News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All clubs recruit or trade for talls. Your point is?

I think there has been a greater emphasis on talls during Hinkley's time than before.

In general, our recruiting has improved out of sight since those dark days.

Being under stress and expectation to succeed shouldn't be top secret information. There wouldn't be a coach in the AFL that doesn't have a heap of expectation on them. Ken himself has been on the record asking himself if he's up to the task.
Good on Ken for openly questioning if he is up to putting up with the level of stress that comes with being an AFL coach.

Any one becoming a senior AFL coach, especially someone who has worked in a coaching group of an AFL club as an assistant, would have to be well aware of the high levels of stress the job involves. They don't have to like the stress, and frankly I can't think why anyone would, but they shouldn't be complaining about it especially in an "I didn't expect this to be part of the job" way.

After listening to the KT and Hinkley press conference, it's sounded to me like , we realise we got it wrong and we are resetting and starting again.
We now know where we went wrong in structures and selections and now we are all on the same page.
Oh and of course KT had to point out where we were when Ken arrived at the club.

The thing is with all that, supporters are happy that we had good sponsers, great membership figures, we are happy with all that stuff but we need to be winning more games of football and rests in the hands of Ken Hinkley.

I rarely scroll back and see whats been said but i dare say the melts flew thick n fast.
I was hoping the kids would get a couple of finals under their belt but it wasnt to be, ive liked what i've seen so far from them. Consistency will come with more games under their belt and i think we have the makings of a solid lineup.
I want to see Boak step up n take his spot back as a regular starting mid and lead these younger kids from the front. Its hard to lead from the flank. If not the captaincy is yours to lose Ollie.
Galvanise as a playing group,coaches and us as supporters n leave the s**t in the past.
Whats done is done.
If we dont have a flag by the end of Kens current contract then by all means melt hard n fire up the microwaves but until then lets enjoy this ride.
SPP,Dougal,Houston,Bonner,Atley,Marshall,AJ,Clurey etc playing good footy with the likes of Ryder,Ollie,Gray,Dix,Ebert,Jonas and co is enough to have me pretty optimistic.
Until 2018 season starts its all about the Packers for me.
I am not enjoying this ride. How can anyone enjoy a zip - 5 result vs the Crows. Can't understand why so many Port supporters accept this garbage.

That's why he gets paid handsomely. No-one said the job was easy.

You are taking simplistic and sledgehammer view to what stress is and what it does.

Yes stress is a part of the job, a big part but do you realise that stress lies on a continuum?

There's an optimum level of stress for productivity.

• To perform at your best you need to experience some stress, yes.

• Too much stress and your pre-frontal cortex (the part of the brain used for rational thinking) begins to lose this functionality.

• Too much stress and the amygdala (the part of the brain responsible for your fight-or-flight response can’t exactly distinguish between a life threatening situation and too many first world problems, which means that it takes resources from the pre-frontal cortex and therefore your rational productivity declines from where it should be..

So KT et al. have decided to lessen the shackles and some of that stress to enable him to function optimally, like he did when he first arrived.

good-stress-bad-stress_curve.jpg

You are taking simplistic and sledgehammer view to what stress is and what it does.

Yes stress is a part of the job, a big part but do you realise that stress lies on a continuum?

There's an optimum level of stress for productivity.

• To perform at your best you need to experience some stress, yes.

• Too much stress and your pre-frontal cortex (the part of the brain used for rational thinking) begins to lose this functionality.

• Too much stress and the amygdala (the part of the brain responsible for your fight-or-flight response can’t exactly distinguish between a life threatening situation and too many first world problems, which means that it takes resources from the pre-frontal cortex and therefore your rational productivity declines from where it should be..

So KT et al. have decided to lessen the shackles and some of that stress to enable him to function optimally, like he did when he first arrived.

View attachment 418480

Yes, he experiences stress. So does Ross Lyon, Nathan Buckley, Damien Hardwick and so on and so on.

