Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MITCHITO OWENS!

Remove this Banner Ad

If he went to School in Australia, i'd bet he gets called and doesn't mind Mitch. I think its kind of cool that they gave him a name that recognizes his heritage, but can be anglicized well.

In that playing video earlier in the thread all of his team mates were yelling out "Mitch" whenever he won the ball.

Tip: for anyone unfamiliar with Japanese names, it's Mitchi Toe, not Mi Cheeto. I'm a bit rusty after nearly 20 yrs away from Tokyo, but iirc -To is quite a common suffix for male first names, (the female version being -Ko) and in a lot of cases in general everyday usage it gets dropped. The final i in Mitchi will probably be a very short almost unspoken i, not the long drawn out eee sound we roll with in names like Bobby, so it would sound more or less like Mitch. Maybe our resident Japanese gaijin Luca could confim?

Haha so I speak Japanese (kinda badly these days, 18 years past Osaka) and had only seen the guy's name on paper; I thought 'Michito' was a name from Central / South America until I saw the photo of him with his family and the penny dropped.

It seems like the hope with him is that he has had a Bont-like rise that has gone under the radar because of Covid.
Yeah Bont was very quiet for almost the whole carnival in his draft year (had a very good last quarter of the last game- prior to that he did very little) and it was only after that that he really exploded in the TAC Cup, while Clayton Oliver was also miles down the draft boards until he likewise exploded in the 2nd half of the year.

Not saying Mitch would have been at their level, but we could turn out to be very very lucky that lockdown returned when it did.

He doesn’t have Bont’s piercing kick unfortunately. Looks outstanding overhead tho.

Yeah Bont was very quiet for almost the whole carnival in his draft year (had a very good last quarter of the last game- prior to that he did very little) and it was only after that that he really exploded in the TAC Cup, while Clayton Oliver was also miles down the draft boards until he likewise exploded in the 2nd half of the year.

Not saying Mitch would have been at their level, but we could turn out to be very very lucky that lockdown returned when it did.

He doesn’t have Bont’s piercing kick unfortunately. Looks outstanding overhead tho.

He might be that big wingman Ratts wants Battle to be.

What Mitch could’ve had was a serious top age year of improvement similar to Bont , Oliver Jackson guys who e come from a really low base to bolt in their top age year can often become really high level players. Obviously Owens never got to have that plopportunity however I do think he would’ve ended up dominating the rest of the NAB season.

Obviously a really good height/size too if Steely was impressed enough to comment on that l when presenting Mitchito with a Saints guernsey.

If you factor in some more growth in the next two years we could have a real beast on our hands.

What Mitch could’ve had was a serious top age year of improvement similar to Bont , Oliver Jackson guys who e come from a really low base to bolt in their top age year can often become really high level players. Obviously Owens never got to have that plopportunity however I do think he would’ve ended up dominating the rest of the NAB season.

In fairness, has anyone ever had a plopportunity!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gags did mention in that podcast yesterday he thinks Owens is good enough to play in the seniors at some stage next year.
Can anyone put up a link to that podcast. I can’t seem to find it

Fyfe started off so skinny. Lock Mitch in the gym
Already modelling his game on the star Docker 👍🏻

kaJlODK.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back