Round 1 side....

Bews Lonergan Taylor
Thurlow Henderson Tuohy
Duncan Jellwood Cowan
McCarthy Motlop Cockatoo Gregson
Menzel Hawkins
Smith Scooter Dangerfield

IC Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs Lang

Hopefully Stanley, Kolo, Ruggles, Stewart and Parfitt putting plenty of pressure on the 22 selected with at least two forcing their way into the side on form by Round 23..

Round 1 side....

Bews Lonergan Taylor
Thurlow Henderson Tuohy
Duncan Jellwood Cowan
McCarthy Motlop Cockatoo Gregson
Menzel Hawkins
Smith Scooter Dangerfield

IC Menegola, Guthrie, Blicavs Lang

Hopefully Stanley, Kolo, Ruggles, Stewart and Parfitt putting plenty of pressure on the 22 selected with at least two forcing their way into the side on form by Round 23..
Motlop as our CHF?

Two things:

- Why does nobody want Tom Stewart in our team for Round 1 will fit perfectly
- And for number 2 should we play Blicavs, Stanley and Smith in the same team or do we opt for two out of those three players

I'd wait to see what he shows during pre-season relative to others in the backline before putting him in the best 22. I wouldn't typically assume a fresh draftee to be an automatic inclusion in the 22. He needs to prove he belongs there ahead of others who have performed at AFL level first.

Motlop as our CHF?

Just offering a different approach than the traditional setup. It would set a challenge to a traditional backline set up.

It also allows Hawkins and Menzel freedom to move around as targets...particularly Hawkins.

Its also predicated on my belief that Menzel is a star!!! His hands are as good as anyones IMO.

(I know it won't be done at this level Cronin but its fun all the same. When I coached U15's I rarely went in with a traditional set up..It was fun watching opposition defenders looking around at the centre bounce wondering why they didn't have an opponent. :) It often took 10 minutes for them to work it out. Of course, that wouldn't be the case at the elite level.)

I'm all for out side the box thinking though. :D:D

Just offering a different approach than the traditional setup. It would set a challenge to a traditional backline set up.

It also allows Hawkins and Menzel freedom to move around as targets...particularly Hawkins.

Its also predicated on my belief that Menzel is a star!!! His hands are as good as anyones IMO.

(I know it won't be done at this level Cronin but its fun all the same. When I coached U15's I rarely went in with a traditional set up..It was fun watching opposition defenders looking around at the centre bounce wondering why they didn't have an opponent. :) It often took 10 minutes for them to work it out. Of course, that wouldn't be the case at the elite level.)

I'm all for out side the box thinking though. :D:D
Considering our forward setup has been poor and extremely predictable for a while now, I think it's the one area on the ground where we can be a bit adventurous with our structures.

For mine...

Stewart Lonergan Bews
Thurlow Henderson Tuohy
Cowan Joel Duncan
McArthy Stanley Taylor
Motlop Hawkin Menzel
Smith Dangers Scooter
Mackie Blitz Gregson/Cockatoo Menegola/Horlin-Smith

Taylor could be huge up forward and Mackie could slot in at either end. Stewart is capable to play the third tall.

B: Bews Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Henderson Thuoy
C: Duncan JoelSelwood ScottSelwood
HF: Menengola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Motlop
R: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Blicavs Stewart McCarthy Cowan

Would you play Stanley or Cowan
Stanley would play forward with Hawkins and Taylor
GHS could also get in over Cowan

Last edited:
B: Bews Lonergan Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow Henderson Thuoy
C: Duncan JoelSelwood ScottSelwood
HF: Menengola Taylor Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith Dangerfield Guthrie
I: Blicavs Stewart McCarthy Cowan

Would you play Stanley or Cowan
Stanley would play forward with Hawkins and Taylor

We only have one Menzel....................the good one!

Two things:

- And for number 2 should we play Blicavs, Stanley and Smith in the same team or do we opt for two out of those three players

-I think people would like to see how Stewart handles the new level. He would need a very good NAB cup effort to displace say a Mackie or keep Thurlow out. He has plenty of time.

