Recommitted Liam Shiels

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably shouldn't pay him $800k, then. Let him go into the draft, pick him up with a second round pick and take a punt on a $300k two year deal.

No-one at Hawthorn is on $800k. A guy who hasnt played in years is not going to be the one to get there first.

Pea hearted. Touche. Argument over.
Motlop kicked 2.3 last week and we won by 2 points. That was his role last week, we'll see what next week's role is Pea (and poo)man.

If Smith kicked straight the loss would have been on Motlop, because he was selfishly pinging away from the boundary rather than trying to kill the ball.

Shiels is of huge importance to Hawthorn. I really wonder what people see when watching a game of football? Do you base your opinion on stats or do you actually watch individuals within the game.

Maybe some people are only capable of ingesting the basic and obvious things within a game because it's staggering how opinions can vary so much.

I'd be blown away if we traded Shiels.

May not be Shiels, but you may need to lose someone you would rather keep to get this done. I am not sure players you don't mind losing are going to get it done.

Hawthorn supporters saying he is underrated yet he is the player GC asked for and Bigfooty generally agree it is smart by them.

Clearly he is rated by most...

Hi mod who deleted my post for trolling, yet allows this kind of thing to stand.

IMO I think Motlop is a pea hearted front runner but then again I have no idea what role he plays for Geelong, the same way you have no idea about Liam.

Great to see you doing your job.

Please point out where I trolled, I've merely stated that it is possible to find 95% of the player that Shiels is in the VFL, yet that is trolling?

Shiels is probably on par with George Horlin-Smith as far as ability goes. Tackling stats don't mean a whole lot - players like him are a dime a dozen.

If GC want Shiels and Hawthorns first rounder that would be a great outcome for Hawthorn.
Geelong doesn't have a player that can do what Shiels does. Read article above.

Lol no chance.

Will be 1st pick and what we get for Hill.

Do you have any evidence for this?

With such certainty, I presume that you must be part of Hawthorn's inner sanctum?

Just years of watching trades go down.

It's the same ever year. big demands, threats and then settle for unders.

And yet every time, somehow people think this particular trade will be an exception.

Anyway wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will tell you what will happen.

The Hawks will pay slightly over what they want to and the GCS will take a fair bit under what they want.

Do you really think the GCS actually expect to get two top 10 picks for a bloke that has not played for 2 years?

The Gold Coast contract to JOM was reported at $4M for 5 years.

Unders from Hawthorn would be700K.
According to reports, that's 200K more than the highest paid player at Hawthorn!:rolleyes:

The Gold Coast contract to JOM was reported at $4M for 5 years.

Unders from Hawthorn would be700K.
According to reports, that's 200K more than the highest paid player at Hawthorn!:rolleyes:

1.8 over 3 is the Hawks deal.

GCs was 1.5 over 2.

No-one at Hawthorn is on $800k. A guy who hasnt played in years is not going to be the one to get there first.

If Smith kicked straight the loss would have been on Motlop, because he was selfishly pinging away from the boundary rather than trying to kill the ball.

You have no idea then!

On the second part?
If!

So he IS getting more than all the 3 time & 4 time p'ship players that are much loved & respected at your club.
That will go down well!

Like all the Sydney players who cracked it over Tippett and Franklin's contracts? Some players are happy to take unders if it helps to deliver more success, and turn them into 4 time or 5 time premiership players.

Ok!
If you can some how manage to get over your arrogance, as is shown here in both your posts, you will question as to why the 4 older blokes have signed on for another year. No doubt they all have some good footy left in them, but not phasing them out one by one comes at a cost. You have a severe void in talent after these guys are gone. You may very well bring in some stars (of which Tom is not yet a star) but some one has got to go. This is not just at Hawthorn but at any club.
Now I can't go into too much detail on here but Shane Mumford had some discipline issues at the Swans that the club & team mates would no longer tolerate. Hence why we were prepared to lose him.
Mitchell is simply a case in point of needing to give up something to gain something, which is obviously something that is lost on you guys.

Buddy makes the club money! Buddy gets the big bucks.
Tommy is replaceable! We have a number similar players with more attacking upside in the seconds coming through at a fraction of the cost of what you will pay Tom to get him. Now this is where your own culture can come undone. (Based on the theory you used on us re- Buddy). At your club going forward, Tom seems to be worth 500-600K at least, while Cyril is only worth 400-500K (or so we are told).

I went to the Geelong v Hawk game last week. Clarko didn't trust Sicily or Hartung enough in a final, to give them a game.

Here lies your problem. He keeps going with the tried & proven. That is flirting with danger & you know it if you know anything about player development.
Oh wait! That hasn't happened at the Hawks for 6 years now! You just bring them in from other clubs now. Once Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge, Gibson are gone,
Your on field leadership will be thin.
But again, you already know that.
Hope I haven't re ruffled your feathers!

You honestly have to give up on your unhealthy obsession with everything Hawthorn.

Every single thread related to Hawthorn, you are posting some long winded crap about big bad Hawthorn.

I think it will be best for your health, just to not let it bother you.

Shiels is probably on par with George Horlin-Smith as far as ability goes. Tackling stats don't mean a whole lot - players like him are a dime a dozen.

If GC want Shiels and Hawthorns first rounder that would be a great outcome for Hawthorn.

I know you're being smart arse.

But I have always though Shiels and Duncan to be very similar players. They have almost identical stats over their careers, and have had a similar trajectory. Although this has definitely been Shiels worst year in some time.

Shiels is a better defensive player, Duncan has better disposal.

For what it's worth, if we had no choice. I would do O'Meara for Shiels.

Ducks for cover :eek:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back