Injury The Medical Room: 2020 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Greenwood is one (of quite a few) I hope we get back soon. I'd love to see him back in the middle picking up the oppositions most damaging mid, I know tagging isn't Buck's style however I think a defensive minded mid who can run with the best mid for the oppo but can also find his own footy, like Levi can, is a nice addition to our side. Would probably mean a Mayne or Wills type doesn't play as you wouldn't want too many defense first mids, but I think Greenwood playing that role offers more than those 2 anyway.

ADAM Treloar is facing a race against time to feature in Collingwood’s likely finals charge.

It’s understood Treloar’s latest hamstring setback, initially thought to be “minor” by coach Nathan Buckley, will ultimately sideline him for 5-6 weeks. But the midfielder is expected to make it back as one of three big inclusions for the Pies on the eve of the finals.

Jeremy Howe (knee) and Jordan De Goey (finger) are considered highly likely to play again this year in what would be a huge boost for Nathan Buckley’s side. Treloar had got himself into peak condition before suffering his latest soft tissue injury against Sydney at the Gabba on August 6.

The luckless midfielder had already been hit with separate hamstring and calf strains this season.

Unless something changes, Treloar is expected to be available for selection by mid-September – right at the end of the home and away season.

Despite his struggles, Treloar is motivated and desperate to get back. As is his close mate Howe, with the pair doing a lot of their rehab together at the club’s Queensland base.

Howe is said to be weeks ahead of schedule in his recovery from a ruptured PCL and medial ligament damage suffered in a gruesome collision against GWS on June 26.

Despite major doubts he would make it back this season, the athletic defender’s rate of recovery has stunned observers.

A chance meeting last month with members of Essendon’s medical team in the Gold Coast “transition hub” saw the Bombers staff surprised with how much progress he had made.

De Goey is all but certain to return for the business end of the season after undergoing surgery in Perth on July 17 to repair the flexor tendon in his right middle finger.

The forward, who kicked five goals in a best-on-ground performance against the Cats in Round 7, has been able to maintain fitness while sidelined.

The trio’s progress comes as Collingwood gets set to potentially welcome back all of Darcy Moore, Scott Pendlebury, Jamie Elliott and Will Hoskin-Elliott for the important clash with Melbourne on Saturday.

Treloar's hammy is worse than first thought.
5-6 weeks now and might be back for finals.

Howe is well ahead of schedule and will play again this season.
You should have prefaced your post with "Do you want the good news or the bad news ;)...?"

Treloar's hammies are proving to be a concern. However, that's brilliant news about Howe - we miss him.

I was rapt to read this from the on-line article

"Howe is said to be weeks ahead of schedule in his recovery from a ruptured PCL and medial ligament damage suffered in a gruesome collision against GWS on June 26.

Despite major doubts he would make it back this season, the athletic defender’s rate of recovery has stunned observers.

A chance meeting last month with members of Essendon’s medical team in the Gold Coast “transition hub” saw the Bombers staff surprised with how much progress he had made.

De Goey is all but certain to return for the business end of the season
after undergoing surgery in Perth on July 17 to repair the flexor tendon in his right middle finger.

The forward, who kicked five goals in a best-on-ground performance against the Cats in Round 7, has been able to maintain fitness while sidelined.

The trio’s progress comes as Collingwood gets set to potentially welcome back all of Darcy Moore, Scott Pendlebury, Jamie Elliott and Will Hoskin-Elliott for the important clash with Melbourne on Saturday.

"Howe is said to be weeks ahead of schedule in his recovery from a ruptured PCL and medial ligament damage suffered in a gruesome collision against GWS on June 26.

after undergoing surgery in Perth on July 17 to repair the flexor tendon in his right middle finger.

Yep.

Overall that article is extremely positive news.

By the North match we should have close to our best 22 on the park (Treloar, JDG and Howe the only omissions). And at this stage there's no season-ending injuries to any of our best 22 (though we'll see what they say re: Sier and his knee).

The injuries, whilst not being ideal, are not as bad as previous seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most frustrating part is that once again the media have the breaking story about an injury. I wish the club would make it their mission to always advise of injuries first.

Right now all we have speculation; no idea on severity, etc.
Bad news either way. Whether the media reports it or the club does, makes no difference. I wouldn't feel any better if Walsh tells me that Sier is injured, as opposed to some anonymous tweet.

With Pendles and Elliott back, would he have held his spot?
Shame for him though, the guy cannot take take a trick!!

While Treloar is out definitely. Sier was ahead of Wills too going by recent selection. Sucks just as he was working into some form.

Awesome news on De Goey and Howe!

I don't see why it would be. Injuries are part of the game, all players know that. You're just overreacting because of your disappointment.

I agree injuries are part of the game, But compare for example Bris to us the last two years. They’ve basically had full list, and Then this year, we’ve barely had any soft tissue, it’s just been horrid luck.

also factor in it’s usually most of our top end talent that’s missing, can’t help but be frustrated

While Treloar is out definitely. Sier was ahead of Wills too going by recent selection. Sucks just as he was working into some form.

Different player to Treloar though, as not a run and carry player. To me Sier is more the Wills type, grunt player to get the ball out. His stats reflect that with the disproportion between kicks to handballs.
So with Pendles and Elliott back, who you think will spend some of his playing time in the midfield, enhance our clearance abilities, along with Sidey, and with Adams and Wills hopefully winning the ball in contested situations.

Different player to Treloar though, as not a run and carry player. To me Sier is more the Wills type, grunt player to get the ball out. His stats reflect that with the disproportion between kicks to handballs.
So with Pendles and Elliott back, who you think will spend some of his playing time in the midfield, enhance our clearance abilities, along with Sidey, and with Adams and Wills hopefully winning the ball in contested situations.

I think Pendles, Adams and Elliott will be our starting midfield. Sidebottom and Wills rotating on ball. We may see Crisp at a few centre bounces too if they need more rotations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back