Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt. But we’ll still play with what we have. It still has value to teams who have bids to match

Yeah, I think if he does nominate Melbourne it'll be some interesting gymnastics at the trade table.

With regards to bids to match for next year, according to the draft board I think at this stage it's just Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S) that's looking like a top 10 pick at this stage.

Saad had been finishing in the top couple of Essendon's B&F for 3 years IIRC. I don't see why based on form. Age and potential maybe.

It's interesting though. You guys would have Brayshaw and Serong ahead of Cerra, making him what ... your 5th most important midfielder in 2021?

Where do we think Cerra would go in this year's draft if he were in there?
I think most have him around the same draft position.
Plus the added benefit of knowing his body can stand up to AFL, is professional and a known quantity.

the three games this year worth checking out are Sydney R19, Richmond R20 and West Coast R22 - these would be his ceiling, which is bloody good.

There was a stat floating around as well, (just can't seem to find it, maybe a Ralph article?) that had him as #3 for retained kicks inside 50.

One of these posts is not like the other.

So what if we drafted another couple of good young mids

How does that affect Cerra’s value in any way shape or form ?

Of all the stupid justifications that is the absolute top of the pile

Freo is pretty good at drafting mids and can’t draft a fwd to save ourselves so what

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think most have him around the same draft position.
Plus the added benefit of knowing his body can stand up to AFL, is professional and a known quantity.

the three games this year worth checking out are Sydney R19, Richmond R20 and West Coast R22 - these would be his ceiling, which is bloody good.

There was a stat floating around as well, (just can't seem to find it, maybe a Ralph article?) that had him as #3 for retained kicks inside 50.

Thanks for your response.

I'm a little wary of handing over a first and a second. We are about to be burnt by trading SPS. He was right on track 2 years ago and then Teague put him to half back and game up with a game plan we couldn't defend.

He had a high ceiling too. Will he get it back though?

Anyway, I know #6 will go for Cerra. He's out of contract so there isn't the scope to squeeze more than his value. I'm hoping we don't have to add too much to that.

Cripps is cooked

Cerra literally slots in as your second best midfielder

I don't understand all you Carlton supporters seemingly not wanting a gun player with 10 years of his career to go

It's such BS, just stay here Adam at least the fans appreciate ya

Just get your fam to move over here instead, atl east they'll escape covid lockdowns

If Carlton want Cerra, than 6 and 24 absolutely have to be on the table. It seems to be a bidding war here, and no other team interest, esp Melbourne can match or better that offer.

Absolute no Brainer in my opinion.

That's way too much for mine Elmer. Consider the Lachie Neale trade...

Freo: 6, 19 and 55
Lions: Neale and 30

Cerra is a ripping young player, but he isn't a rolled gold, BnF winner / AA type just yet. He's also out of contract.

SOS just said he thinks 6 on it's own should be enough. "If he chooses Carlton, they are in the box seat even though Fremantle would want more." I think it might need a touch more, but i'd be very surprised if it was anywhere near the cost that you said.

Cerra is a ripping young player, but he isn't a rolled gold, BnF winner / AA type just yet. He's also out of contract.

SOS just said he thinks 6 on it's own should be enough. "If he chooses Carlton, they are in the box seat even though Fremantle would want more." I think it might need a touch more, but i'd be very surprised if it was anywhere near the cost that you said.

Think if Freo chuck us back a 3rd round pick, the trade becomes equitable. This draft apparently falls away after the first round, and we haven't really had much luck with our 2nd round selections in recent years, and as I say, we can pretty much price Melbourne out of the game by offering that package.

Freo deserve to be compensated for the development and games they put into Cerra.

I don't think you should be using SOS' words as gospel when he talks about a trade being beneficial for Carlton...

6 + late first/early second should be the bare minimum. Someone taken as early as he, after showing what he's capable of, should absolutely cost more than what he was drafted with, not less...

Think if Freo chuck us back a 3rd round pick, the trade becomes equitable. This draft apparently falls away after the first round, and we haven't really had much luck with our 2nd round selections in recent years, and as I say, we can pretty much price Melbourne out of the game by offering that package.

Freo deserve to be compensated for the development and games they put into Cerra.

