Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For grins who suggest we make finals due to our home ground advantage.

If we every game we played at home in 2018 - a premiership season

And marry that with richmonds away from the mcg record in 2017 a premiership season- ie they beat the bottom 5 and port.

So we still get every home win we had that year - but our away games are at richmonds level - we win 11 games for the year and come 13th

This myth that we get a leg up because of home ground advantage would only work if we played 16 games there - we dont
Unfortunately for your victim narrative, the stats show that non-Vic clubs are more likely to make finals.
Again, sorry for quoting basic facts. They tend to be cryptonite for delusional Murdoch press driven conspiracy theories.

But I’d be interested in your opinion:
Given that it’s an unbearable injustice that Richmond play its home finals in its home state, where do you think they should be played?

Mostly it’s a ‘ it is what it is ‘ situation with this whole VICbias thing but one thing that would be good and shouldn’t cause too much angst is travel money for players , everyone gets a dollar a km or whatever is fair when they go interstate

Everything is equalised except some players spend half their weekends away from home and others don’t

So if a Richmond player flies 10,000 km a year he gets 10k at the end of the year and if a WC player flies 70,000 km a year he gets 70k

Shouldn’t really upset anyone and might make it a bit fairer for players on some teams that do heaps of flying

Only thing interstate club fans can complain about at all is the grand final at the G, there is no other bias.

Richmond (or any Vic side) playing finals at the G isn't a greater advantage if they are playing other Vic sides. Be like saying its unfair if Eagles finish 8th and play Freo who finish 5th, anyway what the hell can you do about that? Force Vic sides to play other Vic sides at suburban grounds so its an "away" game?
No there are definitely other bits that are "unfair", like there is plenty in the fixture alone. Like interstate clubs tend to have more trips to alternate stadiums (ie Hobart, Launceston, Ballarat) but again that is more of a big club issue than purely an interstate vs Vic thing.

Same with the timeslot fixturing. Much easier to get prime time games as a (big) Vic club than anything else. Of course this is meant to be countered by the $ distributions each year (which always send nuffies into complaints about why some teams get more or less), but does that make up for differences in things like long term sponsorship opportunities for example.

Altogether the AFL is not a fair or equal competition and probably never will do. The AFL does make some attempts to equalise things but in other ways laughably fail at that (honestly they are incredibly average at some simple concepts). But interstate and small clubs have to fight tooth and nail to try and balance things out

Out of the Vic sides, NM would be gone, St Kilda/WB would exist but it would be a struggle.

North have actually received less AFL funding than both of those other clubs over the last 10 years

Mostly it’s a ‘ it is what it is ‘ situation with this whole VICbias thing but one thing that would be good and shouldn’t cause too much angst is travel money for players , everyone gets a dollar a km or whatever is fair when they go interstate

Everything is equalised except some players spend half their weekends away from home and others don’t

So if a Richmond player flies 10,000 km a year he gets 10k at the end of the year and if a WC player flies 70,000 km a year he gets 70k

Shouldn’t really upset anyone and might make it a bit fairer for players on some teams that do heaps of flying
You haven't flown interstate much for work have you.

I used to fly interstate 3 out of every 4 weeks and it can be quite wearing travelling in the tin cans, waiting around airports for flights, being holed up in hotels and not being at home.

There is a distinct advantage to only flying 3 or 4 times a year.

Last edited:
The reason we get home finals and the only reason we get home finals is because we beat lots of teams away from home.

To get home finals you have to finish high on the table…..

Richmond can finish 8th and play all finals at home including the gf ….. if we finish 8th we play every single final away.

Really poor example grin…
You're right, a Collingwood v Richmond final should be played in Sydney 🤦🤣

I used to fly interstate 3 out of every 4 weeks and it can be quite wearing travelling in the tin cans, waiting around airports for flights, being holed up in hotels and not being at home.

Amen, flying interstate for work sucks. It's fun the first couple of times, then it's just a really long commute to work.

Lol , I used to fly interstate and overseas heaps , platinum Quanta’s club level

There’s nothing to be done about any of it besides a bit of a cream for the players who have to do it the most

Same as me I’m sure you only did it for financial reasons so why shouldn’t the players get a bit extra for it ?

Anyway don’t bother replying, clowns who read the 1st line of a post and fire off a response are the worst and I just block you types

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon playing 16-17 games at your home ground is a decent advantage.
Home ground advantage is real. It is unsurprising that teams who have kept a home ground advantage (non Melbourne teams) dominate the H&A ladder.

Collingwood and StKilda have 14 games at their home ground, which is the max. (But 9 of Collingwood's G games are against teams who also play "home" games at the G...so more neutral than anything.