-I would expect all three to play unless one of House or Black have an absolute blinder of a preseason. Blitz second ruck. Stanley CHF. Extra mid. [No Taylor or Hendo forward for mine]. If say House demands selection Stanley misses out.

Doubt old Scotty's thinking the same once more but here goes my best 22. Mostly influenced by the fact that Bartel and Enright are gone, addtionally I don't think Mackie is best 22. On Lonergan, he's better then Kolo but I think it would be logical to play Kolo over him just to gain the experince we desperately need when Lonners hangs up the boots come seasons end.

FB: Bews, Taylor, Kolodjashnij
HB: Touhy, Henderson, Thurlow
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Cockatoo
HF: Motlop, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
F: Smith, Selwood, Selwood
I/C: Blicavs, Guthrie, Lang, Menegola

EMG: Cowan, Stewart, Ruggles, Mackie.

As of now I'm still not convinced on Menegola, I think we actually have to many ball winners on paper and probably needed to downsize on last year. Would prefer Cowan but I doubt MS is thinking the same.

FB Kolo - Lonergan - Ruggles
HB Thurlow - Henderson - Tuohy
C Duncan - J.Selwood - Guthrie
HF Motlop - Taylor- Cockatoo
FF McCarthy - Hawkins - Menzel
Fol Smith - Dangerfield - S.Selwood
Int Stanley - Menegola - Lang - Gregson

Emerg: Blicavs, Cowan, Mackie

• Blicavs is best 22 on talent, but we cannot simply have him in the 22 with Smith and Stanley. A tall must be dropped for Blicavs to come in. Another option is to drop Lonergan, move Taylor back and use Menzel as a FF, then we can fit Blicavs in.
  • Stanley second ruck, but goes to FF when resting, Hawkins moved to CHF when Stanley in the forward line
  • Danger to spend 1/4 of the game at FF, Hawkins consequently moves to CHF
  • Lang plays mostly in the middle
  • Guthrie to spend periods in the backline to help with run
  • Duncan to play a central role and to be given the ball as much as possible. He needs to feel like the main man with Dangerwood. When he is used as surplus, he plays without spark, flair and confidence.
  • Stewart is Kolo's replacement if Kolo is injured.
  • Gregson is NOT a frorward, he is an outside running linkman. Plays on a wing, only to rest forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt old Scotty's thinking the same once more but here goes my best 22. Mostly influenced by the fact that Bartel and Enright are gone, addtionally I don't think Mackie is best 22. On Lonergan, he's better then Kolo but I think it would be logical to play Kolo over him just to gain the experince we desperately need when Lonners hangs up the boots come seasons end.

FB: Bews, Taylor, Kolodjashnij
HB: Touhy, Henderson, Thurlow
C: Duncan, Dangerfield, Cockatoo
HF: Motlop, Stanley, Menzel
FF: McCarthy, Hawkins, Gregson
F: Smith, Selwood, Selwood
I/C: Blicavs, Guthrie, Lang, Menegola

EMG: Cowan, Stewart, Ruggles, Mackie.

As of now I'm still not convinced on Menegola, I think we actually have to many ball winners on paper and probably needed to downsize on last year. Would prefer Cowan but I doubt MS is thinking the same.

I suspect both Menegola AND Cowan will play but its a hard task to pick the best 22 right now..which isn't a bad thing. Injuries and form will allow for rotations....

I like this structure for us(similar to what GWS implement);

Defence:
3 talls
2 running half backs
1 lock-down small defender

Forward:
2 KPF
1 small/medium
3 smalls

Rucks:
1 ruck
1 ruck/forward

*The rest of the team are midfielders.

I'd build a team around that structure and if players miss out then so be it but atleast we'd have some depth.

I like this structure for us(similar to what GWS implement);

Defence:
3 talls
2 running half backs
1 lock-down small defender

Forward:
2 KPF
1 small/medium
3 smalls

Rucks:
1 ruck
1 ruck/forward

*The rest of the team are midfielders.