Yeah it could be something like that. If Cerra nominates us though (yet to materialise) it could even be less, something like 6 and a future 3rd. The issue with your suggestion is that 25 is still a very good pick and Fremantle don't have a 3rd this year. I've spoken about this before in here, reckon that it would have to be a future 2nd of ours with a future 3rd coming back with Cerra. Carlton won't want to be one taking all the 'future risk', especially as Freo could reasonably be expected to improve.

I don't think you should be using SOS' words as gospel when he talks about a trade being beneficial for Carlton...

6 + late first/early second should be the bare minimum. Someone taken as early as he, after showing what he's capable of, should absolutely cost more than what he was drafted with, not less...

As above, reckon it could be Cerra and future 3rd for 6 and a future 2nd.

I've spoken about why 6 and 25 is too much, very close to the Neale deal. He's not at that level and is also out of contract.

Saad had been finishing in the top couple of Essendon's B&F for 3 years IIRC. I don't see why based on form. Age and potential maybe.

It's interesting though. You guys would have Brayshaw and Serong ahead of Cerra, making him what ... your 5th most important midfielder in 2021?

Well i asked the question to the draft boards and they said top 3 in this draft.

One of these posts is not like the other.

Thanks for your response.

I'm a little wary of handing over a first and a second. We are about to be burnt by trading SPS. He was right on track 2 years ago and then Teague put him to half back and game up with a game plan we couldn't defend.

He had a high ceiling too. Will he get it back though?

Anyway, I know #6 will go for Cerra. He's out of contract so there isn't the scope to squeeze more than his value. I'm hoping we don't have to add too much to that.
you have the right to be hesitant to hand over a 1st and 2nd for an out of contract mid, a decent out of contract mid. If he was still under contract, Freo would demand overs like Brad Hill when he went to the saints.

as I said, Cerra at worst is a solid B grade mid that will get 20 disposals a game on a wing or in the guts. Best case scenario is he can win a brownlow and get AA selections when he hits his prime.

Cerra isnt a dud or a hack. If he was, then why would carlton go after him in the 1st place?

If Carlton want Cerra, than 6 and 24 absolutely have to be on the table. It seems to be a bidding war here, and no other team interest, especially Melbourne can match or better that offer.

As I said, I still think Carlton will trade pick 6 to Brisbane for their picks 15 and 18. That gives Carlton options. They could say take pick 15 and 24, then hand us cerra and your 2022 3rd rounder. Its unders, but I would accept it. there's 1-5% he goes to the PSD. At least you have pick 15 to get another young gun.

I wont be suprised if Essendon swoop in for an offer.

but lets see how it plays out.....

you have the right to be hesitant to hand over a 1st and 2nd for an out of contract mid, a decent out of contract mid. If he was still under contract, Freo would demand overs like Brad Hill when he went to the saints.

as I said, Cerra at worst is a solid B grade mid that will get 20 disposals a game on a wing or in the guts. Best case scenario is he can win a brownlow and get AA selections when he hits his prime.

Cerra isnt a dud or a hack. If he was, then why would carlton go after him in the 1st place?

As I said, I still think Carlton will trade pick 6 to Brisbane for their picks 15 and 18. That gives Carlton options. They could say take pick 15 and 24, then hand us cerra and your 2022 3rd rounder. Its unders, but I would accept it. there's 1-5% he goes to the PSD. At least you have pick 15 to get another young gun.

I wont be suprised if Essendon swoop in for an offer.

but lets see how it plays out.....

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Why you keep under selling us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the record, Cerra finished equal 3rd in the BnF last year as a 20 year old - ahead of the likes of Brayshaw. I expect Cerra to again be in the top 5 of our BnF in 2021, despite missing a couple of games from injury. Cerra, whilst not getting the same amount of ball as Brayshaw, is in another league when it comes to footskills. The notion that he is behind Brayshaw and Serong is false - he has his own skillset which is just as valuable, if not more than those guys - which is why many Freo members like myself are disappointed to lose Cerra. He is absolutely worth Carlton's first and second selections in the 2021 draft.

