Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - MITCHITO OWENS!

Remove this Banner Ad

QbIPxaJ.gif

Gags did mention in that podcast yesterday he thinks Owens is good enough to play in the seniors at some stage next year.

Said “he’s certainly capable of playing senior footy in 2022, up to his form and whether he can earn a spot.”

“Not worried at all about the physical side of his game”

“Has shown he can play wing and half forward which is a good place to play for a new draftee but he could play a bit of midfield if form warrants it”

Sounds like the club has good wraps on him

Tip: for anyone unfamiliar with Japanese names, it's Mitchi Toe, not Mi Cheeto. I'm a bit rusty after nearly 20 yrs away from Tokyo, but iirc -To is quite a common suffix for male first names, (the female version being -Ko) and in a lot of cases in general everyday usage it gets dropped. The final i in Mitchi will probably be a very short almost unspoken i, not the long drawn out eee sound we roll with in names like Bobby, so it would sound more or less like Mitch. Maybe our resident Japanese gaijin Luca could confim?
Hahah, sorry I missed this! Spot on.
"to" can be on the end of girls names too, like Misato. The "to" could be dropped.
Mum or friends could call him Michisan, Mik-kun, Micchan, maybe a few other variations.

Bit like Jimmy, Jimbob, Jimbo etc etc.
A bit like in Aus, sometimes you get a girl with a boy-sounding name, and vice-versa.

You remember pretty well though. I imagine the French went in one ear, and the Japanese out the other. That's what happened to me at least, very quickly became unable to speak German when I took up Japanese.

"to" can be on the end of girls names too, like Misato. The "to" could be dropped.
Mum or friends could call him Michisan, Mik-kun, Micchan, maybe a few other variations.

A bit like in Aus, sometimes you get a girl with a boy-sounding name, and vice-versa.

You remember pretty well though. I imagine the French went in one ear, and the Japanese out the other. That's what happened to me at least, very quickly became unable to speak German when I took up Japanese.
True enough! I can't stand French, it's so rigid, boring and miserable sounding. I much preferred Japanese - sounds cool, and looks great. I loved trying to read ads on the commute to work, cracking the code kanji by kanji, radical by radical! My only complaint was how ridiculous it was trying to read it in very small type; you can definitely attribute the general poor eyesight of the nation to having to read that s**t. Much better as a display text!

Actually, I moved from Tokyo to Madrid, so Spanish - another of my favourite languages - went in the ear as Japanese went out. Sadly after so many years I am back to useless in both languages. C'est la vie!

True enough! I can't stand French, it's so rigid, boring and miserable sounding. I much preferred Japanese - sounds cool, and looks great. I loved trying to read ads on the commute to work, cracking the code kanji by kanji, radical by radical! My only complaint was how ridiculous it was trying to read it in very small type; you can definitely attribute the general poor eyesight of the nation to having to read that sh*t. Much better as a display text!

Actually, I moved from Tokyo to Madrid, so Spanish - another of my favourite languages - went in the ear as Japanese went out. Sadly after so many years I am back to useless in both languages. C'est la vie!
Yeah, Spanish rocks (I prefer the sound of Spanish Spanish to the Latino Spanish). I think French is nice for girls, but Spanish sounds great with both.
I've studied all those languages at times, but only really became conversational at German before coming here.

Is it just me, or does Canadian French sound a bit less miserable? I was travelling with a couple of Parisians and a couple of French Canadians once, and thought the Canadians sounded a bit camp in comparison.

No language is perfect though, is it? Japanese shits me at times, the way they shorten and skip things. They usually skip the subject FFS! Of all the things to skip. So many times you see people checking "Me? You?". Kind of important thing to leave out. They expect you to automatically decipher who Brappi and Shuwachan are on the spot, and often don't even know what their actual names are.

All good though, and not much you can do about it anyway :D

Yeah, Spanish rocks (I prefer the sound of Spanish Spanish to the Latino Spanish). I think French is nice for girls, but Spanish sounds great with both.
I've studied all those languages at times, but only really became conversational at German before coming here.

Is it just me, or does Canadian French sound a bit less miserable? I was travelling with a couple of Parisians and a couple of French Canadians once, and thought the Canadians sounded a bit camp in comparison.

No language is perfect though, is it? Japanese shits me at times, the way they shorten and skip things. They usually skip the subject FFS! Of all the things to skip. So many times you see people checking "Me? You?". Kind of important thing to leave out. They expect you to automatically decipher who Brappi and Shuwachan are on the spot, and often don't even know what their actual names are.

All good though, and not much you can do about it anyway :D

True enough! I can't stand French, it's so rigid, boring and miserable sounding. I much preferred Japanese - sounds cool, and looks great. I loved trying to read ads on the commute to work, cracking the code kanji by kanji, radical by radical! My only complaint was how ridiculous it was trying to read it in very small type; you can definitely attribute the general poor eyesight of the nation to having to read that sh*t. Much better as a display text!

Dunno, from my years France, I never found the language rigid or boring. I found Richo's coaching more boring.

On the Clubs social media story today, Mitch was doing a Q+A, and said that his idol growing up was Nat Fyfe due to similar “height and position”… and I mean if he continues to bulk up then whose to say he can’t be that kind of player!

