Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find amazing in all this is how Richmond supporters completely neglect the fact that the player in question doesn't want to be at Richmond.

It is a significant factor - more significant than whether he's contracted and more significant than whether Richmond wants him to stay or not.

Its delusional not to acknowledge the realities of the situation.

I don't think wanting to be at a club and seeking a trade are necessarily mutually exclusive. First and foremost he wants to play, like any footballer worth his salt. He knows he is outside the top 22 at the powerhouse club of the era, and is now looking for other opportunities simply to satisfy that urge to play more games - which can't have been helped by having no VFL this season. Should a trade not go through, he'll be straight back into the mix and work his arse off to break back into the team.

He's not worth a first round pick IMO - can't see him ever being an automatic selection at any club but all going well, can play 150 games. Mid=Rd2 pick perhaps (without allowing for pick swaps).

We even have a guy that's played 20 games with 2 flags that didnt start until 28 years of age
And has won more premierships than St Kilda has in their entire existence.

I think approaching an already contracted young player with no communication with his club may have already put a wrinkle in the relationship, particularly after Richmond treated them very well last time around (Butler) and have shown themselves to be very reasonable over the years.

You're assuming we approached him.
How do you know it wasn’t the other way around?

I agree with the games that you mentioned and the games he missed out on. If not for his brain injury he would have played 55-60 games already. But since coming back i dont see the same player.

I was more comfortable with Aarts in the team than Higgins this year and have my doubts about his ability to get back to what he was in his 1st year
We seen with Graham Polak after the tram accident that he never recovered to fully become the player he was and brain injuries are very different.

He can get back there. Seemed to not have the confidence in his games this year compared to his 1st year. Higgo is a player that looks best playing on instinct, he hasn't lost that instinct he just wasn't playing with it this year and than can go with confidence. Maybe not confident with his body so thinking about that, instead of just playing, I'm not sure, but I reckon he'll get back there whether playing for the Tiges or the Saints.

He's a very smart footballer and thats what he gives him the edge compared to having great foot speed (which he's not blessed with).

What I find amazing in all this is how Richmond supporters completely neglect the fact that the player in question doesn't want to be at Richmond.

It is a significant factor - more significant than whether he's contracted and more significant than whether Richmond wants him to stay or not.

Its delusional not to acknowledge the realities of the situation.
I think papley wanted out of the swans more last year than jack wants out of the tigers this year and that worked out fine in the end. I hope Richmond dig their heels in and if we can’t be compensated fairly I see no issue in jack being held to his contract.

You're assuming we approached him.
How do you know it wasn’t the other way around?

Pete Ryan and Michael Gleeson mentioned on The Age Real Footy podcast that the Saints approached Higgins and the Tigers aren't happy about it given that he's contracted and on top of that not willing to part with anything decent for him.

He can get back there. Seemed to not have the confidence in his games this year compared to his 1st year. Higgo is a player that looks best playing on instinct, he hasn't lost that instinct he just wasn't playing with it this year and than can go with confidence. Maybe not confident with his body so thinking about that, instead of just playing, I'm not sure, but I reckon he'll get back there whether playing for the Tiges or the Saints.

He's a very smart footballer and thats what he gives him the edge compared to having great foot speed (which he's not blessed with).

He did look hesitant with his play and seemed to hold onto the ball longer than what he should have or has done in the past, I hope for his sake its just the confidence thing but it was noticeable in the games he did play. Good luck to the kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond fans sound a bit salty still with the whole Butler trade..

Not at all. I'm really happy for Butts, but happy to see him play badly against us and well against others :D

To be fair, he had a great season in 2017 (after it looked like he might be delisted at the end of 2016), then an ok season in 2018 and a very average season in 2019 when he came out of contract and we won the premiership (ie. there weren't many weak links). He certainly wasn't looking like he'd get to where he was at the end of 2019. I did say to Saints fans that I know he'd be a great get but I wasn't expecting him to deliver what he did but good on him, the Saints run and gun gameplan certainly suits him very well.

