Rumour GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists PT2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to keep everyone but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if we lost Ratugolea, Stephens and Menegola and replaced their spots on the list with Henry, Bowes and Bruhn.

Inevitable that clubs will come for some of our players now. Question is which one’s and who will be tempted?

The last thing Essendon need is an undersized mid to go with McGrath, Shiel, Parish and Merrett.

That's why I doubt they would select Jhye Clark.

would not surprise me if they took this kid. size and talent

ICL_EDT_2022_76557_Cals-Phantom-Form-Guide_September-Update_FA_6.jpg

186cm/86kg
11/9/04
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Forward/midfielder
August ranking: 7

The dynamic nature of Humphrey's game was on show early in Vic Country's loss to Vic Metro last week, when he played deep in attack and controlled the game with some strong marks, clever leads and goalkicking opportunities. He finished with 1.3 for the game, but had an influence on it in his first appearance for Vic Country after missing the mid-year championships game with a knee injury. Humphrey finished second in the NAB League's Morrish Medal after playing just 11 games. Another exciting, powerful forward/midfielder with some traits like Sydney's Isaac Heeney.

40hxXdLv.jpg

Bailey Humphrey in action for Gippsland Power in a NAB League Boys match against Northern Knights at Ikon Park. Picture: AFL Photos

Its probably good example of why traditionally you had to have multiple drafts to get it done. Just not the right players every year.

Where do you see that bronski beat kid going . Seems a nice size that could play back and forward. probably in the 20's.

You talking gruzewski? Hes been a late riser for sure.
Hes still very raw so hes a long term project but his ability to play both ends will appeal. Could go second round yes (this draft is hard to predict after the first 20).

I liked this comment on Ess board

Do you go to the Cats, who, as good as they've been to snag a flag, aren't really tipped to go at it for too long. A lot of pending retirements/drop-offs there. A team that's given away a lot of their draft picks in recent years and have relied on, albeit successfully, luring A grade players that have happened to be from Geelong or thereabouts...

Or,

You can look at Essendon, a team starting anew, high class facilities, retained their players despite low form, rejuvenated the careers of former teammates, a fresh Scott at the helm, having blooded a myriad of first round draft picks into the side and holding pick #4 to boot...
I hope for that poster's sanity that he's at least partly taking the piss.....

Philosophically i agree with you re kpd (not re kpf you still need to pick them very early) but our tactics will be interesting.
Bowes and bruhn sort out our mids for a while whereas we have a lot of kpp over 30 plus sav and neale both out of contract next year so we are going to need to bring in some talls soon (as they take time to develop).

So that would be another reason to split 7 (not saying we should but its possible) so we could take one mid and one tall in r1.

I suppose we could focus on the FA market for good talls but they are harder to get as there are less of them.
Will be fascinating to see how we manage the list.
Yeah absolutely. Id be hopeful the next couple of drafts we can get a decent key defender in the 2nd / 3rd round. Or via FA as you say.

There is always the option to get a mature age one from a state league late in the ND or via rookie draft too as this has been successful for some clubs.

As you say key gun key forwards tend to go early; its a shame Cadman won't be available by pick 7.

would not surprise me if they took this kid. size and talent

ICL_EDT_2022_76557_Cals-Phantom-Form-Guide_September-Update_FA_6.jpg

186cm/86kg
11/9/04
Gippsland Power/Vic Country
Forward/midfielder
August ranking: 7

The dynamic nature of Humphrey's game was on show early in Vic Country's loss to Vic Metro last week, when he played deep in attack and controlled the game with some strong marks, clever leads and goalkicking opportunities. He finished with 1.3 for the game, but had an influence on it in his first appearance for Vic Country after missing the mid-year championships game with a knee injury. Humphrey finished second in the NAB League's Morrish Medal after playing just 11 games. Another exciting, powerful forward/midfielder with some traits like Sydney's Isaac Heeney.

40hxXdLv.jpg

Bailey Humphrey in action for Gippsland Power in a NAB League Boys match against Northern Knights at Ikon Park. Picture: AFL Photos

I've currently got the Top 8 as:

North end up with 2 as part of the 3 way JHF trade with Port.

Pick 1: Ashcroft (North bid - Brisbane)
Pick 2: Wardlaw (North - JHF replacement)
Pick 3: Cadman (North)
Pick 4: Sheezel (GWS - Bobby Hill upgrade)
Pick 5: Humphreys (Essendon)
Pick 6: Keeler (GWS after trading with GC Pick 6 for Picks 12 and 15, with a Future 2nd we on trade from another club to GC for Bowes, coming back)
Pick 7: Tsatas (Hawthorn)
Pick 8: Jhye Clark (Geelong)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different player to them. McGrath is not even a mid. but I very happy for them to look elsewhere.

Clark.. No I do not see them selecting Clark either.
I imagine cooper stephens better get going quick smart over the pre season if we draft jye clark... Could easily surpass him from day one as he has not been very impressive

Last edited:
You talking gruzewski? Hes been a late riser for sure.
Hes still very raw so hes a long term project but his ability to play both ends will appeal. Could go second round yes (this draft is hard to predict after the first 20).

