Rumour GFC 2021 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists... Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know it’s a simple idea but I love the high ceiling high floor analogy - I hadn’t thought of it that way- cheers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder if we can use these analogies to explain our misses in the first round (smedts, thurlow, lang).
late first round picks were a lottery in those years and maybe it was the high floor, high ceiling strategy that lead us astray.
rather than go for someone safe with runs on the board and less injury queries - the strategy seems to be look for the player who could have major upside and become an a grader. In this respect we have missed drafting solid afl players who get to 150 games and add depth in the lure of attracting one hidden star.

Our safe picks in the 20's and 30's we have nailed.

We aren’t a serious contender. Making finals just to be smashed doesn’t even come close to making you a contender.
Not true. We were a serious contender all season. We died in the arse with injuries and illness at the end, but even rd 23, we got 44 points up on the eventual Premiers. With some better luck and list management, we could easily contend again, or we could finish 10th.

hocking is an idiot
we have a decade and a half of success almost 2 decades, and one could argue an injury or two would have doubled the premiership haul
if he wants to run a club through carlton like turmoil so be it
but there is no reason to look at those models and envy them

clark constanble are simply not good enough
cocky was a reach and backfired - throw lever into our defensive setup and its beyond elite

We aren’t a serious contender. Making finals just to be smashed doesn’t even come close to making you a contender.
Making the GF last year doesn't count as a contender?

Why bother with the season? Why not just tune in for GF's that feature Geelong. Or better still, watch a replay when Geelong win a flag.
Only premierships count, so why waste your time with all the rest.

Not true. We were a serious contender all season. We died in the arse with injuries and illness at the end, but even rd 23, we got 44 points up on the eventual Premiers. With some better luck and list management, we could easily contend again, or we could finish 10th.

Agreed.

Making the GF last year doesn't count as a contender?

Why bother with the season? Why not just tune in for GF's that feature Geelong. Or better still, watch a replay when Geelong win a flag.
Only premierships count, so why waste your time with all the rest.
This year.

Don’t know how you considered what i said had anything to do with last year. But you do you.

We don't want Scott with his bias to defenders having a say in drafting. As it is, a player like Frejo, should we draft him, will quite likely be coached within an inch of his life.

Having said that, I am with those who want to see some speed and flair introduced in to the list - Chesser, Grayson, Banks, Brown et al. Murley looks good but smaller players need to be very good to end up 200-gamers.

Alleer would be great at pick 30-ish but will be snapped up by then I would suggest.

Still gives you a lot of enjoyable games of football to go to.

The after the siren winning goal from 2E at KP in front of a large home crowd was really exciting. Who here wanted him to miss so that we could drop a rung or two? Do people really want to cheer on defeats? I want my team to win every game.

Knightmare currently has us grabbing Leek Aleer with #32 in his mock draft.

Surely a guy that size, that floats in the air, reads the incoming ball and takes d50 intercept grabs doesn't slide past even our first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare currently has us grabbing Leek Aleer with #32 in his mock draft.

Surely a guy that size, that floats in the air, reads the incoming ball and takes d50 intercept grabs doesn't slide past even our first pick.

Mature agers rarely go first round historically so #32 is a real chance.
Then again this draft lacks depth in talls so that might convince a team to take him early.

I wish someone would define "competitive"..."contending"... its sounds to me like an evel knievel jump and falling 3 busses short.

Contending or competitiveness ..is a euphemism for being the bridesmaid..and never the bride. It like being invited to the wedding , turning up and watching someone else get married, and then get married, and then get married. Time after time of watching someone else having their great day.

Sure its great get a meal , listen to the music and get a new dress. Our last decade is like the movie 27 dresses.

My opinion... No club just wants to just be competitive. They want to be loaded to smash all opposition. Id say melb supporters this year had a very enjoyable "competitive" finals series and not one game was competitive.

Unless something very unusual happens we will watch someone else get married this year. I cant see how we jump 4-6 other sides for us to be REALLY competitive..in the sense that we use the other side as the stage prop.

If you like being humiliated, then sure. I find it much more enjoyable when we are competitive, and not road kill.
What was your view on the Doggies’ season? Seeing as they were humiliated too.

What was your view on the Doggies’ season? Seeing as they were humiliated too.

Fair question. Melb were on a rampage no doubt...

..but the Dogs won 3 finals and got hurt in the last...and Im sure if that had happened to them as often as it has to us over our history then they may look at it differently. They would not want three GF's like that in a row...but as it stands what was that ..the third ever GF?

Add to that last year and this year two kids that are so early talent picks to come in..id say they would see it a bit like WCoast in 91., or North in 74 and probably hope to be winning 2 GF's in the next three years.

I can see a Haw Ess type era. for both clubs. Injuries aside.. both should be serious players in the next 5 finals series.

Leek looks like a one trick pony. If has no marking what can he be for us? Another sav type ute ruck?

His marking is fantastic. Its his kicking that is the issue. Clubs will be looking at him as a tall intercept marker (lever type role).

Leek looks like a one trick pony. If has no marking what can he be for us? Another sav type ute ruck?
I’d love to see a comparison to Aliir Aliir before he was drafted, albeit a year or two younger Aliir. Very similar traits and game styles. Aliir only pick 44, and Sydney never completely sold on him up until they moved him on. Was good this year for Port. Might be a decent chance of making it Leek with some further training.

For anyone that's interested, I'm starting a mock draft, given most other boards are doing it too. Simply select the team you want and I'll assign it to you (first in best dressed) :)

Hope to see you guys over there!

hocking is an idiot
we have a decade and a half of success almost 2 decades, and one could argue an injury or two would have doubled the premiership haul
if he wants to run a club through carlton like turmoil so be it
but there is no reason to look at those models and envy them

clark constanble are simply not good enough
cocky was a reach and backfired - throw lever into our defensive setup and its beyond elite
He is anything but an idiot. Most supporters would think his ideas sound very balanced. An eye on now, and an eye on tomorrow, as it should be after this. sustained period of "success" that we have experienced.

The after the siren winning goal from 2E at KP in front of a large home crowd was really exciting. Who here wanted him to miss so that we could drop a rung or two? Do people really want to cheer on defeats? I want my team to win every game.
Remember that game vividly- was in India working and having a break, and listening on the internet. Trying to imagine how great it was . The commentators on KRock kind of predicted the ultimate result which was even better.

Last edited:
You mean the same dogs that won 3 finals, and just ended up getting over run in the 4th?

We celebrate winning one final and being absolutely rogered in the other 2 lol.
Same result

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back