List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
You can't blame the intern who grabbed the jumper for expecting us to draft the tallest player available with our first rounder. How were they supposed to know?

Yeah I mean how were they supposed to know that this guy had died and wouldn't be in the draft

1638087406266.png

Attachments

• 1638087404511.png
    1638087404511.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
I was just joking about the intern. What actually happened is that it'd been so long since we were involved in the first night, we forgot to have a jumper ready. Fortunately it turns out Stewart Dew is secretly a huge Eagles fan and never travels without a jumper to sleep in, which he was happy to lend to us for the photo op.

For the board experts, how would you rank Elijah Hewitt as a talent??
I REALLY like what Ive seen of him thus far (which isn't that much)

We are due for a generational midfielder ;)
He is extremely focussed, tough yet skilled. He plays thru the whistle at times - just ask Angus as good copped it when Swans v Claremont and Scotch v Christchurch

He is a dedicated trainer - does more in the gym that most, extra running after training etc.

He grew up in the hills and went to Guildford initially and played tough football in the midland and Swans juniors. Family moved to western suburbs and he now attends Scotch but wanted to stay loyal to Swans. He was one of the reasons Scotch won the Alcock Cup

He represents everything I want in an inside mid and yet the Pieman would probably pass over and go for a more skilled injury prone outside player that excelled in junior football.

He has 12 months development to go but I would gladly give up our F1 and F2 to get him now. I am as keen on him as Darkshark was to Angus.

Okay, point taken. But a team needs a certain amount of Viney-ness in it. I'm not suggesting that brute physicality is the pre-eminent quality to look for in draftees. I'm suggesting that when it's needed, maybe it actually needs to be drafted for, just like speed and skill.

The constant overlooking of particular types of players suggests to me a belief within the club that ball-winning is a game that can be out-smarted.

Surely you can see that there was more to my post than your reply would indicate. And I am optimistic about Chesser and Hough in that regard - what's your view on that part of the post?

I accept my reply was a little flippant. You asked a valid question & deserved a better answer so apologies for that l.
The general thoughts are those players who's tackling are their 1 wood, lack a little in other footballing attributes. Generally they lack pace & often don't have great foot skills. So there is a place for those in a team but not too many.
It is my personal view that current WC players have the tackling skill to be successful, but the way they have been instructed to play (game plan) doesn't encourage them to exercise this skill.

Please tell me a WC player whom you think has average (or worse) tackling skills.

Could Dittmarr be our SPP if the train on rumour is true. Talk was we where interested in trading for SPP but Dittmarr brings a lot of the same attributes & if we give him a spot it would have cost us nothing.

Have to wonder if Port traded a future 2nd and half expect that back in a trade for SPP next season when out of contract.

2023 round 1 Clark, Yeo and SPP.

At least we would have our inside bull debate out to bed if that happened.

daria-volleyball.gif

Daria and a volleyball demonstrate Sheed's tackling technique.

I accept my reply was a little flippant. You asked a valid question & deserved a better answer so apologies for that l.
The general thoughts are those players who's tackling are their 1 wood, lack a little in other footballing attributes. Generally they lack pace & often don't have great foot skills. So there is a place for those in a team but not too many.
It is my personal view that current WC players have the tackling skill to be successful, but the way they have been instructed to play (game plan) doesn't encourage them to exercise this skill.

Please tell me a WC player whom you think has average (or worse) tackling skills.

It’s odd because Simmo in nearly all press conferences talked about lack of pressure and work rate. Did simmo lose confidence that assistants knew what they were doing?

Certainly O’Neill lacks the pressure component. Amount there were a few times a separate player ran past him to lay a tackle. That’s embarrassing. He won’t make it.

I also think there are many too comfortable with their role. Sheedy used to sacrifice a good player to keep everyone on toes. We give credits instead.

Go back and read my post Obeanie, I projected Erasmus’ ability to play football on the basis of his ability to respond to an e-mail. Bit of a tongue in cheek giveaway I would think. Oh, and don’t forget the bit where I say this is a bit of a revisionist approach to my actual views.

But, sure, ignoring all of that as well as the rest of my post, the poster I responded to should continue to tell me how good the Dockers did in the draft. Thanks for correcting me. 🍻💩😭🤷‍♂️

Wasnt really directed at you. Farfrom it actually. :thumbsu:

Someone mentioned a 95 % 5 % ratio or some such which left no room anywhere for the throng of glass half empty negativity and complaigning some are very consistent with on here claiming tongue in cheek as a defense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s odd because Simmo in nearly all press conferences talked about lack of pressure and work rate. Did simmo lose confidence that assistants knew what they were doing?

Certainly O’Neill lacks the pressure component. Amount there were a few times a separate player ran past him to lay a tackle. That’s embarrassing. He won’t make it.

I also think there are many too comfortable with their role. Sheedy used to sacrifice a good player to keep everyone on toes. We give credits instead.
Or did the players and assistant’s lose confidence in Simmo?
It will be interesting as always to see how the year plays out.
I watch the entire 1st evening of the draft on Foxtel, Simpson sat with the draft team for the 1st half of it and every time the camera moved to the WC camp they looked miserable, Simpson was nowhere to be seen for the 2nd half of the draft and after that every time the camera crossed to the WC camp everyone was happy/smiling etc.
As far as I’m concerned if we are setting records for the lowest tackle counts, the buck stops with the head coach, it means the boys aren’t buying in.

I watch the entire 1st evening of the draft on Foxtel, Simpson sat with the draft team for the 1st half of it and every time the camera moved to the WC camp they looked miserable, Simpson was nowhere to be seen for the 2nd half of the draft and after that every time the camera crossed to the WC camp everyone was happy/smiling etc.
As far as I’m concerned if we are setting records for the lowest tackle counts, the buck stops with the head coach, it means the boys aren’t buying in.

Or our game plan has been set up to use our strengths and protect us as much as possible from exposing a current weakness. And that in turn equates to low tackle numbers. Quality of player availability also a major factor.

As for draft night after we took our pick what was Simo really there for him to see or do?

And for being serious and focused with the boss in the room at the moment leading up to trading down our best pick in a decade and then selecting the guy you spent 2-3 years following! Nothing strange about that. And then after when we landed a future 2nd plus the player we wanted we look happy. Absolutely nothing strange about that either. The boss leaves after saying well done boys, the team to relax and focus on the next day.

Dom sheed

We all know tackling (and all round pressure and contested play) has been abysmal for years. Including 2018 until the purple patch in September. But I will reserve judgement as to whether it's cattle or gameplan until we see what happens in 2022.

Simmo, Schofield and Knights vs lazy campaigners coasting on 2018.

FIGHT!!!

Yeah not overthinking it at all, are you?

Maybe they were happy because they finally called out a tall and that relief and comfort zone brought immense pleasure. They were miserable because simmo demanded midfielders and with him gone, they could do what they want!

“F-u simmo, we are drafting a tall”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back