I'd build a team around that structure and if players miss out then so be it but atleast we'd have some depth.

Change the 3 KPD's to 2 KPD's and a tweener and that's my preferred setup.

• Blicavs is best 22 on talent, but we cannot simply have him in the 22 with Smith and Stanley. A tall must be dropped for Blicavs to come in. Another option is to drop Lonergan, move Taylor back and use Menzel as a FF, then we can fit Blicavs in.
  • Stanley second ruck, but goes to FF when resting, Hawkins moved to CHF when Stanley in the forward line
  • Duncan to play a central role and to be given the ball as much as possible. He needs to feel like the main man with Dangerwood. When he is used as surplus, he plays without spark, flair and confidence.
  • Gregson is NOT a frorward, he is an outside running linkman. Plays on a wing, only to rest forward.

Blicavs wont get dropped. I agree with a lot of your post though.

Change the 3 KPD's to 2 KPD's and a tweener and that's my preferred setup.
3 'talls' doesn't necessarily mean 3 Lonergan type players; I consider Kolodjashnij a tall because he can play on talls.

While I don't mind your setup, I certainly have queries.

Shall we start with Blitz.? Obviously the club saw a future for him as a mid, 3rd man up and/or tagger in 2016. Not a role he had played when he won the Carji, that would have been as a mobile 2nd ruck. There was a reason he polled so well but maybe, just maybe, he has become more versatile yet again.

Domsy & HT are both 1st class defenders, the option to use Harry fwd should be a bonus; not something you want or depend upon full time.

Your 2nd & 3rd bullets, I kinda like.

Darcy, I really like him and believe he can become an important cog. If he is playing mostly mid where do you see him..? I think maybe outside or a 1/2 fwd flank.

Will Guth be needed in the backline if both Tuohy and Turbo are playing..?

Duncan, well you & I have different views there. He is more like Sel for mine, selfless clubman rather than some1 who wants to be a headliner.

While I really like Stewart (his defensive aggression, marks and follow thru in the VFL were impressive) & am so rapt that he has become an AFL listed player, Kolo has already been there (finals) under pressure and although he may have been shown up @ times, it was a gr8 learning curve. I believe.

McCarthy is probably more your small fwd, he is all guts but I am as guilty as most of stereotyping. Gregson is an enigma, looking forward to see what he can do with an injury free preseason.

3 'talls' doesn't necessarily mean 3 Lonergan type players; I consider Kolodjashnij a tall because he can play on talls.

Yeah, he isn't. A med to small defender for mine.

Last edited:
Yeah, he isn't. A med to small defender for mine.
When he plays in the same backline as Lonergan, Taylor and Henderson ofcourse he's going to have to play on smaller guys.

BTW
Kolodjashnij - 193cm
Rance - 194cm

For me he's a long-term KPD.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Geelong. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Jackson Thurlow ~ Tom Lonergan ~ Lachie Henderson
HB: Zach Tuohy ~ Harry Taylor ~ Cameron Guthrie

CENTRE: Mitch Duncan ~ Joel Selwood ~ Mark Blicavs
FOLL: Zac Smith ~ Scott Selwood ~ Patrick Dangerfield

HF: Steven Motlop ~ Aaron Black ~ Nakia Cockatoo
FF: Rhys Stanley ~ Tom Hawkins ~ Daniel Menzel

INT: Lincoln McCarthy ~ Darcy Lang ~ Sam Menegola ~ Jed Bews/ Tom Ruggles

Starting with the back 6 and no doubt they'll miss Enright but the additions of Tuohy and Thurlow (new recruit virtually) add some of the class by foot and defensive nous that Enright had. Having Mackie as depth is handy because Thurlow won;t be back to his 2015 form straight away.

Guthrie can change between defence and midfield. Could play an important part of the second string midfield with Stanley, Menegola, possibly Cockatoo, Lang etc.

