1st Test New Zealand v Australia Feb 29-Mar 4 0830hrs @ the Basin Reserve

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i can see the point tbh.

Obviously Warne is the superior spinner and McGrath the best quick but Lee Gillespie and Clark are probably behind haze and Cummins.
Cummins would be picked instead of Lee while picking a team. Haze and Gillespie are on the same level and could go either way.

Starc and Lyon don’t get picked. Macgill was every bit the quality of Lyon just stuck behind Warne.

The current quartet has played more matches together, so the only way it makes sense is if you are using that as your main qualifier rather than quality.

More even quartet and you’d have to make the main qualifier time playing together.

But Warne, McGrath, Lee and Gillespie was a much better quartet in terms of quality.
I'd take the McGrath/Warne/Gillespie/Lee quartet purely due to McGrath and Warne mainly.

Lee and Gillespie were no mugs, but the top end talent of McGrath and Warne is what get them over the line for me personally

Both similar types of bowlers in each quartet. Obviously a spinner, a consistent line and length bowler (McGrath and Hazlewood), a strike bowler (Lee and Starc) and I see similarities in the way Gillespie and Cummins bowl.

Williamson has nobody to blame but himself. It was his call, a risky single to get off the mark. Something I was taught in under 13s, you run to the bowler's side to avoid collision with your teammate. Like others, I don't think he would have made his ground regardless.

New Zealand are 21-3 trailing by 362.

"how should they play Lyon?"
"They should go the tonk"

From the great minds that developed bazball.

If that’s a reference to New Zealanders:

‘The great minds that developed bazzball’ have taken a side that features, at the moment 2, and when Harry Brook is there 3, batsmen who average over 40, two of them being Ben Duckett who is hardly going to end up in the pantheon of great openers, a best bowler who is 41 and not much else, a wicketkeeper (mostly) who couldn’t catch a cold, and gone from winning what, 1(?) test in 17-18 matches to winning 14 out of their last 20 or so.

Their tactical approach has made them competitive in Asia and has taken them from losing series to the West Indies to going 4 wins, 3 draws and a loss (in a country where the hosts have won 17 straight series) in their last 8.

Writing off a tactical suggestion because it comes from the same nation as the tactics which England’s tactics have come from seems somewhat stupid

At least Young and Mitchell are batting more sensibly now and forcing the Aussie bowlers to get them out rather than gifting their wickets.

Kiwis would be disappointed with not only day 1 but also 2

Day 1 went alright for us but Day 2 has been a shitshow so far for us.

If you put any two bowlers with them, I’m sorry but Scott Kremerskothen coming on at first change doesn’t magically become a superb bowler because he’s touching the same ball that McGrath did a few balls earlier

And how much heavy lifting do you think he has to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that’s a reference to New Zealanders:

‘The great minds that developed bazzball’ have taken a side that features, at the moment 2, and when Harry Brook is there 3, batsmen who average over 40, two of them being Ben Duckett who is hardly going to end up in the pantheon of great openers, a best bowler who is 41 and not much else, a wicketkeeper (mostly) who couldn’t catch a cold, and gone from winning what, 1(?) test in 17-18 matches to winning 14 out of their last 20 or so.

Their tactical approach has made them competitive in Asia and has taken them from losing series to the West Indies to going 4 wins, 3 draws and a loss (in a country where the hosts have won 17 straight series) in their last 8.

Writing off a tactical suggestion because it comes from the same nation as the tactics which England’s tactics have come from seems somewhat stupid

I'm writing off the tactical suggestion because it was stupid. This didn't need you to submit a small essay in response you insufferable bore.

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

Back