On the Clubs social media story today, Mitch was doing a Q+A, and said that his idol growing up was Nat Fyfe due to similar “height and position”… and I mean if he continues to bulk up then whose to say he can’t be that kind of player!

Mitch will be our Fyfe and Windhager will be our Dusty. Bring on the threepeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are so lucky or gifted to have forgotten languages.
I am lucky to remember one!

So in one draft we picked up our own versions of:

Lachie Whitfield (NWM)
Nat Fyfe (Owens)
Travis Boak (Windhager)
Phil Davis (Adams)
Lewis Jetta (Peris)
Charlie Cameron (Kyle)

Mitch will be our Fyfe and Windhager will be our Dusty. Bring on the threepeat.
If we have Steele, (Fyfe) and (Dusty) we'd be unstoppable in the midfield
So in one draft we picked up our own versions of:

Lachie Whitfield (NWM)
Nat Fyfe (Owens)
Travis Boak (Windhager)
Phil Davis (Adams)
Lewis Jetta (Peris)
Charlie Cameron (Kyle)
no Cyril type?

If we have Steele, (Fyfe) and (Dusty) we'd be unstoppable in the midfield

no Cyril type?

We already got that in Benny Long.

That's what Trout & Pelican would have us believe anyway...

Hopefully our Luke Hodge (Coffield) & Nick Dal Santo (Clark) can combine with our Nick Riewoldt (King) & Jack Riewoldt (Sharman) to carry us forward.

If we manage to trade for Matty Pavlich (Ben King) and develop our Michael Voss (Bytel) then we should be in a good spot.

I'm bummed we let our Joel Selwood (Dunstan), Tex Walker (McCartin) & Shaun Grigg (Acres) leave the club though.

Minga’s halfway mark analysis:

Mitchito Owens
Drafted pick 33 (NGA) in the 2021 draft

So, at the half-way mark of the H&A season I would say Mitch Owens is living up to the hype.

I think most can see now, where comparisons to Fyfe are coming from. Can play contested in the middle, can take a strong mark up forward. Tall, athletic, big frame to grow into. I’ve seen him fly for marks, I’ve seen him rip balls out of a pack, I’ve seen him crumb and goal from the boundary line. An exceptional prospect, with an infectious attitude.

In VFL and AFL games combined (that he’s played in) so far this year, he has kicked 10 goals from limited forward time.

In the VFL some of his stats have been:

20 disposals, 9 tackles.
2 goals, 20 disposals, 7 tackles.
23 disposals.
26 disposals (2 behinds).
2 goals, 2 behinds, 14 disposals.
32 disposals.
2 goals, 1 behind, 24 disposals.

And of course in his last AFL game:

2 goals, 3 shots on goal, 14 disposals, 10 tackles, 75% time on ground.

It must be said that his AFL debut in round 1 was okay, he had little time on ground and didn’t see much of the ball but he showed some clearance and pressure signs. He needed time in the VFL, and that’s what he got. Credit to him, his growth in the VFL has been obvious.

He’s capable of big, high-possession games, and I can see the next step in his development being finding the un-contested ball and working on his in-game kicking. Don’t be surprised if you start seeing either 4+ goal games or 30+ disposal games from him depending on whether the coaches want midfield or forward. At his best, he could be achieving high numbers in both simultaneously.

With the equally impressive performances from Windhager and Wanganeen-Milera, it is easy to get lost in the hype. When good things are happening constantly, it’s easy to take them for granted. In this case, I think we would all be very happy if Owens had been our only pick, such is the return on his potential. Luckily for us, his development will only be improved, playing and growing alongside the likes of Windhager, Wanganeen-Milera and Heath.

Up until this point in the season, Mitch Owens has passed every mark. Very excited to see him continue to grow in the second half of the season.

Owen’s’ first afl level game in about a month and a half. Second game any level game in a month. What a star in the making. His aerial work is as described. Throws himself at the contest with reckless abandon, takes contested marks, and oh my god his hands are some of the best in the team. Does that Nat Fyfe diving handball while getting tackled. Also the way he wrenches the ball out of a pile on and extracts it is brutish.

He's going to be a gun because he's so freakin strong, good in the air and on the ground, and can kick a goal.

Sicily had his hands full yesterday with Owens - wasn't able to beat him in the air and Owens matched him for strength in the 1-1s
Its going to make a truly multi dimensional player. Just wait until he starts in the midfield and then goes forward. He will be a nightmare matchup.

I liken Owens to Patrick Cripps and i hope he's a better version!

I liken Owens to Patrick Cripps and i hope he's a better version!
Both these kids Owens and Windhager are making there presence felt now as 18 and 19yr olds and are not even close to being they will be in a couple years.
They are both players who use there pressure and skills and can easily develop into the Fyfe , Dangerfield types.

Sam Walsh came on the scene basically with the running ability and professionalism the will not see as much improvement as these 2 boys.

I think this thread needs a bump. Lot of posts about Phillipou but this kid is great.

I've rewatched the Doggie game again and with a bit of luck Mitch could have quite easily ended up with 5 goals. Missed an easy set shot early on and another left foot snap which he usually nails

Even so, 17 possessions and 3 goals is an impressive effort from an 8 game player who is being asked to play as an undersized "tall" forward and help out in ruck contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back