Taylor and Henderson are locks in the team but Lonergan is less of a sure thing as he used to be. Kolodjashnij can count himself unlucky to miss out on a spot in the 22 but if Lonergan is managed you have a sound defender replacing him in JK.

Bews probably slightly ahead of Ruggles in contention for the 7th defender. Just needs to find that real balance between defence and attack, if anything put focus a more on the defensive element to his game than attacking.

Midfield is a mix of outside and inside players with a good ruck in Smith. The running man Blicavs although 6'6 in the old scale can play as a extra midfielder because of his mobility and can be an effective 3rd man up at ruck contests around the ground, if it is still an option in 2017. Duncan is a quality outhside player who benefits strongly from the inside work of Dangerfield and the Selwood bothers. Lang interchanges into the second string midfielder with some outisde pace and carry.

The bigger bodies of Geelong are a mix of speed away from the stoppage, hard at it contested work in Joel Selwood and the defensive nous of Scott Selwood and Guthrie to run with opposition midfielders. They compliment Duncan and Blicavs well and form a solid stating centre square combination.

Motlop, Menzel and Cockatoo are the clever smaller forwards that get at the feet of the big men and create room for the bigger forwards with support on the bench from McCarthy and possibly Lang off HF. Players stating there case at VFL level would be Murdoch and Gregson, making them work hard for the in the AFL team.

Hawkins and Stanley are key parts of the forward line structure and obviously need to kick goals themselves or impact a contest to get the ball to ground. Black's the addition and in a way is a Kersten replacement. Since Podsiadly left to much of the tall forward workload has been left to Hawkins who is fantastic at what he does but needs help.

Thats where I've added Black into the 22. That CHF role could become Timm House if he has a good pre season and is ready to adapt straight into AFL but initially Black has the runs on the board from his time at North. They traded him in for a reason and it wouldn't be beneficial if fit to have him playing mostly VFL when the AFL side is searching for added height.

The CHF role could even go to incumbent players like Taylor, Blicavs or Henderson with a switch of player roles maybe even meaning Kolodjashnij or Mackie find themselves in contetion for a role the back 6. Ratugolea and Buzza are still raw and developing. As mentioned with a good pre season House has the attributes to be a mature age inclusion. Abbott I don;t know enough about to evaluate with him.

The recent draft was a bit of a mixed bag for the Cats. Stewart and House like Ruggles from 2015 are very mature bodies and can perform key position roles perform immediately if required which will be handy to have as the baton is passed from Lonergan down back especially.

Parfitt and Narkle are both big accumulators of the ball in the midfield but tend to handball more than they kick. Both strong bodies already and Narkle is a very strong inside and contested player. Think with Geelong's contested midfield strength they will get a good period of development in the VFL and time to work on there areas for improvement.

Ratugolea I've briefly touched on. A bit like Buzza from the 2015 draft in a way is a raw, tall player. Pelnty of upside there in him but like all young talls can go missing at times. Needs to work on his game sense in the VFL.

Henry is another player with large upside in him once he builds his body strength because his got the footy smarts and competes hard. In the long term Guthrie could play a similar role to older brother Cam although may find his place more a lock down smaller defender. Has good defensive traits to his game already and shown he can play on smaller or taller opponents but really needs to work on his body size and strength firstly.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Geelong. Appreciate any feedback

Starting with the back 6 and no doubt they'll miss Enright but the additions of Tuohy and Thurlow (new recruit virtually) add some of the class by foot and defensive nous that Enright had. Having Mackie as depth is handy because Thurlow won;t be back to his 2015 form straight away.

Guthrie can change between defence and midfield. Could play an important part of the second string midfield with Stanley, Menegola, possibly Cockatoo, Lang etc.

Taylor and Henderson are locks in the team but Lonergan is less of a sure thing as he used to be. Kolodjashnij can count himself unlucky to miss out on a spot in the 22 but if Lonergan is managed you have a sound defender replacing him in JK.

Bews probably slightly ahead of Ruggles in contention for the 7th defender. Just needs to find that real balance between defence and attack, if anything put focus a more on the defensive element to his game than attacking.