Assuming we now bring in Bowes, Bruhn and Henry, how many draft picks do you see us using this year?

Is this correct?

Outs - Selwood, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Williams, Narkle, Stevens, Evans (7)

Ins - Bowes, Bruhn, O.Henry, Atkins (elevated), Close (elevated)

Leaves 2 to be drafted? Pick 7 plus I’d assume an upgraded pick?

Best case for me - Clark and Weddle

I imagine cooper stephens better get going quick smart if we draft jye clark... Could easily surpass him from day one as he has not been very impressive

Mmm he seems the type to stick around, IMO. Geelong boy and we've shown a lot of faith in him. Former first round pick and shown some signs. Even if he didn't get much of a look in this year or next, I still think he'd play the long game given all the retirements on the horizon, IMO.

I hope you're right, and I certainly don't think Jack Bowes making strides in 2023 is outlandish by any means.

At the risk of getting my mate Pure_Ownage off side, I've always had reservations in relation to Menegola - not saying he hasn't played some good footy with us (and his strong 2020 GF nearly tipped me over into finally becoming and advocate/believer), but the tenability of Menegola's position on the list isn't something that really gives me much pause.... if anything I'm wondering where the acquisition of Bowes leaves Cooper Stephens ...

It's funny, ''inside mid'' is often roughly equatable with a certain hard-nosed ruggedness, and I don't exactly see Bowes like that (like I've mentioned to you Turbo; I usually saw Bowes played as a defender when at the Suns) - but then again, I'm not sure those types of uncompromising adjectives spring to mind when talking about Cam Guthrie (who I find an admirable exponent).

I'm more than willing to give Jack Bowes the benefit of the doubt and time to grow into his preferred role.

#7 at the ND is a very exciting outcome and captures the imagination, but Bowes ('steak knives' as one poster would have it) could well ultimately outperform whoever we draft @ #7.

Great outcome today, worst case scenario Bowes is '''just'' handy depth and we fluff the #7 selection - but we've potentially gone some way to further rejuvenating the list in the exact way that trade week should.

I think your being a bit hard on Sam Menengola - he is the unlucky Geelong player in this premiership without a doubt

If he had been sub( and he was most likely the next in line ) - and for sake of the arguement - say Guthrie does his hamstring at 3qtr time

Then in my opinion Sam M would have had an absolute picnic in that last qtr - in my opinion 10-12 possessions and maybe a couple of goals - because he racks up the possessions - is a thumping kick - and kicks goals

Mmm he seems the type to stick around, IMO. Geelong boy and we've shown a lot of faith in him. Former first round pick and shown some signs. Even if he didn't get much of a look in this year or next, I still think he'd play the long game given all the retirements on the horizon, IMO.
Sorry edited it to make it clear i am referencing his pre season, not leaving the club.

I think your being a bit hard on Sam Menengola - he is the unlucky Geelong player in this premiership without a doubt

If he had been sub( and he was most likely the next in line ) - and for sake of the arguement - say Guthrie does his hamstring at 3qtr time

Then in my opinion Sam M would have had an absolute picnic in that last qtr - in my opinion 10-12 possessions and maybe a couple of goals - because he racks up the possessions - is a thumping kick - and kicks goals

I agree that was the type of games he would have been very good in. He kicked a couple in 2020 didnt he? I thought he lost 5m last year but that could be simply injury related but still nothing stands still.. will he been in our best 30 next year. Yes..so he will prbably get games in the rotation but by years end id think if everyone is fit it will be tough for him. Smith is so durable and Holmes is so good.

That's fair.

There are aspects of his play that I really like, you've listed most of them Goggin.

He's definitely unlucky; been a good servant of the club.

Gut feel is Henry deal wont get done without 7 being involved one way or another as much as I'd like to keep it, Pies well within their rights to play hard ball.
He is not worth pick 7 in any world so he stays.

I can see us being nice with a sweetener, something like our first rounder (19) + R2 pick, but that would be it

Did you see some of the scores in those highlights...and the unbridled joy at winning a game. We forget what its like for some players at some clubs. It would not surprise me at all that success was a key part of why chose geelong. He will get good money where ever he plays but Hawks and the Dons will struggle for a couple of years.
Even cripps was like the best part of this year was actually winning some games🤣

Assuming we now bring in Bowes, Bruhn and Henry, how many draft picks do you see us using this year?

Is this correct?

Outs - Selwood, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Williams, Narkle, Stevens, Evans (7)

Ins - Bowes, Bruhn, O.Henry, Atkins (elevated), Close (elevated)

Leaves 2 to be drafted? Pick 7 plus I’d assume an upgraded pick?

Best case for me - Clark and Weddle
I think we may use our mid range picks either trading into next year or upgrading picks to satisfy the Henry or Bruhn trades.
Might pick up Clohesy with a late pick. Clark and Clohesy would be a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back