You tried to make the claim that it was worse for Hinkley because Adelaide is a fishbowl and the Crows are flying. Whether or not you think that makes Ken's job harder than any other AFL coach is arguable. The Victorian media is no more forgiving.

The weight of expectation would be just as, if not more heavy, on KT and DK. If this contract extension isn't looking like a wise move midway through next year, I dare say those guys will be experiencing a lot more bad stress too.

Yes, he experiences stress. So does Ross Lyon, Nathan Buckley, Damien Hardwick and so on and so on.

You tried to make the claim that it was worse for Hinkley because Adelaide is a fishbowl and the Crows are flying. Whether or not you think that makes Ken's job harder than any other AFL coach is arguable. The Victorian media is no more forgiving.

The weight of expectation would be just as, if not more heavy, on KT and DK. If this contract extension isn't looking like a wise move midway through next year, I dare say those guys will be experiencing a lot more bad stress too.
In Victoria the pressure is spread over 10 clubs. If one is flying the other 10 take part of the pressure.
In SA you take the full brunt.
Yes I have heard from many that it is worse in the fishbowl of Adelaide.

Sorry if you believe the club should just say too bad Ken suck it up, rather than removing some of the unnecessary stress to improve his performance.
Using the overarching term stress, as I said is too simplistic.

Us supporters/members that don't fall in line with everything the PAFC does are going to have to suck it up and hope the clubs management have made the right decision.
Four years is such a long time to vent frustration...
GO PORTS - show us we were wrong.
This is so true. Right now I'm so pissed off with this decision but I know I need to change my attitude otherwise I'm wasting my $600 plus membership. Not sure I can to be honest.

What I want to know is who decided to play the kids. It was too late in the season though and the continual backing of underperforming senior players hurt our finals chances. If Ken was pushed to play the kids we are doomed.

In Victoria the pressure is spread over 10 clubs. If one is flying the other 10 take part of the pressure.

Sorry if you believe the club should just say too bad Ken suck it up, rather than removing some of the unnecessary stress to improve his performance.

He still had a year to run. He's been given an extra three.

I'm sure a guaranteed wage for
four years is pretty damn good for stress relief but may not be the most wise move for this football club. Why is that so hard to understand?

He still had a year to run. He's been given an extra three.

I'm sure a guaranteed wage for
four years is pretty damn good for stress relief but may not be the most wise move for this football club. Why is that so hard to understand?
On the other hand, why is it so hard to understand that him spending next year in the orange / red zone is counterproductive whereas spending it in the yellow zone could give us the best of Ken and of the team?
I agree it might not work but KT and the club hierarchy, knowing and working with Ken day to day since he joined us believe it is the best option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there has been a greater emphasis on talls during Hinkley's time than before.

In general, our recruiting has improved out of sight since those dark days.
One of the lesser recognised issues of our earlier ‘SANFL death spiral of cuts’ is that included lack of resources for talent identification. Outside of the top picks where the information on them is overflowing, we didn’t have the resources to see which of ‘the rest’ we thought could come on or suited the club, anywhere near as much as we needed.

It shouldn’t surprise that since we’ve put more resources in this ‘hidden’ area since KT and Koch have come on board we’ve had good returns on more of our later picks. It’s still an area we need to invest more in, once we’ve got finances better. It’s not sexy, but given we aren’t a NSW or QLD side to be handed top talent, it’s as important at least as any assistant coach to our future fortunes. More so I’d argue.

On the other hand, why is it so hard to understand that him spending next year in the orange / red zone is counterproductive whereas spending it in the yellow zone could give us the best of Ken and of the team?
I agree it might not work but KT and the club hierarchy, knowing and working with Ken day to day since he joined us believe it is the best option.
Given we’ve minimal effect on the media, outside of the club producing more content to bypass the SA media (and make available more players and off-field staff to the likes of PortFanRadio where there’s no agenda against the club), the best way to take stress of Ken now is get him better assistants.