Midfield is a mix of outside and inside players with a good ruck in Smith. The running man Blicavs although 6'6 in the old scale can play as a extra midfielder because of his mobility and can be an effective 3rd man up at ruck contests around the ground, if it is still an option in 2017. Duncan is a quality outhside player who benefits strongly from the inside work of Dangerfield and the Selwood bothers. Lang interchanges into the second string midfielder with some outisde pace and carry.

The bigger bodies of Geelong are a mix of speed away from the stoppage, hard at it contested work in Joel Selwood and the defensive nous of Scott Selwood and Guthrie to run with opposition midfielders. They compliment Duncan and Blicavs well and form a solid stating centre square combination.

Motlop, Menzel and Cockatoo are the clever smaller forwards that get at the feet of the big men and create room for the bigger forwards with support on the bench from McCarthy and possibly Lang off HF. Players stating there case at VFL level would be Murdoch and Gregson, making them work hard for the in the AFL team.

Hawkins and Stanley are key parts of the forward line structure and obviously need to kick goals themselves or impact a contest to get the ball to ground. Black's the addition and in a way is a Kersten replacement. Since Podsiadly left to much of the tall forward workload has been left to Hawkins who is fantastic at what he does but needs help.

Thats where I've added Black into the 22. That CHF role could become Timm House if he has a good pre season and is ready to adapt straight into AFL but initially Black has the runs on the board from his time at North. They traded him in for a reason and it wouldn't be beneficial if fit to have him playing mostly VFL when the AFL side is searching for added height.

The CHF role could even go to incumbent players like Taylor, Blicavs or Henderson with a switch of player roles maybe even meaning Kolodjashnij or Mackie find themselves in contetion for a role the back 6. Ratugolea and Buzza are still raw and developing. As mentioned with a good pre season House has the attributes to be a mature age inclusion. Abbott I don;t know enough about to evaluate with him.

The recent draft was a bit of a mixed bag for the Cats. Stewart and House like Ruggles from 2015 are very mature bodies and can perform key position roles perform immediately if required which will be handy to have as the baton is passed from Lonergan down back especially.

Parfitt and Narkle are both big accumulators of the ball in the midfield but tend to handball more than they kick. Both strong bodies already and Narkle is a very strong inside and contested player. Think with Geelong's contested midfield strength they will get a good period of development in the VFL and time to work on there areas for improvement.

Ratugolea I've briefly touched on. A bit like Buzza from the 2015 draft in a way is a raw, tall player. Pelnty of upside there in him but like all young talls can go missing at times. Needs to work on his game sense in the VFL.

Henry is another player with large upside in him once he builds his body strength because his got the footy smarts and competes hard. In the long term Guthrie could play a similar role to older brother Cam although may find his place more a lock down smaller defender. Has good defensive traits to his game already and shown he can play on smaller or taller opponents but really needs to work on his body size and strength firstly.
BRILLIANT analysis.
I certainly could not do the same for a WCE best 22.
I can't see Kolo missing out after all his development, but your selections all have merit.

B: Bews Henderson Kolo
HB: Tuohy Taylor Thurlow
C: Duncan Selwood Guthrie
HF: Motlop Black Cockatoo
F: Menzel Hawkins McCarthy
R: Smith Dangerfield S.Selwood
I: Stanley Menegola Blicavs Lang

From a structural pov I would like to see something like that.

A more mobile backline than 2016 but back in reality Lonergan and Mackie will no doubt play. Lonergan will probably still play well too but I just really struggle to see how they will fit all the talls in and get the structure right. Harry and Henderson won't cut it as full time forwards, Stanley is not a full time forward, which leaves Black as a bit of a hail mary option at CHF but is the right fit structurally. Really keen to see how he goes in the pre season. If they chop and change between Harry/Henderson/Stanley pinch hitting at CHF it is going to be a frustrating season.

Great effort. I think it's becoming more and more likely Harry Taylor plays forward next year. Other than that, your other selections look good. I like Blitz on a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back