And the Gold Coast Suns deserved to be compensated for the development and games they put into Jack Martin. You screwed them over, then made sure Melbourne couldn't pick him up in the PSD by offering him ridiculous money. The karma bus hit you hard on that one.

If Carlton want Cerra, than 6 and 24 absolutely have to be on the table. It seems to be a bidding war here, and no other team interest, esp Melbourne can match or better that offer.

It'll only be a bidding war if he hasn't nominated by Monday or Tuesday.

It's a really difficult situation for Freo at this stage as it all comes down to who Cerra nominates. I don't see there being a lot of clubs with a heap of salary cap space to throw about. Is it definitely Carlton or is Cerra still holding out for the highest contract?

Either way whomever he nominates will determine the options freo are presented with.

Freo have got unlucky in multiple regards here. If they hadn't drafted Logue the year before they likely would have drafted Naughton with the pick used on Cerra. Mind you if you look at the options available in 2016 and how they have fared you can see why they drafted Logue, particularly with their injury issues down back and McPharlin retiring the year before.

But either Oli Florent or Jy Simpkin + Naughton would put them in a better position now than Logue + Cerra. 20/20 hindsight. In saying that the other side of the coin is they are still stoked because they didn't draft Brodie.

It's a really difficult situation for Freo at this stage as it all comes down to who Cerra nominates. I don't see there being a lot of clubs with a heap of salary cap space to throw about. Is it definitely Carlton or is Cerra still holding out for the highest contract?

Either way whomever he nominates will determine the options freo are presented with.

Freo have got unlucky in multiple regards here. If they hadn't drafted Logue the year before they likely would have drafted Naughton with the pick used on Cerra. Mind you if you look at the options available in 2016 and how they have fared you can see why they drafted Logue, particularly with their injury issues down back and McPharlin retiring the year before.

But either Oli Florent or Jy Simpkin + Naughton would put them in a better position now than Logue + Cerra. 20/20 hindsight. In saying that the other side of the coin is they are still stoked because they didn't draft Brodie.

I dont think picking Cerra can be marked a fail due to his choice to go home. He's still a good player so they did pick well.

And at the very least they should get their pick back (plus icing) to have another go at picking a new player. Wasted years of development on him but that's not to say it was a total waste.

I dont think picking Cerra can be marked a fail due to his choice to go home. He's still a good player so they did pick well.

And at the very least they should get their pick back (plus icing) to have another go at picking a new player. Wasted years of development on him but that's not to say it was a total waste.

No I don't think it's a waste either and he's a fine player. I would say however from a list management and longevity perspective to be a contending team you really want to bag that talent and have them hitting their prime all around the same time particularly being based in WA and the career sum of travel.

Chances are really at best 50/50 whether they pull a player of similar quality even with say Carlton's pick 6 and their own pick 8 to replace Cerra and then you are still kicking the ball 4 years down the road.

I can really see why Freo and their supporters are pissed and want 2 first rounders. But it's very, very unlikely to happen no matter who Cerra chooses and the other huge issue is with COVID related cap issues almost every Victorian club would want him but most couldn't pay him what he wants or what freo offered which I think was more than generous.

From a fremantle perspective North could likely afford him but they aren't going to be willing to give up pick 1 or their future first as they will think it will again be a top 4 pick. Or could North get creative and offload pick 1 to adelaide for pick 4 & 23 if the crows really want Horne. They then potentially turn 4 & 38 into 14,18 and Brisbanes 2022 second rounder. Again though North probably offer up at best 14+20 for Cerra and is that a better deal for Freo? Likely not. North also have the luxury if the money talks of him going to the PSD. I had heard that Cerra had said he wanted to be traded and wouldnt be going to the PSD.

Hawks might be able to afford him but probably wouldn't want to give up their first this year. Would freo accept their 2 second rounders this year and next years first for Cerra + 2022 second. Would the hawks be willing to give that much up?

Blues won't give up 6 and 24.

They'll secure WCE first round pick in a trade for SPS, and look at passing that on for Cerra.
Freo will provide some salary relief to get it over the line

They'll secure WCE first round pick in a trade for SPS, and look at passing that on for Cerra.

I doubt The Eagles will give up a first round pick for SPS,

I cant tell if you're serious or not...

Back