News Ted Richards to retire at the end of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

We obviously knew this was coming, he could have called it quits last year after the concussion he sustained in the Schulz tackle, I was really worried for him at the time, but he courageously played on and even added a couple of highlights to the reel this year such as his goal against the Eagles. His commitment to this club cannot be questioned. I'm proud to have chosen #25 for my 2012 premiership guernsey after a very rigorous selection process, thanks for the memories Ted. :thumbsu:

Very sad, but hasn't he left the club in a good state? If it was the start of the year I'd be all doom and gloom, but with the rise and rise of Sir Dane and now Shand, Reg in career-best form, Smooch shining again, Laids waiting in the wings (and even Jenny, assuming he can re-gain the trust of the club), our defensive stocks are looking very positive.

Definition of great club man.

We've been truly blessed by the quality of individuals who have come through this club in the last 20 years. He'd be right up there with any peer you'd care to mention.

I've hated seeing him go down injured in the last 12 mths. Glad he's going out on his own terms.

In addition to everything that was mentioned in this thread, I just wanted to point out that during his peak, he was a gun to watch.

I've lost count the amount of times I've watched the ball sail into our defensive 50 with Ted battling his opponent one on one and being able to say without a shadow of a doubt "teddy's got this". And he never let me down.

People go to the footy to watch forwards put on a show, but I got just as much joy watching teddy absolutely dominate his opponent and the backline. I'd cheer harder watching teddy do the impossible time after time than I did when the ball went up the ground and went through for a goal.

Loved watching him play.

Thanks Ted. Hope he reads this thread because you won't hear a single negative comment come from a swans fan.

The best calves in the AFL.

If you've ever been to a swans game and heard some (probably drunk) bloke yelling out & carrying on about Teddys calves or boots then it was probably me! I love the bloke for his demeanor, his personality, his skill and his attitude and determination in the face of a challenge. There's one more challenge to go for Ted, scrapping & fighting his way into the side to play along side Xav... It's a long shot but I'm certain he'll fight his arse off for even the slightest chance of that happening.

He, Grundy, Mattner, AJ, Smitty, 'Eski & Shaw... There's an awesome defensive set up. One that, at it's peak, was the most solid reliable in the AFL week in week out. Teddy was the general of that group. He was the leader and the "defensive captain" down there. His value and worth to the club cannot ever be overrated IMO.

What a legend Teddy is.

I remember Marty Mattner for his closing speed.
I'll remember Teddy as one of the best readers of the ball off the boot.

Xavier's turn now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Ted!!! what a career turnaround.... could not have won the flag in 12 without you. Will be remembered as one of the hardest working and well liked swans in club history.

Hopefully he decides fo go into coaching....seems like a very inelligent fella
Nah, finance, it looks like.

What a legend! I'll miss being able to scream out "I love you Ted Richards" from just behind the statue of Yabba. But I'll miss even more the safety of seeing him in the backline when the opposition are bombing it in long. And I'll continue to try to forget he ever played with the Bombers.

Sad day, but a chance to celebrate a wonderful champion of this club.

Thanks for everything Teddy. You will forever be one of the definitive reasons we won the 2012 flag.

(Torn between wanting him to have a send-off match but not wanting to see him named again this year)

Jobe Watson will retire now

Well done ted what a superstar, got everything out of himself. The way he took on the games monsters time and time again and went from a spud to a star was amazing

First of glad he's not quitting right now- if injury strikes he'd still get a call up.

Second- what a player. A great club man, from his media work (ask a swan and his columns) to the fact he was one of our most consistant players for years. Great player, great Swan and should be spoken highly of- disappointing form/injuries/concussions of late but I'm glad he's going to retire with his health and having not fallen of too much.

I'm a sucker- but I wanted ROK to get a farewell game and tbh I want Teddy to get a farewell game with his brother- he's been such a battler for so long and it couldn't hurt to give Aliir/Grundy somebody a rest last game at home.. although I'd bet Grundy would want to play again with Ted!

First of glad he's not quitting right now- if injury strikes he'd still get a call up.

Second- what a player. A great club man, from his media work (ask a swan and his columns) to the fact he was one of our most consistant players for years. Great player, great Swan and should be spoken highly of- disappointing form/injuries/concussions of late but I'm glad he's going to retire with his health and having not fallen of too much.

I'm a sucker- but I wanted ROK to get a farewell game and tbh I want Teddy to get a farewell game with his brother- he's been such a battler for so long and it couldn't hurt to give Aliir/Grundy somebody a rest last game at home.. although I'd bet Grundy would want to play again with Ted!
If someone was sore & there wasn't a week off before finals I'd be all for having him come in. It's not like he's useless or wouldn't contribute.
However, momentum is so important leading into finals. I can't see any blokes obviously in need of a rest. (In fact, I'm annoyed Double A didn't get in the side earlier! Experience with teamates is vital for him leading into fimals).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back