Recommitted Jaeger O'Meara [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Still of the opinion that Mitchell and Gunston are more expendable than O'Meara and Wingard. A gut feel at the moment though is that O'Meara will be the only one who goes come close of trade period.

Would be a perfect fit for Port Adelaide or Richmond. Funnily enough they hold picks that I believe equals his value (15 and 16). Plus we can chip in to help with salary if required.

As a Tiger I'd be comfortable with giving away Pick 15 for him. We need some contested ball winning and clearance help for our midfield if we want to contend again and I feel his injury issues are overblown. The last 4 years he's been very durable, played 72 of 85 games in the last 4 years (85%), compare that to Prestia (61%).

The problem we have with salary, particularly in 2022, so might depend on what we can do there. Would you Josh Caddy as part of the trade? Might make trading Gunston more palatable, as Caddy could play a similar role to Gunston for you. Played that role to perfection for us in 2017 and in particular 2018 (46.15). Reckon he would be a good stop gap for you to then trade Gunston for another good pick.

As a Tiger I'd be comfortable with giving away Pick 15 for him. We need some contested ball winning and clearance help for our midfield if we want to contend again and I feel his injury issues are overblown. The last 4 years he's been very durable, played 72 of 85 games in the last 4 years (85%), compare that to Prestia (61%).

The problem we have with salary, particularly in 2022, so might depend on what we can do there. Would you Josh Caddy as part of the trade? Might make trading Gunston more palatable, as Caddy could play a similar role to Gunston for you. Played that role to perfection for us in 2017 and in particular 2018 (46.15). Reckon he would be a good stop gap for you to then trade Gunston for another good pick.
If we are paying for salary I wouldn't be disappointed with 15. If you try and give us Caddy, i want 7

Would you Josh Caddy as part of the trade? Might make trading Gunston more palatable, as Caddy could play a similar role to Gunston for you.

It'd need to be Caddy + 15 if they wanted to include Caddy honestly, we are aiming to get younger...not bring in 29 year olds who are probably passed their best footy.

The Hawks want and need first round picks and lots of them to bring a group of guns through together. Mitchell or O'meara for a 29 year old and a 30+ pick would be a step backwards. Probably wouldn't even be interested for Caddy + a pick in the 20's.

It'd need to be Caddy + 15 if they wanted to include Caddy honestly, we are aiming to get younger...not bring in 29 year olds who are probably passed their best footy.

The Hawks want and need first round picks and lots of them to bring a group of guns through together. Mitchell or O'meara for a 29 year old and a 30+ pick would be a step backwards. Probably wouldn't even be interested for Caddy + a pick in the 20's.

Yep, understand that. I wouldn't be expecting a pick back for Caddy - I'd be happy for Pick 15 and Caddy for JOM. Obviously the only reason you are doing it is for more top round picks, it makes no sense to take a 29 year old and then a later pick. It would be purely so that we could pay JOM's salary and you would gain a playing option for essentially still paying some salary.

If we are paying for salary I wouldn't be disappointed with 15. If you try and give us Caddy, i want 7

Its the same scenario though. Pay some of JOM's salary in 2022 or have Josh Caddy, and we pay JOM salary.

Its the same scenario though. Pay some of JOM's salary in 2022 or have Josh Caddy, and we pay JOM salary.
Except in your scenario we would have to put up with Caddy on our list. Would rather have an extra list spot available for us to use

Not sure if pick 16 alone would get it across the line.

Perhaps 16 and Ladhams for O’Meara and a pick in the 30s?

Assuming his knees are looking strong for a few more years.
16 would be fair imo by itself.

Would be a good for for Port to top up their midfield.

In what scenario is Josh Caddy in any way similar to Jack Gunston...

Is Caddy even worth a pick?

I don't know if this is common knowledge but Hawthorn supporters hate Josh Caddy. We remember him kicking a goal to put Geelong 20 points up in the preliminary final of 2013. We remember him breaking Will Days ankle. We'd rather keep a list spot vacant than bring him into our club in all honesty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port's Pick 16 and Ladhams for O'Meara and a Future 2nd (20-24ish) would be pretty good for all parties I'd say.

