Toast Best Remembered Grand Final Goals of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie getting shitmixed by yeats and then pushing away the trainers and sticking his hand in the air to take the grab in the 89 GF

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Dermie getting shitmixed by yeats and then pushing away the trainers and sticking his hand in the air to take the grab in the 89 GF

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Yes…refusing to come off and spewing up his guts up while staggering back to the forwardline..then takes a courageous mark minutes later and nails the goal. Brilliant stuff.

Last edited:
As a Geelong supporter I always remember the goal Ablett Jnr kicked in 07. Port were kicking out from defense and Gaz intercepted the mark and goaled.

It was one of those moments along with the Brad Ottens tackle that even though we were early in the game you just knew the game was ours

Probably one of the most famous goals of all time was back in the 1964 grand final. With Melbourne trailing and time almost up, back pocket Neil Crompton, in desperation, ran to the forward line (in those days a cardinal sin for a defender) and somehow grabbed a loose ball and kicked the winning goal.

It was his only goal for the game.
It was his only goal for the seaon.
It was his first goal for 3 years.
He played 2 more seasons and did not kick another goal.

Here are the Goals that stand out for me in Eagles winning Grand Finals:
  • Peter Matera's bombs from outside 50m in 1992
  • Peter Wilson "like a cork in the ocean" in 1992
  • Hunter's goal after Chick's smother, handball and shepherd in 2006
  • Dom Sheed to win it in 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Radio calls of the 3 hot ones.

Note: watch for Gawn clearing space by shoving a bulldogs player straight in the chest and send him flying backwards to the ground during the Petracca banana bender goal. Brilliant work by the captain

Not to mention Kozzies block… sort of thing that goes unnoticed when people look at his stats for the night.

Glad to see Varcoe’s 2011 4th quarter goal being recognised in here. His gut running effort was amazing at that stage of the game and the composure to finish. Special mention to Duncan who ran with him all the way to provide a contest up forward which lead to the goal also.

We've had a couple but "Matera sets sail for home...and THE EAGLES hit the front" was a vintage moment, slots so easily into highlights packages. Norm Smith goals like that and Long tend to get recycled a lot too.

Overall, I do love the Long and Manassa goals, both good value. The Long one has the drama of the low clearance and SOS pleas.

Special mention to the Goodes goal that opened the 2006 Q4. That is very iconic to me, sent a chill down my spine and involved (then maligned) McVeigh in the center and (shocker game) Hall quick dish-off. Was all very quick and brought them within a kick of b2b. And Goodes' reaction then compared to his reaction after the siren was also heart-on-sleeve drama.

Last edited:
Bonts third would have been one to remember if the Dogs went on with it on Saturday night. I thought he'd broken the Dees spirit in that moment. Funny how things changed do suddenly.

Aside from Sheed, Matera's long bomb on the run in '92 is definitely the one Eagles GF goal I remember most, followed by Hunter in '06 after the Chick smother, handball, shepherd.

From a none Eagles perspective, whenever I think GF goals I picture Silvagni diving at the goal line and jumping up motioning touched, along with Gary Ablett's clean grab out of the ruck and goal in '89.

Aside from Sheed, Matera's long bomb on the run in '92 is definitely the one Eagles GF goal I remember most, followed by Hunter in '06 after the Chick smother, handball, shepherd.

From a none Eagles perspective, whenever I think GF goals I picture Silvagni diving at the goal line and jumping up motioning touched, along with Gary Ablett's clean grab out of the ruck and goal in '89.

Silvagni’s moment of jumping up and down like a 4 year and slumping in defeat as the goal umpire ignores his desperate appeal is a never ending source of mirth and merriment to all bomber fans.
Never gets old 😊

