Traded Jack Higgins [Traded to St Kilda with #21 and a Future 4th Round Pick for #17 and a Future 2nd Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely correct - I'm thinking around 30 +/- is about the target.

No offence to his Tiger fans but as a forward he's not much of an upgrade on Jack Lonie, who we'd struggle to get a 3rd rounder for so we are looking at him for his capability to play midfield minutes. And that doesn't turn him into a first rounder.
I think he is a lot better player than Lonie, I agree he is not worth a first but a pick in like the mid 20s is fair not a third rounder

Not sure I always believe what the media say quite frankly.
Both clubs will posture....not enough...too much...
and a satisfactory deal for both will be reached.
It usually gets done fairly easily unless thereā€˜s a Dodoro involved.
I very much doubt itā€™ll include our first unless itā€™s a swap of them and something extra.
By this time tomorrow weā€™ll all be a little wiser.

Yep definitely agree that it's best to question the media at the best of times but The Age and Pete Ryan in particular have proven to be very accurate this time of year.

...... and then turn them into AA standard.

Because even our castoffs shine and can't help but look good when compared to the general spudliness of your list.

Donā€™t hate us because our player development gets the most out of the players we bring in.

If only you picked up Marlion Pickett

Donā€™t hate us because our player development gets the most out of the players we bring in.
We are the development kings.

Our depth is great,why Higgo is looking to move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you guys could develop players, you'd draft them and wouldn't need to be so active in trading.

;)

If you guys could develop players, you'd draft them and wouldn't need to be so active in trading.

;)
Accurate.

In the Richmond v St. Kilda Semi Final, 10 of Saints 22 players started their careers at a different club (Note Ryder was out Injured, or that could've been 11).
Richmond had 4.

It would almost imply St. Kilda can't develop their own :eek:

The incredibly frustrating thing about this trade is that in a vacuum, I'd suggest most Saints fans would agree that pick 17 is pretty much bang on the money as far as Higgins' worth is concerned. But when you factor in that the AFL has rules around the number of first round picks that must be used over a certain time period, staying in the first round becomes the key factor - regardless of whether that pick is 17 or 21.

This is why we've been creating trades that involve future 2nds, 3rds, some fairy dust and magic beans trying to conjure a way to trade for a player that we obviously want while providing the level of value that Richmond and Higgins deserve. I think it would be much simpler if we could trade 17 directly and have it count as our first round being used this year - Higgins is only 21 so it's clearly not as if we're trading away our future.

From Richmond's very valid perspective, they have a highly-rated youngster under contract who they don't want to lose for cents on the dollar, so clearly they'd want pick 17. But from our perspective, due to weird regulations, pick 17 is worth so much more because of the freedoms that we would lose if we gave it up.

Richmond are a well-run organisation, and for the first time in a while I feel relatively confident that I can say something similar about the Saints. If a trade comes through, I'm sure it will be done to benefit all parties and without the posturing and measuring of phalluses that we see from other clubs.

Also I've always maintained it wasn't a throw.

The incredibly frustrating thing about this trade is that in a vacuum, I'd suggest most Saints fans would agree that pick 17 is pretty much bang on the money as far as Higgins' worth is concerned. But when you factor in that the AFL has rules around the number of first round picks that must be used over a certain time period, staying in the first round becomes the key factor - regardless of whether that pick is 17 or 21.

This is why we've been creating trades that involve future 2nds, 3rds, some fairy dust and magic beans trying to conjure a way to trade for a player that we obviously want while providing the level of value that Richmond and Higgins deserve. I think it would be much simpler if we could trade 17 directly and have it count as our first round being used this year - Higgins is only 21 so it's clearly not as if we're trading away our future.

From Richmond's very valid perspective, they have a highly-rated youngster under contract who they don't want to lose for cents on the dollar, so clearly they'd want pick 17. But from our perspective, due to weird regulations, pick 17 is worth so much more because of the freedoms that we would lose if we gave it up.

Richmond are a well-run organisation, and for the first time in a while I feel relatively confident that I can say something similar about the Saints. If a trade comes through, I'm sure it will be done to benefit all parties and without the posturing and measuring of phalluses that we see from other clubs.

Spot on, good post. :thumbsu:

We have one of the youngest teams going around. Our development is just fine.

Firstly, my comment above was just a bit of banter with Fryman, so I hope nobody is taking it too seriously.

That said, if anything, having a young list would suggest your development has been poor, because (relatively) few players were developed well enough to keep.

It was, but it's like how going for a speccie is almost always (technically) a push in the back and/or high contact but it gets ignored. For the spectacular moves, you allow a little leeway.

Firstly, my comment above was just a bit of banter with Fryman, so I hope nobody is taking it too seriously.

That said, if anything, having a young list would suggest your development has been poor, because (relatively) few players were developed well enough to keep.
Nah that's all good, banter is what we're here for.

Yeah our drafting was crap up to around 2017. You won't find a saint supporter who says otherwise. Things are better now though. Especially when we're nabbing players like Higgins for a late future second and third, haha.

You may be premiers Tigers but when it comes to trade week, you know who the real champs are.

Enjoy your future second for Higgs. At least we used some lube this time, rather than going in dry like we did to Adelaide. šŸ˜‰

Its ok, win trade week if you like, lube or not.

We'll save going in without lube for Grand Final day, like we have for 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Back