2023 - A year of regression before the final ascent...

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker was still 19 years old all of last season.

Quite incredible when you think about it as it felt like he is 21-22.
Brutally honest.... I was surprised Brandon Walker played 10-12 games in a row in 2022 in his rookie year... I would of expected him to play 2-5 dockers games at most in 2022.

I am not knocking on him. I I think for a 1st year player, he has been very good. He eventually played in that finals win vs the dogs.

Most decent or experienced coaches that would of been on freos position on making finals, would of played an experienced small defender like Nathan Wilson over the younger Brandon Walker.

I know Ross Lyon would of if he was freos coach in that 2022 Elim final vs the dogs.

Last edited:
Brutally honest.... I was surprised Brandon Walker played 10-12 games in a row in 2022 in his rookie year... I would of expected him to play 2-5 dockers games at most in 2022.

I am not knocking on him. I I think for a 1st year player, he has been very good. He eventually played in that finals win vs the dogs.

Most decent or experienced coaches that would of been on freos position on making finals, would of played an experienced small defender like Nathan Wilson over the younger Brandon Walker.

I know Ross Lyon would of if he was freos coach in that 2012 Elim final vs the dogs.
Yeah no doubt Ross would have.

I like JL backed him in though. We wouldn't have learned anything with Wilson playing.

Brandon would have got an extra 20 games worth of experience playing in 2 finals.

It's up to him to keep building & learn from it and get better.

Yeah no doubt Ross would have.

I like JL backed him in though. We wouldn't have learned anything with Wilson playing.

Brandon would have got an extra 20 games worth of experience playing in 2 finals.

It's up to him to keep building & learn from it and get better.

Yeah Brandon Walker had the occasional Turnover.

He is quick though. I would of been shocked had he got games on a wing.

But Saying that If freo makes finals again in 2023. even if Freo gets 5th to 8th and plays only one final, I wont think its a Bad thing if Walker and Wilson both play 10-12 games each fighting for that 2nd back pocket spot. Ryan already has sealed one back pocket spot.

With Nathan Wilson and Brandon Walker fighting for the other one, both will work harder to keep their spot in the best 23. that has to be a good thing.

Is this a troll thread?!
We ain’t going backward unless there’s a Webber like injury list!
Fyfe taberner omeara Jackson amiss Erasmus back in to the team that played most of 22.
A hungry Hamling wilson Sturt Treacy Johnson Henry and co chomping at the bit to be part of the team.
Every year since 2016 we’ve suppose to go backwards and even with a war like medical room we never have.
FFFFRRRREEEEEEOOOOOOOO
FFFFFRRRREEEEEOOOOOOOO
I would be happy to just make finals in 2023, Dont care if we get 7th or 8th and get belted away from home in the 1st week of the finals in 2023.

So my prediction....

already made finals and won a final in 2022.

5th to 8th again in 2023.

Finish 10th-12th in 2024. Miss out on finals with injuries in the final 4-6 rounds to go.

Finals in 2025.

Contenders in 2026.

I would be happy to just make finals in 2023, Dont care if we get 7th or 8th and get belted away from home in the 1st week of the finals in 2023.

So my prediction....

already made finals and won a final in 2022.

5th to 8th again in 2023.

Finish 10th-12th in 2024. Miss out on finals with injuries in the final 4-6 rounds to go.

Finals in 2025.

Contenders in 2026.
Well this is depressing.

Well this is depressing.
you might think its depressing....

But lets be realistic and honest here.

If freo makes finals next season and wins the flag in 2023, that is a similar achievement to the hawks of 2008 or Dogs of 2016. A team that made finals one year then wins the flag the next year with a young squad, where most people predicted they won the flag 2-3 years ealier than expected.

Dont get me Wrong, Most dockers fans on here, me included would love to see a dockers flag in 2023.

But if you look at some Premiership sides in the last 20-25 years, its a slow gradual improvement of finals before the the ultimate prize.

Just looking at a few sides for example...

2004 Port side: finals in 1999, missed finals in 2000. Top 4 in 2001-4. Semi finals in 2001, prelims in 2002-3 then flag in 2004.

2006 Eagles side: Made 3 elim finals in 2002-4. Grand finals in 2005-6. Got that flag in 2006.

2007 cats side: made finals in 2000, slow rebuild from 2001-3. Made a prelim final in 2004, semi final in 2005, missed out on finals in 2006 then flag in 2007.

