Toast Fremantle's 2nd 2016 National Draft Pick: Sean Darcy [Pick #38]

Remove this Banner Ad

Brodie Grundy is a good example, he showed that if you average 20 touches a game, have twenty shots at goal all year and take one mark per quarter that you'll win All Australian. You also need to average about 40 hitouts per game and be selected in over half of all AFL Fantasy sides.

Sean Darcy needs to add one touch per quarter, 12 hitouts per game and force his way into everyone's AFL Fantasy side.

It was a while ago now but I remember realizing Sean could become a great player the day he took on Ryder and Lycett in the final quarter against Port and won the day for us.

He has steadily built his fitness up and is improving all the time. We are lucky to have a ruckman of his quality to build a team around.

Excuse me folks.

Has anyone explored the relationship between a player's buddy and their performance during that year of "buddyship"?

I'll just leave it there, but I think this might provide some insight into Sean's coming of age this year.

You're welcome.

Excuse me folks.

Has anyone explored the relationship between a player's buddy and their performance during that year of "buddyship"?

I'll just leave it there, but I think this might provide some insight into Sean's coming of age this year.

You're welcome.
Can you buddy Sam Sturt 2022 pls and thank you.

It was a while ago now but I remember realizing Sean could become a great player the day he took on Ryder and Lycett in the final quarter against Port and won the day for us.
His debut against the Cats did it for me

He was showing great signs at WAFL but he instantly made an impression on AFL, you don't do that as a ruck unless you have what it takes

His debut against the Cats did it for me

He was showing great signs at WAFL but he instantly made an impression on AFL, you don't do that as a ruck unless you have what it takes
The 55m bomb against Subiaco in the finals and subsequent ‘shh’ celebration was the beginning.

He has steadily built his fitness up and is improving all the time. We are lucky to have a ruckman of his quality to build a team around.
I was at that game. He went bloody hard right until the end

Add to that, the last two years he's gone off and trained with the midfield group in the off season. (Bray, Serong, Tucker, he-who-shall-not-be-named etc.)
Even trying to keep up with those boys shows his desire to improve and get fitter.
Wouldn't surprise if he's captain one day. Just thinking about our future leadership group is tasty

FXS_i1IaMAEhy2B

AFL Player Ratings now has Sean as a top 10 player and the best ruck in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I reading that right? Darcy is easily our best player and Brayshaw for example isn't in the top 25 but Nic Nat is?
Something about AFL player ratings doesn't gel with Brayshaw, he always rates lower than he should. They need to revise their formula to take better account of pressure acts IMO. Their current formula heavily favours involvement in scoring chains and heavily punishes turnovers and frees against.

I personally think Supercoach scores provide the best indication of who has played well.

Am I reading that right? Darcy is easily our best player and Brayshaw for example isn't in the top 25 but Nic Nat is?
AFL Ratings aren't a great system, never have been

They also specifically overrate rucks, they have rated Naitanui as the best player in the league before, its a joke

It weights scores highly because that's how you win, and rucks launch a lot of scores when they are effective with dominant clearance mids. Similarly half backs with intercept marks or ground ball wins that have gun wingers and half forwards lead to lots of scores too and they are rated higher for it.

I think Darcy is the score launch leader in the competition at the moment. If he added intercept marking in defense to his score launches from stoppages he would become the most damaging player in the league and belted in every marking and ruck contest they can.

It weights scores highly because that's how you win, and rucks launch a lot of scores when they are effective with dominant clearance mids. Similarly half backs with intercept marks or ground ball wins that have gun wingers and half forwards lead to lots of scores too and they are rated higher for it.

I think Darcy is the score launch leader in the competition at the moment. If he added intercept marking in defense to his score launches from stoppages he would become the most damaging player in the league and belted in every marking and ruck contest they can.
I'd imagine that within the next few years, Darcy is going to be the best stoppage player in the competition. He's so absurdly strong that he's basically untackleable / moveable so his lack of speed is mitigated a lot and he's surprisingly quick of thought / smart with his hands. When you combine that with his tapwork, you get a stoppage monster

I'd imagine that within the next few years, Darcy is going to be the best stoppage player in the competition. He's so absurdly strong that he's basically untackleable / moveable so his lack of speed is mitigated a lot and he's surprisingly quick of thought / smart with his hands. When you combine that with his tapwork, you get a stoppage monster

Depends, if the AFL follows the SANFL and avoids ruck contests when the ball goes over the boundary… enforcing a “last touched rule”, he’ll be pretty limited. His bread and butter is the throw in from the boundary.

Depends, if the AFL follows the SANFL and avoids ruck contests when the ball goes over the boundary… enforcing a “last touched rule”, he’ll be pretty limited. His bread and butter is the throw in from the boundary.
Why would they do that?

because the AFL is in love with changing the rules and are heavily linked to doing it
It’s almost that now & will be the next major rule change. There aren’t many kicked out currently without being touched that aren’t called deliberate or insufficient intent.
There’ll still be a few boundary throw ins though.

It’s almost that now & will be the next major rule change. There aren’t many kicked out currently without being touched that aren’t called deliberate or insufficient intent.
There’ll still be a few boundary throw ins though.
Yeah reading the template they are borrowing from SANFL it sounds like it will simply remove the deliberate interpretation but there will still be plenty of ball ins from spoiled marking contests (which is the main way the ball goes out of bounds)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back