Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s not actually true through. Witts is reasonable once the ruck contest is fought and gets his hands dirty. He also gets decent disposal numbers for a ruck.

Not the Gawn type marking option, but when you pull in 50+ taps most weeks, you can be forgiven.

Like I said, Swee needs more strings to his bow to find a long term role in our side. That’s just how our teams make up works. Even more so now that English has stepped up.

If it was up to me, now that Sweet has made progress, I’d play him as No 1 and English number two. Until we bring someone else in. That’s not going to happen though.
I don't see a long term spot in the sure for him once Bruce is healthy and capable of being a chop out. But his work in the contest and tackling is enough for me at this stage.

I don't see much point of a ruck getting cheap uncontested possessions when it's almost always better in the hands of any other player on the field. As long as he isn't allowing his opponent to take contested grabs down the line and he's nailing tackles in the contest then he's doing fine.

Just hope they keep him above Martin in the pecking order and above Cordy as 2nd ruck

Also, I thought today was the best our forward line functioned all year.

McNeil or West when Weightman comes back?
There's room for all 3. Scott/McComb could go out to make room. McNeil has been playing wing and West is very capable further up. Both ahead of VDM now

Interesting to see if Duryea comes back in. Would like him down back and Caleb higher but not sure they'll do it

I thought Sweet and particularly West were great contributors, not sure how you could say they weren't
I don't think I said that. Are they best 22? I don't think so. Did they contribute meaningfully today? For the most part. I would have selected them both today and been happy enough with their performances. But they'll both be squeezed, IMO, if/when the cavalry arrive (English, Bruce, Hunter, Weightman, McLean, JJ, VDM(?), Duryea, Hannan).

Last edited:
Richards is a star

I told you all! He put in the early hard yards down at the WO before training started.

Aziz Ansari Tom GIF by Parks and Recreation

Our first priority should always be to give our mids the best opportunity to dominate the game. And with the 6-6-6 rule centre clearances are more important than ever.

For me thats picking 2 rucks to make sure at all times we negate (as much as possible) any ability for opposition rucks to dominate.

50/50 spilt for English/Sweet.

I don't disagree tbh. Was very impressed with Sweet's effort today. Got unlucky with a few umpire calls.
Yeah he was very good, stats wise obviously didn’t do much but I really think it shows how dominant our midfield can be with a proper ruck in there. It’s not even what we get from Sweet though for me, I really think it takes English to a new level just letting him focus on doing what he does best - why waste him grinding around the ground which is not his strong suit when we can use him to his strengths, sit him behind the bal ahead of the ball, up at the contest whatever, but don’t waste him in the ruck contest.

And all we lose is the run of a very very average runner like a Scott, McComb whoever, I don’t think it’s a big loss personally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see a long term spot in the sure for him once Bruce is healthy and capable of being a chop out. But his work in the contest and tackling is enough for me at this stage.

I don't see much point of a ruck getting cheap uncontested possessions when it's almost always better in the hands of any other player on the field. As long as he isn't allowing his opponent to take contested grabs down the line and he's nailing tackles in the contest then he's doing fine.

Just hope they keep him above Martin in the pecking order and above Cordy as 2nd ruck

I don’t agree on the cheap disposal call. A ruck that gets involved away from the contest is far more beneficial for a side than one that doesn’t. One that also takes marks more so again.

Agree he’s ahead of Martin. That’s only a recent occurrence though.

Sweets numbers were all round pretty good last week and suspect his lack of input away from the ruck contest this week may have been instructional to ensure Witts was accounted for throughout the whole game.

He’s definitely improving. Hopefully next week we see a couple of grabs and maybe even a s**t at goal to go with his good ruck work.

Surely Sweet can play the 2nd ruck/ forward role better than Cordy? Cordy had 3 disposals and 1 mark. What would we gain playing him in that role over Sweet?
Exactly! Bevo doesn't rate Sweet's contributions but he'll play Cordy instead of him...

200.gif

This board will be a very interesting place if sweet gets dropped for english
I think DWs observation is about the mark. No point exhausting Timmy when he gets back so Sweet likely plays next week and possibly the week after....then the bye. Who knows how it goes after that.

Our first priority should always be to give our mids the best opportunity to dominate the game. And with the 6-6-6 rule centre clearances are more important than ever.

For me thats picking 2 rucks to make sure at all times we negate (as much as possible) any ability for opposition rucks to dominate.