2017 Tigers: Like the 2006 eagles, a slow build up. 3 elim finals in 2013-5, missed out on finals in 2016, flag in 2017.

Looking at freos trajectory, It can go on one of 2 directions....

1. A repeat of 2010-15. We made an elim final win in 2010, missed out on finals in 2011. Made finals in 2012-15. But in reality, we contended for the flag in 2013-15. So we already made finals and won a final in 2022, so that means we drop in 2023, then have a finals run from 2024-7 in where we go a flag tilt in 2025-7.

2. Similar to eagles of 2006 or tigers in 2017. Make 3 elim finals in a row from 2022 until 2024. We already got a finals win in 2022. In 2025, we either have injuries and finish 10th-12th then contend for the flag in 2026-7 or Straight up contend for the flag in 2025-7 regardless.

Again....

I am glad we made and won a final in 2022. To me, playing at least one final in 2023 would make me happy.

you might think its depressing....

But lets be realistic and honest here.

We missed the top 4 by a kick this year. Most of our best 18 should improve, and we have Fyfe, Taberner, O'meara and Jackson as new/effectively new recruits.

I'm hoping to win 1 or 2 more home games next year, finish top 4, and play in a prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IT
Wasn’t 2022 Brandon’s second season? Unless age is catching up with me I’m sure I recall a sublime pick up and lace out pass to Treacy at the ‘G in 2021.
It was his 2nd season. For some strange reason, I can't remember any good highlights of Brandon Walker in his 2021 season.

Yet on the other hand, I can think of many highlights in Fredericks 3 seasons at freo

We missed the top 4 by a kick this year. Most of our best 18 should improve, and we have Fyfe, Taberner, O'meara and Jackson as new/effectively new recruits.

I'm hoping to win 1 or 2 more home games next year, finish top 4, and play in a prelim.
We only missed out on top 4 Because Carlton stuffed up with 2 minutes to go.

I am in the minority on freos 2022 season. I said this many times before.

I am glad we got 5th this season than 4th.

Don't get me wrong, top 4 would of been nice. But looking at the finals system, dockers would of got out in straight sets. We would of lost to Geelong in the MCG and lose the home semi final vs the swans or Magpies.

Glad we got 5th this season. Got a home Elim final and beat the dogs. That was our 1st finals win since 2015.

We scorched the earth in 2022. Only Walters and Mundy was left from that 2012-5 Ross Lyon finals win. Hell both blokes and an injured Fyfe are left from that 2010 Elim final win vs the hawks.

Again... I am glad on how freos finals campaign panned out. Young guys like Brayshaw, Walker, Serong and Hayden Young etc got a finals win.

Yeah Brandon Walker had the occasional Turnover.

He is quick though. I would of been shocked had he got games on a wing.

But Saying that If freo makes finals again in 2023. even if Freo gets 5th to 8th and plays only one final, I wont think its a Bad thing if Walker and Wilson both play 10-12 games each fighting for that 2nd back pocket spot. Ryan already has sealed one back pocket spot.

With Nathan Wilson and Brandon Walker fighting for the other one, both will work harder to keep their spot in the best 23. that has to be a good thing.

Could go either way, Brandon Walker. I imagine ladies’ memberships would drop by 10% if he was ever traded/delisted. We got Jaeger for insurance.

#4dchess

Cox was played as a forward in his first year.
Actually Brennan Cox played 13 games and kicked 4 goals in his 1st year in 2017.

In his 2nd year in 2018, he kicked 18 goals and 14 behinds from 14 games.

I still remember his best game up forward that year. It was vs the crows in Perth. Cox kicked 4 straight and Freo won by under a goal thanks to Eddie Betts kicking 2 goals and 6 behinds

But also saying this...

Keep in mind if Tassie comes into the AFL in 2025 or 2026. How will our list be shaping? Because we don't want to rebuild in a year when they get the majority of the 1st round picks. If all 3 of Brayshaw, Young and Serong are on our list in 2025-7, that's 3 very good mids in their prime for our tilt of the flag.