BTW most Tiges fans only have good things to say about Butts. Afterall he will always be remembered for THAT goal in the 2017 GF when it became apparent even to the most pessimistic Tiges fan that we had the game won, and I'm pretty sure that was the goal that got Richo all teary, no Tiges fans will forget that goal.

Pete Ryan and Michael Gleeson mentioned on The Age Real Footy podcast that the Saints approached Higgins and the Tigers aren't happy about it given that he's contracted and on top of that not willing to part with anything decent for him.
Then they should reflect that in the trade negotiations accordingly. If i felt that way i would just say this is the cost and no more to discuss
take it or leave

The general consensus from across the board is that a future second round pick and a swap of first round picks for this year would get it done and would be a fair deal.

Personally I’d still want to see the club stand firm and keep him if we don’t get an outright first round pick for Higgins. However what I’d want to do and what I expect to see happen are quite different I think.

Not sure I always believe what the media say quite frankly.
Both clubs will posture....not enough...too much...
and a satisfactory deal for both will be reached.
It usually gets done fairly easily unless there‘s a Dodoro involved.
I very much doubt it’ll include our first unless it’s a swap of them and something extra.
By this time tomorrow we’ll all be a little wiser.

Haha why? We won the flag...he could of been a dual premiership player.
Winning flags is the point of AFL.
Not sure the saints have worked that out
We have 21 year olds with more individual flags than your whole club...good luck to Butts and Hig if they are chasing the $$ becuase they certainly arnt going there for success
I thought the point of AFL was to get rich, get chicks and do a ****load of coke.

The general consensus from across the board is that a future second round pick and a swap of first round picks for this year would get it done and would be a fair deal.

Personally I’d still want to see the club stand firm and keep him if we don’t get an outright first round pick for Higgins. However what I’d want to do and what I expect to see happen are quite different I think.
I don’t think that’s the consensus.

When a club tries to poach a contracted opposition player. When that club sells that player a dream.
It's on them to make the trade work.
And everything points to the fact it will get done, so what's the problem?

I swear some of you on here think you're actually the ones negotiating the deal, and that because a deal hasn't been agreed to on here, in fantasy land, it won't between St Kilda and Richmond by the trade deadline either! :D

FMD pissing around for sh!tty picks
could you imagine if St Kilda were asked for a pick #6 like we were with Prestia ! They would have had a heart attack and ran away

Just tell the kid either pick another team or your staying Carlton,Hawks,Dee's and north have all asked so pick 1
Settle Gretel, you're getting yourself all worked up in a tizz over something that by all reports is going to get done no worries.

How would you be if you were the one actually negotiating the deal, instead of just speculating about it in here- where very few if any of the facts of the matter are actually known!

You'd be losing your shit all over the place!

I don't think wanting to be at a club and seeking a trade are necessarily mutually exclusive. First and foremost he wants to play, like any footballer worth his salt. He knows he is outside the top 22 at the powerhouse club of the era, and is now looking for other opportunities simply to satisfy that urge to play more games - which can't have been helped by having no VFL this season. Should a trade not go through, he'll be straight back into the mix and work his arse off to break back into the team.

He's not worth a first round pick IMO - can't see him ever being an automatic selection at any club but all going well, can play 150 games. Mid=Rd2 pick perhaps (without allowing for pick swaps).
Absolutely correct - I'm thinking around 30 +/- is about the target.

No offence to his Tiger fans but as a forward he's not much of an upgrade on Jack Lonie, who we'd struggle to get a 3rd rounder for so we are looking at him for his capability to play midfield minutes. And that doesn't turn him into a first rounder.

Absolutely correct - I'm thinking around 30 +/- is about the target.

No offence to his Tiger fans but as a forward he's not much of an upgrade on Jack Lonie, who we'd struggle to get a 3rd rounder for so we are looking at him for his capability to play midfield minutes. And that doesn't turn him into a first rounder.
He’s still under contract.

Back