List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause Howard, Cordy, Battle, Coffield, Paton, Wilkie means we lose Clark or Sinclair
Clark needs to put in a massive shift to even make the 22 at this stage and I'd hope to see Sinclair get serious midfield minutes...

With reference to the possible structure, I'd see something like -

Paton - Cordy - Wilkie
Battle - Howard - Coffield

Battle and Coffield can both play as intercept defenders, depending on a number of factors such as quality of opposition, direction of incoming ball etc...

I know he's coming back from an ACL, but Coff is no slouch, so he's also an option for picking up a resting mid

Anyway, just my 2 cents

Clark needs to put in a massive shift to even make the 22 at this stage and I'd hope to see Sinclair get serious midfield minutes...

Paton - Cordy - Wilkie

Battle and Coffield can both play as intercept defenders, depending on a number of factors such as quality of opposition, direction of incoming ball etc...

I know he's coming back from an ACL, but Coff is no slouch, so he's also an option for picking up a resting mid

Anyway, just my 2 cents
He's certainly no slouch, as long as he isn't being asked to man up on a key forward. I recall him being taken to the cleaners by Jack Darling at the end of 2020.

Paton - Cordy - Wilkie

Anyway, just my 2 cents
If you’re happy for Clark to not play then sure but I really like Clark somewhere in the team.

Sinclair mids yes but we have no run off the half Back line. Coffield is an interceptee not a run and carry type. Battle isn’t either. Hill back to the wing and Sinclair to the mids leaves us significantly slower

If you’re happy for Clark to not play then sure but I really like Clark somewhere in the team.

Sinclair mids yes but we have no run off the half Back line. Coffield is an interceptee not a run and carry type. Battle isn’t either. Hill back to the wing and Sinclair to the mids leaves us significantly slower
Not happy to see him out Eph. Just want to see more hunger from the young bloke.

RE: Coff - he's got wheels and was doing a fair bit of the run and dash stuff before he went down, so I'm hoping he can slowly begin to pick up where he left off.

About being slow off HB - do you mean leg speed or decision making? I think the latter is far more important fyi.

There is plenty of preseason to go and I'm sure I will change my opinion at least another 50 or so times. I can't wait to be honest.

Not happy to see him out Eph. Just want to see more hunger from the young bloke.

RE: Coff - he's got wheels and was doing a fair bit of the run and dash stuff before he went down, so I'm hoping he can slowly begin to pick up where he left off.

About being slow off HB - do you mean leg speed or decision making? I think the latter is far more important fyi.

There is plenty of preseason to go and I'm sure I will change my opinion at least another 50 or so times. I can't wait to be honest.
Leg speed and decision making I guess. Just seems that it worked for us eg. Sinclair was All Australian and involved in most of our best movement.

And most teams have the pacey half back with an attacking mindset these days.

Caleb Daniel, Daniel Rioli, Sinclair, Blakey, Salem, jiath,

Yeah agree it's a little odd no one picked him up, and again I still think it was a little odd that we signed Cordy when we already have a few similarly sized defenders. The only knock I've read about Ethan is his lack of closing speed, I just wonder whether teams are looking too much into what he can't do as opposed to what he can. He's a big fella after all. Anyway he's probably a lock for the SSP or the MSD once a team has an injury to a KPD so I reckon we still may see him at the top level next year.
There are question marks on his closing speed, it is said, that he will get caught out, with quicker oppo. forwards.

Probably glad we have an experienced option for full back if Howard gets injured.
Yeah I have to admit most of my posts regarding Cordy are tinged with doubt on how useful he'll be. I guess I'm just not enamoured with that choice, hope to be proven wrong of course. I'm surprised that most here seem to think he'll be best 22 and just slot straight in to the team. Can't see it personally, I think the only way he plays is if something bad has happened.

He's certainly no slouch, as long as he isn't being asked to man up on a key forward. I recall him being taken to the cleaners by Jack Darling at the end of 2020.
Spent time on key forwards in 2020 when Carlisle was out and at the start of 2021 as well we saw him on guys like Tom McDonald. Somehow Ratten thought that was good use of him. In a team that didn’t play with a spare defender as well. I constantly complained about it at the time, staggering stuff.

Yeah I have to admit most of my posts regarding Cordy are tinged with doubt on how useful he'll be. I guess I'm just not enamoured with that choice, hope to be proven wrong of course. I'm surprised that most here seem to think he'll be best 22 and just slot straight in to the team. Can't see it personally, I think the only way he plays is if something bad has happened.
I just view him as an upgrade on Joyce who cost us nothing which is why I don't mind the addition.

I'd be surprised if he is best 22 but after seeing how the backline fell apart once Howard got injured, having someone like him on the list could make a big difference to us staying competitive all season. Also, having an experienced defender to help the likes of Adams and Van Es develop is only going to help them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just view him as an upgrade on Joyce who cost us nothing which is why I don't mind the addition.

I'd be surprised if he is best 22 but after seeing how the backline fell apart once Howard got injured, having someone like him on the list could make a big difference to us staying competitive all season. Also, having an experienced defender to help the likes of Adams and Van Es develop is only going to help them.
It would also be nice to finally have a strong Sandringham side.

Thought I would add my comment that we have absolutely nailed this draft and in my view it's the best we have done in years.
We have continued from last year with a higher focus on youth, culminating now with a group of young players all with huge potential.
So pleased with what we have done in the last two drafts, in particular this one just gone.

Unfortunately, I really doubt Van Es plays senior footy this year
Just opinions, but fox footy disagrees

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
ST KILDA

Don’t be shocked if three of the Saints’ four national draftees are pushing for Round 1 selection come March. Top pick Mattaes Phillipou will no doubt be pushing hard for an early debut during the off-season. Injury curtailed the back-end of his 2022 campaign, but he tested well at the draft combine and has the confidence to make an early impression under Ross Lyon. James Van Es mightn’t be the best or most talented key back in this year’s draft class, but he could be the most Round 1-ready. He’s not only strong one-on-one and intercepting in the air, he’s also very athletic with a high leap. Then there’s one-touch, high-impact forward Olli Hotton, whose rapid rate of development in 2022 surprised recruiters. Should that growth momentum continue in his first Saints pre-season, he might be a Round 1 bolter. Isaac Keeler will spend most of the year in the VFL.

I really don't understand the carry on around Cordy

He's a 195cm defender that has played over 100 games and won a premiership

He replaces a 195cm player that played about 10 games

Bringing him in does not guarantee him a game. He cost us nothing. If he thrives at his new club then we can worry about pushing players around to fit him in, if not he's decent depth which we seriously lack.

Van Es and Adams won't be ready to go this year.

I really don't understand the carry on around Cordy

He's a 195cm defender that has played over 100 games and won a premiership

He replaces a 195cm player that played about 10 games

Bringing him in does not guarantee him a game. He cost us nothing. If he thrives at his new club then we can worry about pushing players around to fit him in, if not he's decent depth which we seriously lack.

Van Es and Adams won't be ready to go this year.
Think cordy is under the impression that he wasn't recruited as depth

Think cordy is under the impression that he wasn't recruited as depth
Maybe he is, and maybe he wasn't

But no one is guaranteed a game and we have enough options that if he is not performing then he's not going to get a game.

If he's not getting a game he becomes depth.

Either way our list has improved slightly

Hopefully 🤞

But probably still a little unlikely. Sam DeKoning only played one game in his 2nd year.
confused laura dern GIF by EditingAndLayout

Remove this Banner Ad

Back