Looking back at when the suns came in 2011, the sun's had the majority of the 1st round picks in 2010. Freo didn't draft too well in that 2010 draft got guys like Jayden Pitt, Viv Mitchie and Josh Mellington. Freo 2 best recruits in that season came from trades. One was Tendai Mzungu from the sun's and Jono Griffin from the crows.

GWS came into the AFL in 2012 but had many 1st round picks in 2011.

Dockers got guys like Crozier, Sheridan, Neale and Sutcliffe in that draft. With Lee spur in the rookie draft and Zac Dawson in the PSD.

Freo then had that finals run from 2010-15.

I am looking long term here.

Like everyone else, I do want Justin Longmuir to eventually get a flag at the dockers. Yes we got a finals win under this group. The young guys are hungry and motivated to win another final.

Again, I am looking at the long term outlook.

If Freo are gonna repeat 2010-15 again. That meant that we made and won a final in 2022. That means we miss out on finals in 2023.

Make and win a final in 2024, then a flag tilt in 2025-7

After rewatching highlights of all our best games of the year I have some notes going into next year.

• We have the most exciting young talent in the AFL, nothing would change my mind on this.
  • We really really lack an x-factor player forward of center, it's why I was so excited at the idea of Tippa, we need a Stengle or Bolton type, I don't think we have a single player that has anywhere near the same level of match-winning ability.
  • Lobb is going to leave a bigger hole than some would like to admit.
  • There is enough talk about Young and Clark already so sometimes we forget about Walker and Chapman but they are both very exciting prospects.
  • Logue was played horribly out of position and because of this people forgot his value to the list, he is a beast of an athlete and would have been the perfect long-term Pearce replacement
  • Acres getting traded to Carlton is a positive and will be easily replaced, horrible kick of the footy, and is a pretty soft footballer IMO.
  • We have a couple of players that if they are having an off day, can't turn it around and work themselves into the game and instead become stop chasing or doing the team thing.
  • Frederick might be the answer to our lack of x-factor, when Frerick is on he is a weapon, there were a couple this year where he looked like a match-winner.
  • When Darcy is down forward he is actually a huge presence and target, when he is on he has a great set of mittens and is an accurate kick on goal. I really look forward to seeing how JL works Jackson into this side.
  • Switkowski deserves more of an opportunity at the AFL level, bloke just keeps getting injured hopefully he gets his body right so he can be a regular best 22 like I think he is.
  • I absolutely can not wait to see Amiss side by side streaming out from the goal line, first time in a long time I've been hopeful and excited for our forward line.
  • We will be fine without David Mundy, the addition of a fit Fyfe and O'meara into the midfield mix will be just fine as the old experienced heads on the ball.
  • Luke Ryan is an absolute gun and so so important to our success, should be regarded higher in the AFL circles, what a find this bloke has been.
  • Clark should have been a contender for recruit of the year, slotted perfectly into our system, and had a wonderful year.

After rewatching highlights of all our best games of the year I have some notes going into next year.

• We have the most exciting young talent in the AFL, nothing would change my mind on this.
  • We really really lack an x-factor player forward of center, it's why I was so excited at the idea of Tippa, we need a Stengle or Bolton type, I don't think we have a single player that has anywhere near the same level of match-winning ability.
  • There is enough talk about Young and Clark already so sometimes we forget about Walker and Chapman but they are both very exciting prospects.
  • Logue was played horribly out of position and because of this people forgot his value to the list, he is a beast of an athlete and would have been the perfect long-term Pearce replacement
  • Acres getting traded to Carlton is a positive and will be easily replaced, horrible kick of the footy, and is a pretty soft footballer IMO.
  • We have a couple of players that if they are having an off day, can't turn it around and work themselves into the game and instead become stop chasing or doing the team thing.
  • Frederick might be the answer to our lack of x-factor, when Frerick is on he is a weapon, there were a couple this year where he looked like a match-winner.
  • When Darcy is down forward he is actually a huge presence and target, when he is on he has a great set of mittens and is an accurate kick on goal. I really look forward to seeing how JL works Jackson into this side.
  • Switkowski deserves more of an opportunity at the AFL level, bloke just keeps getting injured hopefully he gets his body right so he can be a regular best 22 like I think he is.
  • I absolutely can not wait to see Amiss side by side streaming out from the goal line, first time in a long time I've been hopeful and excited for our forward line.
  • We will be fine without David Mundy, the addition of a fit Fyfe and O'meara into the midfield mix will be just fine as the old experienced heads on the ball.
  • Luke Ryan is an absolute gun and so so important to our success, should be regarded higher in the AFL circles, what a find this bloke has been.
  • Clark should have been a contender for recruit of the year, slotted perfectly into our system, and had a wonderful year.
A late run at post of the year.