Rates O' Meara at 16, and Ladhams at 20-24, which I'd say is about right . Port are actually getting a player they want in return/getting some salary off their books and Hawks are getting a first rounder and a starting ruck, in return for a player who won't be part of their next flag push.

Win win scenario IMO

Port's Pick 16 and Ladhams for O'Meara and a Future 2nd (20-24ish) would be pretty good for all parties I'd say.

Rates O' Meara at 16, and Ladhams at 20-24, which I'd say is about right . Port are actually getting a player they want in return/getting some salary off their books and Hawks are getting a first rounder and a starting ruck, in return for a player who won't be part of their next flag push.

Win win scenario IMO

Except Hawthorn have pulled out of their pusuit of Ladhams.

I think they'll pick up Max Lynch for around their pick 59 or 59 + 65....both worth a few points for the pies to use/trade up once the Daicos bid passes.

Except Hawthorn have pulled out of their pusuit of Ladhams.

I think they'll pick up Max Lynch for around their pick 59 or 59 + 65....both worth a few points for the pies to use/trade up once the Daicos bid passes.

Oh no I know they have, was just more as a deal that I see that benefits both parties, without Hawthorn having to give up a first rounder - which is why they pulled out - and then also getting another first rounder in return

I don't know if this is common knowledge but Hawthorn supporters hate Josh Caddy. We remember him kicking a goal to put Geelong 20 points up in the preliminary final of 2013. We remember him breaking Will Days ankle. We'd rather keep a list spot vacant than bring him into our club in all honesty.

No I didn't know that and thats ok. I'd be pretty happy to give over Pick 15, but we might need some salary cap help with him in 2022 (we are probably ok after that being as we don't have that many signed up past 2022, I think only 14 players signed past 2022 so should give us some flexibility with the cap after next year.

No idea if we are interested though.

After all of the rubbish that has been posted on the Ladham's thread, I assume we are getting O'meara for a future forth yeah? Good player, 28, busted knees. Being forced out by his club. That's how this trading caper works right?

16 is overs

Somewhere between 20-30

It will end up being close to 20, but I agree with you. 28 before next season, injury prone, 3 good years left in him at the absolute most. Probably have to offer him a 4th year just to get him to agree. He get's injured next year and that's our window done and he's helping us rebuild in the last 2 years of his career whilst getting a 4th for doing nothing. Just a terrible trade for us.

It will end up being close to 20, but I agree with you. 28 before next season, injury prone, 3 good years left in him at the absolute most. Probably have to offer him a 4th year just to get him to agree. He get's injured next year and that's our window done and he's helping us rebuild in the last 2 years of his career whilst getting a 4th for doing nothing. Just a terrible trade for us.

He's more durable than people realise. Also missed games with concussion this season. His knees aren't really that much of a concern anymore.

He was also likely in the All Australian squad after the first 6 rounds this year. Polled well in the Brownlow.

Is a quality midfielder but at this point in time could be immensely more valuable to Port Adelaide than Hawthorn.

Win win scenario IMO
Or we could just do 16 for Omeara?

Reads a lot like Shaun Burgoyne's trade.

Out of interest would this work
swans
in .....Ladhams
out ...31
Port
In ...JOM , future 3rd ( about 40 )
out Ladhams 16
Hawks
In .....16 ,31
out JOM , future 3rd

If we're comparing apples with apache helicopters, you might as well compare it to Aliir. We got an AA level player for around pick 40, so pick 50 for Jaeger? If you only got 2-3 injury interrupted years from Burgoyne, you would be seething about that trade. The fact that you got one of the all time great injury comeback stories doesn't mean anything come trade period.

If we could get that sort of output out of omeara then it’s obviously a no brainer. I just don’t think he has the versatility of Burgoyne. The best part of Shaun was he was able to play anywhere and be an impact player. Need him on ball for short bursts? Gun. Need him to head back and shore up the defence? Gun. Need him to play small forward and kick a goal or 2? Gun. That defintely helped to prolong his career as he could be a role player rather than the guy who drives the team. Omeara feels a bit more like starting mid or bust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back