Then you have Dees, Rich, Adelaide and Port with 13

Dogs, Eagles, Freo with 12

Sydney and Brisbane have 11

North have 10

Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton and Suns have 9

Essendon and GWS have only 8

Home ground advantage is real. It is unsurprising that teams who have kept a home ground advantage (non Melbourne teams) dominate the H&A ladder.

Collingwood and StKilda have 14 games at their home ground, which is the max. (But 9 of Collingwood's G games are against teams who also play "home" games at the G...so more neutral than anything.

Then you have Dees, Rich, Adelaide and Port with 13

Dogs, Eagles, Freo with 12

Sydney and Brisbane have 11

North have 10

Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton and Suns have 9

Essendon and GWS have only 8

And potentially 3 more games at home in the finals.

You're right, a Collingwood v Richmond final should be played in Sydney 🤦🤣
They are both mcg tenants, logically the mcg is the place for them.

What about richmond vs : geelong, st kilda, north, dogs.

Richmond can finish 8th and all of these teams finish above them yet richmond gets kissed on the dick and plays at the g

2017 richmond plays geelong in geelong or adelaide in adelaide and they dont win a flag

The MCG is the logical place for ALL Vic finals, as finals are about letting fans come cheer on their team.

The AFL ground rationalisation in Melbourne was all about removing advantage to create BLOCKBUSTERS.

Finals at the G are BLOCKBUSTERS.
Richmond can finish 8th and all of these teams finish above them yet richmond gets kissed on the dick and plays at the g
Or like 2018, Richmond finish 1st and play a QF against Hawthorn and PF against Coll...absolutely no advantage.

The bigger advantage is being able to play game on the ground you also train on. None of the Vic teams train on the ground they call their home ground.
But what clubs use their home ground as their training ground?

I know for a fact none of Brisbane, GWS, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle or West Coast do.

And I am 80% sure Sydney don't either.

So that leaves Gold Coast????

The MCG is the logical place for ALL Vic finals, as finals are about letting fans come cheer on their team.
Are you sure about that?

For the actual fan, supporter and members of the CLUBS. You'd probably get a larger allocation (and better seats) for the members at Marvel Stadium.

Sure, the entitled snobs in the MCC/AFL members reserve will miss out.

But we're trying to create availability for the fans of the competing clubs right?

Are you sure about that?

For the actual fan, supporter and members of the CLUBS. You'd probably get a larger allocation (and better seats) for the members at Marvel Stadium.

Sure, the entitled snobs in the MCC/AFL members reserve will miss out.

But we're trying to create availability for the fans of the competing clubs right?
??

You do realise that AFL members have a reserve at Etihad too?

AFL members entitle snobs, lol...they often go the AFL member option to save money!!

It is pretty simple, recently have been getting 90k crowds to finals at the G against two Vic clubs...that is what the AFL wants.

But what clubs use their home ground as their training ground?

I know for a fact none of Brisbane, GWS, Adelaide, Port Adelaide, Fremantle or West Coast do.

And I am 80% sure Sydney don't either.

So that leaves Gold Coast????

Well damn. I guess that explains Geelong's overall dominance.....cheaters.

Change VICBias to GEELONGBias.

What about richmond vs : geelong, st kilda, north, dogs.

2017 richmond plays geelong in geelong or adelaide in adelaide and they dont win a flag
Ahh, so it's not travel, it's home ground.
I seem to remember you being cynical when Richmond complained about playing home games at Marvel Stadium.
It's great that you finally acknowledge how disadvantaged Victorian clubs are, none of whom play all their home games at their home grounds.
Just imagine if your club had real disadvantage like that, rather than the pretend ones you've made a full time career of whinging about. Your head would explode.

I think you need to change your career to arguing and infernally winging about the massive, unbearably unjust disadvantages poor Geelong has compared to MCG tenants and all of the non-Vic clubs.

I trust you weren't just changing the goal posts after you've been proven so humiliatingly wrong with all your previous whinges about Vic-bias.

The fact is, non-Vic clubs are significantly advantaged in the Home and Away season, have no disadvantage in the finals and, as far as we can tell, a less than 1 goals disadvantage when playing MCG tenants in a Grand Final. Whilst I get that you feel entitled to so much more, you claiming unbearable injustice is simply conspiratorial rubbish.

Be happy with the advantages your franchise already gets over the Vic Clubs, instead of always demanding ever more. I don't know why so many of you non-Vics feel so inferior that you need all these advantages anyway.

There is A time zone reality that effects scheduling for the WA teams where it’s not feasible for them to play in prime time on Thursday and Friday nights, and they usually get shunted to the Sunday arvo fixture.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back