Which obscure player would you trade for Pick 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trading for pick 1 is always an interesting topic.

We all know everyone would trade it for Kelly, Dusty, Cripps etc; all the usual suspects. However which player, who may be a little obscure, would you trade for pick 1? It might be Coniglio, it might be J McGovern, perhaps Clayton Oliver?

I would trade it for Coniglio. I reckon he’s a superstar.

I would trade Harley Balic for Pick 1. He retired a couple of months ago but I think he'd be up for it. I'd even throw in Bernie Vince.

But to answer the question you're really asking well certain All Australian quality players in their absolute prime like Oliver, Coniglio and JMcGovern are easy decisions. Look at the history of number 1 picks over the last decade then look at them. Not a hard call.

In terms of really young guys on the rise who are a bit obscure.

I'd consider:
Key Backs - Aaron Naughton
Key Forwards - Eric Hipwood, maybe Harry Himmelberg
Mids: Jarrod Berry, Adam Cerra

Obviously recent former high picks who have settled in like Rayner, Heeney etc are an easy yes call.

For older guys it's worth it for consistent All Australian or close to players. Dylan Shiel is right on the border of players who I'd look at. Coniglio, Kelly, Greene are an easy yes. I'm not sure Shiel's shoulders after last year so I might say no but anyway 25 or under and consistently in Robbo's top 50 kind of range is worth a deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably not so obscure any more but I'd trade pick one for Tom McDonald in heartbeat.
yep
some of the strongest hands in the AFL and an excellent kick.
Add to that, can play almost anywhere.

Tim Taranto for me (if he counts as obscure). He and McGrath were my equal faves that draft year. Having both would be awesome.

How about some actual obscure choices:

- Callum Ah Chee
- Harry Himmelberg
- Zac Fisher
- Ed Richards
- Martin Gleeson

Players that in my opinion are underrated and/or have a lot more upside to come (Pending a perfect world) that could warrant the pick.
But you’d give up pick 1 for any of those players?

Harry Himmelberg
Mitch Mcgovern
Callan Ward - probably not so obscure
Harry Mckay

Toby McLean, pretty close to elite at such a young age. Doesn’t get the credit of a Bomtempelli but more consistent and damaging.

Aiden Bonar. Loved what he showed this year. Taken at 13 last year and surprised with how early he started to impact games. The next Charlie Curnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back