50/50 spilt for English/Sweet.
Tim English gives this the thumbs down. Makes perfect sense though.

I know it belongs in media thread, but I'm posting here. Sometimes I wonder if these journalists even watch the game. Unless I'm blind, Richards didn't get a mention or vote!:

AFL Round 10 Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast: All the news, action and fallout from Ballarat​

Gold Coast surged home in Ballarat when the game appeared done and dusted. That was until Marcus Bontempelli went to another level.

Dylan Bolsch

3 min read
May 21, 2022 - 4:34PM

A Marcus Bontempelli masterclass saw the Bulldogs strike gold in Ballarat, defeating the Suns by 19 points to level their season record at five wins and five losses to keep in touch with the top eight.
However, the Gold Coast Suns lost no admirers with another gutsy performance against a far more experienced and polished outfit.
The unlikely duo of Joel Jeffrey (five goals) and Ben Ainsworth (three goals) combined for eight goals for the Suns, who have shaken the tag of easy beats this season.
The Suns were ranked number one for clearances across the past month, but were no match for a star-studded Bulldogs midfield, who won the clearance battle 49-35.

[PLAYERCARD]Marcus Bontempelli[/PLAYERCARD] slotted three goals for the Bulldogs. Picture: Martin Keep/Getty Images

Marcus Bontempelli slotted three goals for the Bulldogs. Picture: Martin Keep/Getty Images
Both sides were unwilling to give up possession early in the game and tried to build forward forays through uncontested marking.
It took eight minutes for the first goal of the contest, with Aaron Naughton the beneficiary of a powerful burst out of stoppage from Bailey Smith.
Naughton was the best player on the field in the first half, booting three majors and making Sam Collins and Rory Thompson look like amateurs.
Smith is quickly becoming one of the most impactful players in the game and was at his best producing a 34-disposal performance.
With Tim English ruled out through illness, the Dogs turned to rookie ruck Jordon Sweet to take the number one ruck mantle and he fought valiantly all day against the in-form Jarrod Witts.
Lachie McNeil (two goals) had some nice moments forward whilst the Dogs midfielders produced the goods yet again, with Bontempelli, Dunkley and Treloar all hitting the scoreboard.

An incident involving Buku Khamis and Jy Farrar will come under scrutiny from the MRO after Khamis’ raised forearm struck Farrar in the back of the head during a marking contest.
It felt as though the Suns were clinging on for dear life in the second term, as they struggled to get their hands on the footy and were often a step behind their Bulldogs counterparts.
Approximately half of the Suns players did not have a disposal between quarter time and halfway through the second term, but the players responded with Stuart Dew’s troops wrestling the momentum back from the Dogs to keep themselves in the contest.
Mabior Chol produced a moment for the highlights reel late in the game when he gathered a loose ball, performed a ‘don’t argue’ and bounced it over a Dogs defender to reduce the margin to just 15 points.
Chol had kicked eight goals in three games in the lead-up to the contest but struggled to assert himself in Ballarat.
Whilst Naughton got the better of Collins in the first half, Collins showed why he is one of the most underrated key defenders in the game by bouncing back to restrict the key Dog to just six second-half disposals.
The Western Bulldogs looked as though they would pull away in the third quarter, but the Suns refused to bow, resulting in a tense final quarter which saw the margin cut back to just seven points at one stage.
The see-sawing battle was one of the games of the season and both sides will take positives out of an entertaining battle in regional Victoria.

HEARTBREAK FOR LUCKLESS SUN

Gold Coast defender Rory Thompson will be set for another stint on the sidelines after suffering yet another knee injury.
Thompson left the field midway through the second term and failed to take any further part in the match.
The big Sun spent an astonishing 1379 days on the sidelines, recovering from two ACL reconstructions before making his return earlier this month against Sydney.

MILESTONE MAN

Adam Treloar suited up for his 200th AFL match and stamped his authority on the game right from the get-go.
Treloar amassed 26 possessions and booted a goal, where his teammates swamped him as though he was a debutant kicking his first in the big time.
Ahead of the match, Treloar said he was most looking forward to running out alongside his daughter, Georgie.
“That will probably be my proudest moment,” he said.
The former Giant and Pie is one of the most universally loved players in the competition and looms as a key factor in the Bulldogs push up the ladder in the second half of the season.
[PLAYERCARD]Adam Treloar[/PLAYERCARD] was swamped by teammates after kicking a goal in his milestone match. Picture: Martin Keep/Getty Images

Adam Treloar was swamped by teammates after kicking a goal in his milestone match. Picture: Martin Keep/Getty Images

NEW ROLE FOR DASHING DOG?