.... Sorry if you believe the club should just say too bad Ken suck it up, rather than removing some of the unnecessary stress to improve his performance. ...
Hang on, are you arguing that the club gave Ken an unwarranted and premature contract extension to lower his stress levels? o_O

The stress wasn't unnecessary. At all.

While under KT this club has always put relationships and community first, our core business is to win football games. To be a successful football team, we need to be able to make tough calls at every level of the club, and our good relationships first mantra makes that very difficult.

That was all well and good in 2014 where our super tight knit group looked like it was going to storm the AFL, but it didn't work out. Once it didn't work out, we needed to identify where the issues were and fix them, and despite talking a big game "We know who you are", we didn't move on anybody of note. We didn't make any tough calls.

We then continued to back in players who have underperformed for years. We've now resigned a coach who has underperformed for years because we want to make him feel better. We've rewarded people because we like them and not because they are good at their job.

To be successful in AFL football, you need to be able to perform under pressure. We are a club that has buckled under pressure for 20 goddamn years, and we're doubling down on that mental weakness by fostering it and rewarding it. We are the soft parents of a little brat of a child who will struggle to be successful in life because we didn't teach him resilience.

Expecting Hinkley to take a talented team to the next level in his 6th year as coach with a new contract as the carrot is absolutely not putting him under undue stress if we have any interest in being successful as a football club.

The stress wasn't unnecessary. At all.

While under KT this club has always put relationships and community first, our core business is to win football games. To be a successful football team, we need to be able to make tough calls at every level of the club, and our good relationships first mantra makes that very difficult.

That was all well and good in 2014 where our super tight knit group looked like it was going to storm the AFL, but it didn't work out. Once it didn't work out, we needed to identify where the issues were and fix them, and despite talking a big game "We know who you are", we didn't move on anybody of note. We didn't make any tough calls.

We then continued to back in players who have underperformed for years. We've now resigned a coach who has underperformed for years because we want to make him feel better. We've rewarded people because we like them and not because they are good at their job.

To be successful in AFL football, you need to be able to perform under pressure. We are a club that has buckled under pressure for 20 goddamn years, and we're doubling down on that mental weakness by fostering it and rewarding it. We are the soft parents of a little brat of a child who will struggle to be successful in life because we didn't teach him resilience.

Expecting Hinkley to take a talented team to the next level in his 6th year as coach with a new contract as the carrot is absolutely not putting him under undue stress if we have any interest in being successful as a football club.
Yes stress is healthy and good and so is pressure for performance, but it's the level of stress that's important for productivity, optimal or suboptimal.

Yes stress is healthy and good and so is pressure for performance, but it's the level of stress that's important for productivity, optimal or suboptimal.

You've totally ignored the thrust of my argument.

List of premiership sides who didn't have to battle through some adversity to get there:

1. 2007 Geelong

That is all.

We have no resilience and the relationships>everything mantra of our club, which led to Hinkley's resigning, has again rewarded someone because we liked them and not because they deserved it. That is a recipe for failure and we cook up a bloody storm at this club.

So then you understand the ramifications if it doesn't work, right?

I'm fine with Ken being given everything he needs to do the job well. He said that DK has given him everything he needs. It's the three years that is up for debate. We've been down this road before and it didn't end well.

Win a showdown. Beat a top 8 side. Win a final. Be competitive. Improve our skills and forward line. Improve our efficiency.

Start doing any of these things and the stress goes away and everyone is happy.

Am I confident Ken is the man to get it done? Not nearly enough. There are still the same glaring deficiencies that haven't been addressed during his tenure and every year it appears that another problem pops up that needs fixing.

Do I hope like **** that he is able to make us successful? Of course.

Do I think three years on top of the one he already had was absolutely necessary to ensure he was able to do his job like a professional? No.

Do I think this contract extension is a massive risk for everyone involved. **** yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back