Logue was played horribly out of position and because of this people forgot his value to the list, he is a beast of an athlete and would have been the perfect long-term Pearce replacement
Logue dropped some marks he should have taken, but he was fine forward. Tough gig. Wasn't perfect but experience does wonders. A guy who can switch forward and back. Big mistake not signing him earlier.

Good take on the list, I’d also add that intimidation, arrogance is required to
not just make finals, but be a flag contender.
The addition of Jackson is a massive positive for the club, as a destination and
purely on talent alone.
I would rather him than 2 first round picks, especially this year.
There is no reason not to believe that we have the growth, players to bring
the passion that defines an era.
But if we don’t play, develop guys like Treacy, Erasmus we are missing out on
that killer instinct that creates history.

With the trade period done and dusted it's time to reflect on where the list sits, what we were seeking to achieve and how close we are to the ever elusive maiden premiership.

I am pleased Fremantle's hierarchy identified the need to bolster the inside mid brigade, Brodie was a pleasant surprise in 2022 and will continue to build in 2023. What became more and more glaring as the year rolled on was our over reliance on Mundy to win inside ball and drive field position. Acquiring JOM will alleviate the burden on Serong/Brodie and allow Fyfe the flexibility to roll forward. With Raz and Johnson still needing a few pre-seasons to be AFL ready, when it counts, this was a pleasing acquisition.

The greatest upside of this trade is we no longer need to run Andy Brayshaw from the centre square. He just isn't capable of being a force in there and held us back, on occassion, in the two finals this year. He is much better suited as an outside runner and will be an upgrade on Acres on the wing. This is Andy's best position and will allow him to blow up his opponent, hold his width and deliver the ball inside 50.

Jackson, will improve our dynamicism from the centre-square, he is capable of roving his own tap and pushing through traffic. Too often we exited laterally, slowly and allowed opposition defenses to roll with our ball movement. Hopefully Jaeger can burst from stoppage as well. The removal of Brayshaw from the starting CB team will show up the more JOM/FYFE, Serong, Brodie with Jackson and Darcy find their groove. Corbett might be a nice guy, but he's largely irrelevant and cover - whole lot of meh on his acquisition, hopefully he proves me wrong, though, I am never wrong.

One of the unfortunate realities of a high attrition rate is the requirement to re-train running patterns, stoppage set ups and internal chemistry. We have shipped out/retired 4 genuine starters, 2 consistent rotational players, and will now inject a two starters.

Amiss is the key to our progression, he along with the emergence of another key forward (my great hope for Jackson) will decide if we mount the summit, but it will not be in 23.

The type of synergy that is necessary intra team is not concocted over-night, one may pre-season will not be enough. This group will need to gel and bond, on field and off.

For me, whilst we may have lost our leading goal-kicker campaigner lord, a top 10 B&F player, an AA calibre winger and fuzzy haired swing man, I've never been more bullish on the state of our list, whilst cautiously aware that synergy takes time to create.

We are almost there.

We need to get Brayshaw out of the Centre Square - he doesn't want to put his head over the pill when it's his turn - he is a receiver - play him on the wing where he can run and flourish. He panics in traffic and slaps it on his boot.

- 17 CBA's on the weekend.
- 1 Centre Clearance.
- 1 Stoppage Clearance

Final vs Dogs

• 17 CBA's
  • 0 Centre Clearances
  • 0 Stoppage Clearances

Final vs Pies

• 18 CBA's
  • 0 Centre clearances
  • 3 Stoppage clearances

This is a pattern and the coaches box needs to stop deluding itself that he is a clearance player.

We will get mauled by the likes of LDU/Simpkin and Cunnington on the weekend - you have to have an appetite to take the hit and win the clearance, it's not Andy's way, and that is fine - but for the love of all things sacred, recognise that and adapt.

Infuriating watching him follow in opposition mids to the contest.

I share the same sentiment - The Hughes thing is completely bizarre and we missed an opportunity to try Switta/Chapman or Brayshaw on the wing during preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back