Having been known as a dashing defender throughout his AFL career to date, Bailey Williams took the opportunity to creep forward in a role higher up the ground against the Suns.
Williams kicked his first major since Round 16 last year and had five shots on goal as his piercing kick proved an asset for the Dogs going inside forward 50.
He finished with 18 possessions and kicked the goal to seal the game.

SCOREBOARD​

BULLDOGS 4.5 6.12 10.15 15.16 106
SUNS 3.3 6.5 9.7 13.9 87
BOLCH’S BEST
BULLDOGS:
Bontempelli, B. Smith, Macrae, Naughton, Treloar, Williams
SUNS: Jeffrey, Ainsworth, Swallow, Anderson
GOALS
BULLDOGS:
Naughton 3, Bontempelli 3, McNeil 2, Williams 2, McComb 2, Dunkley, Treloar, B. Smith
SUNS: Jeffrey 5, Ainsworth 3, Chol, Rankine, Ellis, Farrar, Rosas
INJURIES
BULLDOGS:
nil.
SUNS: Thompson (knee), Farrar (head).
UMPIRES Whetton, Stevic, Pell.
VENUE Mars Stadium, Ballarat.
PLAYER OF THE YEAR
DYLAN BOLCH’S VOTES

3 M. Bontempelli (WB)
2 J. Jeffrey (GC)
1 B. Smith (WB)

Yeah he was very good, stats wise obviously didn’t do much but I really think it shows how dominant our midfield can be with a proper ruck in there. It’s not even what we get from Sweet though for me, I really think it takes English to a new level just letting him focus on doing what he does best - why waste him grinding around the ground which is not his strong suit when we can use him to his strengths, sit him behind the bal ahead of the ball, up at the contest whatever, but don’t waste him in the ruck contest.

And all we lose is the run of a very very average runner like a Scott, McComb whoever, I don’t think it’s a big loss personally
One reason might be that he WANTS to be the #1 ruck … and even hinted he might leave if he wasn’t given that role.

We should have absolutely belted them, never should have been that close. Unfortunately we just keep on doing it to ourselves by being incapable of converting. I mean it didn't help that the umpires picked out three holding frees against us in three separate inside 50s in a row and the Suns were just fluking goals out of nowhere.

It’s called their arse not nowhere

underrated win, GC were good,

Sweet had a really good first half, Witts took both he and Cordy to the cleaners in the second half and nearly dragged GC over the line. thankfully we had Bont.

generally speaking we got good value from our bottom players, but it wont be like that consistently, we need some cattle back to replace some of McComb, McNeil (kicking is terrible, the 2 set shots were flukes), scott, Buku. id persist with West and Cleary as my bottom players.

on the fence with TOB, does some dumb things

FTQ0dg7UEAAazEC

Apart from Richard's brilliance, I thought our backline was a bit disjointed today. There was a lack of cohesion between talls and smalls on several occasions.
Daniel found it hard to match opponents for pace and is missing a few tackles that should stick. Perhaps the next contract will be more modest than he might have expected.
Buku didn't look like taking a clean mark today, he needs to learn to lead more often and not compete with Naughts for high balls.
Best body work I've seen from McNeil today, often crashed in to pressure opponents.
McComb and Scott played their usual cameos but both could soon be under pressure to hold their spots.
Sweet made a good contest in the ruck but knowing how our match committee thinks, it's unlikely he will stay in when English returns.
All in all, it was a real struggle to shake off GC and I'm happy for the 4 points.

Last edited:
To me the only real justification to select just the one ruck would be if we had 3 dangerous marking targets up forward. The cost in the ruck has to be outweighed by a 3rd tall taking marks and kicking goals.

Cordy's 5 disposals, 6 hitouts and 1 mark dont do enough. Particularly when Khamis provides more scoreboard output (or at very least the potential to do so) than Cordy.

Surely Sweet can play the 2nd ruck/ forward role better than Cordy? Cordy had 3 disposals and 1 mark. What would we gain playing him in that role over Sweet?
I actually thought Sweet was pretty good in terms of ground level effort. Zaine is more agile sure but he’s not exactly racking up touches. Would definitely prefer Sweet as second ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back