Player Watch Trent Cotchin - Elite

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow tick, Premiership tick.
While everyone takes their time to politely troll losing teams, or laud players who have good games in a winning side...time to respect a new member of the elite midfielders club - Trent Cotchin.

Plays his heart out usually while being tagged within an inch of his life - averages 25+ touches a game and kicks goals.

Welcome Trent - hope you win a Brownlow, but better yet a Premiership medallion.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Man people get caught up in the disposals.

Ignore the disposals Tom still gets on the outside he still averages more clearances, tackles, contested possesions than Cotchin ever did back when he was getting more of it. The fact his tank allows him to also get around the ground and burn off his opponent just makes him even more well rounded.
Accusing someone of getting caught up in disposals and then quoting in the next line how Mitchell get's more of everything is a bit odd, however I wasn't referencing Mitchell in regard to how Cotchin plays. Already stated that Mitchell is elite in regard to getting the pill, was more referencing Richmond's and Cotchin's playing style. Richmond usually get cleaned up in clearances and contested/uncontested possessions, tackles etc. but are the best side in it at the moment. We use the ball with a minimum of efficiency and once cleared out of the back line get it as quickly as possible into the forward line. Rarely do any of our mids get over 30 possessions.

If we got off 2018 the last season both Mitchell and Cotchin were fit for most of it.

Going by averages

Disposals - Mitchell - 35 Cotchin - 22

Clearances Mitchell - 8 Cotchin - 5

tackles - Mitchell - 6 Cotchin - 4

Goals - Mitchell 0.5 Cotchin 0.2

He is also ahead in contested possessions and inside 50's. Mitchell is leading Cotchin in just about every major area that you could judge midfielders on. I have no idea how he can be rated as a better mid.

I can't be bothered comparing the stats to the other two as well but currently judging them as mid's alone on talent Cotchin is not a better player than any of those 3.
Richmond as a team lose most of those stats almost every game, yet are comfortably ahead of the rest of the competition.

‘Elite’ needs to be defined first, and that’s real hard to do statistically cause all players are different. This is where the eye test comes in. Is Cotchin elite at racking up disposals = no (not now). Is Cotchin elite at setting standards in game and his leadership that his teammates follow = yes. I know which one I prefer

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The bloke who epitomises who Cotchin has become is one Luke Hodge. And there is not one Hawks supporter on this planet who would not rate Hodge as elite.

Richmond as a team lose most of those stats almost every game, yet are comfortably ahead of the rest of the competition.
Well sure but despite Richmond losing most stats Dustin Martin still ranks elite in a lot of key areas as does Lynch and Riewoldt.

There is a stat for just about anything you do on a football field these days, what is it he does that makes him an elite midfielder.

Because that has been my whole point through this entire thread, i am not arguing he is one of the Tigers most important players and i am not arguing he is a big part of the reason they are successful. I am saying those things don't make him an elite mid.

Well sure but despite Richmond losing most stats Dustin Martin still ranks elite in a lot of key areas as does Lynch and Riewoldt.

There is a stat for just about anything you do on a football field these days, what is it he does that makes him an elite midfielder.

Because that has been my whole point through this entire thread, i am not arguing he is one of the Tigers most important players and i am not arguing he is a big part of the reason they are successful. I am saying those things don't make him an elite mid.
Let's see how he goes next season when hopefully he is injury free. The first half of 2018 he was playing the best football I have ever seen him play, but tailed off possibly due to injury. Last season was a virtual right off as although he ended up playing 14 games most of them were under done or he got injured at some stage in the game. Of course he wasn't elite in 2019, my bet is he will be pretty hungry next season.

The bloke who epitomises who Cotchin has become is one Luke Hodge. And there is not one Hawks supporter on this planet who would not rate Hodge as elite.

With all due respect, there is a hardness and level of courage in Hodge's game that Cotchin does not have in him. If you are talking leadership, that makes more sense.

With all due respect, there is a hardness and level of courage in Hodge's game that Cotchin does not have in him. If you are talking leadership, that makes more sense.

Yet he threw Mumford around like he was a child, basically removed him from the GF with one tackle.

You clearly haven’t watched Cotchin enough if you don’t think he has a hard edge. Guy smashes into packs and puts his body on the line. Or do you mean like how Hodge bumps blokes heads into goalposts off the ball, that kind of hardness???

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a very good player and captain,but i honestly cannot rate Cotchin as an elite player.

Yet you rate Docherty elite on your board. Blue logic never fails to amaze lol.

Trent Cotchin the player is not elite, not any more

Trent Cotchin the leader is elite.

Takes many pieces to make a Premiership puzzle.

Agree mate. One thing I'll add, for impact in games when we need a lift, chimp does that in spades more then most players I've seen

He gets credited with more moments that change matches (and particularly finals) than literally anyone else I can think of.
Absolutely elite in that category.
(no need to think only of the many positive match-changing acts here either- cf. toss-gate 2014, tagged-gate 2015, Shiel-gate 2017)

Any other questions?

He gets credited with more moments that change matches (and particularly finals) than literally anyone else I can think of.
(no need to think only of the many positive match-changing acts here either- cf. toss-gate 2014, tagged-gate 2015, Shiel-gate 2017)

Any other questions?

Very true.

Any other questions?
Well as you didn't answer my last one i don't think i will bother no.

Well as you didn't answer my last one i don't think i will bother no.
Here's another example for you:

..He is offered the 'Buddy money' to move to Hawthorn in 2015..

..exercises elite decision making and is now a two-time Premiership Captain at Richmond.

I
I can only imagine you haven’t seen much of Cotchin over the last 3 years. Bizarre comment to make. Hardness is not about belting blokes (Hawks fans lay off...I’m Hodges biggest fan). Cotchin plays for the Tiges to win.

I

I can only imagine you haven’t seen much of Cotchin over the last 3 years. Bizarre comment to make. Hardness is not about belting blokes (Hawks fans lay off...I’m Hodges biggest fan). Cotchin plays for the Tiges to win.

Cotchin belts blokes within the rules; Dylan. Mummy.

Cotchin is a real hard man, the football is the priority.

It’s a thing of beauty. You could land a jet on it.

its like a weapon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back