flight of the ball and got collected with Fev and Bolton. Massive hit and had a punctured lung and broken ribs. He walked off but coughing up blood. I hoped that he wasnt delisted at the end of that year. For him to serve for another 6 years was such a blessing and a spectacle to watch his rise after that season ending injury. He was a true champ then and is one now.

Well done SuperTed. We will all miss you!

One of my fondest memories of Ted was 2009 against carlton. We were getting belted that day and the endevour and never say die attitude of Ted. Went back with the flight of the ball and got collected with Fev and Bolton. Massive hit and had a punctured lung and broken ribs. He walked off but coughing up blood. I hoped that he wasnt delisted at the end of that year. For him to serve for another 6 years was such a blessing and a spectacle to watch his rise after that season ending injury. He was a true champ then and is one now.

Well done SuperTed. We will all miss you!

I remember there was a thread about him when he had his breakout year. He started off in round one playing like an absolute gun, took a few rounds for people to catch on to the gun he'd become. He still had his detractors early in the season but everyone was on board soon enough.

He's been a club legend ever since

Legend.

Was unfairly treated at Essendon and must have struggled with it a bit.
Would have been frustrated and confused with his very short and infrequent opportunities to prove himself in various different difficult positions (Sheedy gave him far less chances than we've given Reid in those roles) and came to Sydney as a very unsure footballer at the crossroads.

Played a good year and great Grand Final in 06 then was out of the side the following year and his career seemed on the brink again.

From that point on however he went about improving his footy like a man possessed.

He got back into the side, became a great student of the game, worked super hard on learning how to be a gun key defender, and once he did work it out my god he was magnificent.
He played the game in such a heroic manner, constantly put himself on the line for everything.
You could never question his endeavour.

After L.Barry/C.Bolton retired (before Reg had truly arrived and while LRT was injured) he was suddenly the team's number one key back and whilst initially it was tough and it seemed like he had been thrown to the wolves (with no accomplished key defenders to support him), eventually he relished the responsibility and became perpetually reliable.
There were many days where he almost single handedly saved our hides in crunch-time late game situations with his desperation, courage, temperament and knowledge.

He got better and better every year to the point where he was in my opinion the best key defender in the league during 2012 and 13.

His performance on Buddy on a cooked leg in the 2012 GF I'll never forget.

He was like the Jonathan Brown of defence.

Another classic tale of the underdog getting up, and with no exception to all of the Aussie Rules underdogs that turned into legends, Ted's career was one of persistence, determination, progress and finally in 2012 the ultimate success, all led by a wonderful head on his shoulders and a massive heart.

I loved watching the way Leo Barry, Craig Bolton and Andrew Dunkley went about it but if I had to pick one Ted would be my full back in my all time best Swans team.

And Teddy was more than just the heroic general of the back six, he was also an absolute ripper bloke that cared about his teammates and cared about the club.
An intelligent extrovert, hilarious and original with an infectiously morale-boosting personality, with his retirement we're sadly losing yet another great character of the game in a time where the league has so few of them.

Absolute champion of the club.

Will miss ya Ted.

Last edited:
I great servant of the Club who got everything out of his body and stood up when we needed him to.

Little brother seems to be finding his way now. Wishing Ted all the very best upon retirement. Not only a good footballer but a good bloke to have a chat with.

Ted... the embodiment of the bloods and a truly great bloke!! You will be missed... but you will always be remembered at the Swans as the bloke who gave his all, who never gave up, and best of all, that bloke who took on Buddy and won!!! :D

Best of luck with your future mate, you will be missed in our house....

Legend.

Was unfairly treated at Essendon and must have struggled with it a bit. Would have been frustrated and confused with his very short and infrequent opportunities to prove himself in various different difficult positions (Sheedy gave him far less chances than we've given Reid in those roles) and came to Sydney as a very unsure footballer at the crossroads.

Played a good year and great GF in 06 then was out of the side the following year and his career seemed on the brink again.

From that point on however he went about improving his footy like a man possessed.

He got back into the side, worked super hard on learning how to be a gun key defender, and once he did work it out my god he was magnificent. He played the game in such a heroic manner, constantly put himself on the line for everything. You could never question his endeavour.

After L.Barry/C.Bolton retired (before Reg had truly arrived and while LRT was injured) he was suddenly the number one key back in the team and there were many days where he almost single handedly saved our hides in crunch-time late game situations with his desperation, courage and knowledge.

He got better and better every year to the point where he was IMO the best key defender in the league during 2012 and 13.

His performance on Buddy on a cooked leg in the 2012 GF I'll never forget.

He was like the Jonathan Brown of defence.

Another classic tale of the underdog getting up, and with no exception to all of the Aussie Rules underdogs that turned into legends, Ted's career was one of persistence, determination, progress and finally in 2012 the ultimate success, all led by a wonderful head on his shoulders and a massive heart.

I loved watching the way Leo Barry, Craig Bolton and Andrew Dunkley went about it but if I had to pick one Ted would be my full back in my all time best Swans team.

Great bloke too. Absolute champion of the club. Will miss ya Ted.
Summed it up beautifully.

I wonder if McGlynn will follow him at the end of the season. Hard to see him breaking back into the team barring injury.

Hard to see him going around again next season, wonder if he'll see if any other clubs are interested?

1 game ban
He accepted it too (rather than fought it) so he obviously doesn't want to risk an extra week and not play the last NEAFL game in a few weeks.

While it's doubtful IMO, any chance of returning to seniors would depend on that final H&A NEAFL performance. He needs to spend the week preparing and come out and smash it if he's any chance to reclaim his senior spot.

He accepted it too (rather than fought it) so he obviously doesn't want to risk an extra week and not play the last NEAFL game in a few weeks.

While it's doubtful IMO, any chance of returning to seniors would depend on that final H&A NEAFL performance. He needs to spend the week preparing and come out and smash it if he's any chance to reclaim his senior spot.
In the run up to the finals, if one of our defenders goes down we have an experienced player who knows
what it is all about. Dont put the cue in the rack, just yet! Come finals Teddy has the experience and ability to read the play and team up with his old mate Grundy for the last time!

In the run up to the finals, if one of our defenders goes down we have an experienced player who knows
what it is all about. Dont put the cue in the rack, just yet! Come finals Teddy has the experience and ability to read the play and team up with his old mate Grundy for the last time!
No doubt about any of that. 110% agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back