Last edited:
Watched over 40 grand finals now so try to think of a few in order.
Phil Manassa in 77. First game of football I ever watched.
78 Peter Knights athletic mark and running goal. God he was good to watch.
79 Kenny Sheldon goal after Harmesy chased down his own kick off side of boot in wet and smashed it back with his fist to running Sheldon for goal.
80 Kevin Bartlett on boundary line for goal number 7 and carrying on like a pork chop.
81 Wayne Harmes moved to centre from backline and takes mark of day in centre then runs on and pumps a 60 metre goal straight through.
82 Dominator kicks opening goal about 20 seconds into the grand final after having been suspended for previous two finals after whacking a Hawks in Qualifying Final. Like a caged lion let loose. Such a adrenalin pumping start to a grand final.
83 struggle to remember a specific goal. I am thinking of a Leigh Matthews goal but because Essendon and Hawk played in three grand finals in a row, I could be thinking of a goal from wrong year. Not a grand final I re-visited much so struggle big time with this game.
84 This one is easy. Leon Baker sublime blind turn in pulsating last quarter and Essendon come from behind to beat Hawks and get their first flag in two decades.
85.. Essendon kicked 11 goals in last quarter. Think of one by Mark Harvey with his bleached hair. Like 1983 grand final, this is one I not re-visit much as 1984 grand final is just so much better compared to their grand finals either side of it.
86 Sorry, cannot remember, blocked from most of memory. First grand final I went to in person. A blur in my memory and not really sure I watched it since.
87 Mark Naley running goal to kick one of the sealers over the Hawks and get revenge for year before.
88 Sorry, do not remember. 16 goal margin so very forgettable and never had any reason to watch since.
89 Cameron goal for Geelong late in game was about only time the match briefly seemed like Cats had slight chance.
90 Daicos goal on boundary line
91 Hudson sealer at Waverley.
92 Matera running goal
93 Calthorpe goal after roving to Justin Madden from centre
94 Wilson for Eagles kicked one over his head but honestly could be 92, Blur of memory.
95 Earl Spalding running goal from centre half forward for tall guy.
96 Struggle to remember a specific goal. Damn
97 Jarman goal number 5 in last quarter. Had it on a string.
98 Struggle to remember anything but North kicking heaps of points and blowing the game.
99 Went to it but not remember much. Probably not watched it since so probably why do not recall a specific goal
2000 Vaguely recall some Long goal whilst some fights going on.
2001 Think there a nice running goal by Black but could be thinking of any of next two grand finals.
2002 Akermanis snap in last quarter in tight finish
2003 Lynch goal and mocking some Colliwooble hack Rhyce Shaw
2004 Vaguely recall Byron Pickett goal that kind of sealer. Was at game but for some reason I remember Mark Williams more going down aisle next to me pulling at his tie in choking fashion.
2005 Buchanan goal
2006 same probably as 83 to 85 grand finals and 92 and 94 grand finals. I confused what year or what goal.
Remember matches a slug fest but goals not much of memory.
2007 So many goals but none stand out.
2008 Fatty Stewie Dew goal as Cats copy North blueprint from 1998 grand final to kick point after point to blow what should have been theirs.
2009 Chapman goal. Like the wet grand final of 1979 with Sheldon this one is easy to remember
2010 I remember big mark by Goddard and goal but not much else.
2011 Strangely cannot think of one specific goal which strange as was close game and only 10 years ago
2012 Malceski goal. Was the sealer. Remember some nice Adam Goodes goals too.
2013 forgettable grand final. I remember Freo looking like white crap guernsey and game mostly dull to go with it but a specific goal does not come to mind.
2014, gets blurred with 2012 grand final and cannot think of one I can nail down to be a goal from 2014.
2015 Hodge goal when you just knew this was only goal to be a Hawk day
2016 Tom Boyd big goal.
2017 One of Lambert goals but not sure if I think of 2017 or 2019
2018 Dom Sheed at end from set shot at boundary line in closing minutes.
2019 Some Martin goal from maybe MCC half forward flank.
2020 deleted as was not a genuine grand final as length of games were not fair dinkum. I tuned into the game from time to time but do not remember anything of it now as care factor was almost zero.
2021 Opening goal by Petracca. Stop and turn and bang one stride forward off pivot from about 50 metres out. Leigh Matthews like is what it made me think. So much strength in torso.

Having now gone through all of grand finals can remember I think for my own club it would be Kenny Sheldon goal after Harmesy brilliant goal assist in the mud and wet. The Marcou sealer in 1982 I also remember as Mark Maclure tapped it to him near boundary too like Harmesy did three years earlier. Opposite end of the G but it etched in my mind forever as it the moment I knew we had this great grand final won in 82.
But for all other grand finals with other teams the Leon Baker blind turn goal stands out above all others. Just completely sublime skill and it what you love about football and was in moment when game momentum changing dramatically so you can feel the pulse of the grand final result changing on a dime in that instant.

It gets missed by some who don't follow the game closely but Aussie Jones 5 bounce running goal in 1997 was pretty special. If we had won it would be talked about up there with the very best grand final goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back