List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:

How come he doesn’t get to hawks?
If North are keen as reported, they are ahead of the Hawks in the PSD. Doubt they pass on a player of interest for free unless the Hawks terms are outrageous, which seems unlikely.
Was curious about Sharp, and had time on my hands, so dived a bit deeper into the chaotic rabble that is the Gold Coast suns and this is the series of events.
Mid 2022: Sharp comes into the team and seems to impress. (Averages 20 possessions a game playing on the wing. Get's a rising star nomination and wins the award as "most emerging player").
Off season 2022: Wants out of the Gold Coast.
Later in off season 2022: Gold coast dig in their heels and refuse to budge.
2023 - Is not played at all despite dominating in the reserves.

My conclusion: This kid can play and Gold Coast are idiots.

This is the hope.

All we can say for sure is that I think there is a much greater chance he is an AFL standard winger than Hughes is.

I'm a huge Sharp fan and have been since his draft year (we were losing Hill + Langdon and he was playing WAFL seniors, and I'm always biased towards draftees that can play WAFL seniors), but this is crazy talk to me.

Sharp played 0 games for a bottom 4 team this season and was a pick 27 (tho admittedly Gold Coast paid pick 11: their Geelong trades involving pick 27 needs to be investigated). Henry was probably a top 10 player for us in the 2nd half of the season and was a pick 9 (admittedly we paid that in 20% discount draft points). I think ability wise they're relatively close, but value-wise Sharp is a way more speculative asset than Henry.

If we don't get a decent pick for Henry and get Sharp for a nothing pick, list mgmt have f'd up.
This forum needs a ‘taking the pi55’ emoji. Was. Not. Serious.

Having said that - I think Henry will go for what most on here will consider unders and there will be melts. 🫢

Fremantle Dockers veteran Nat Fyfe is energised, determined and could play an important role beyond current contract​

Nat Fyfe might seem an uncertain fit in a young midfield but, writes MARK DUFFIELD, Simon Garlick is planning on a long tenure.

2 min read
August 30, 2023 - 6:40PM

Fremantle CEO [PLAYERCARD]Simon Garlick[/PLAYERCARD] believes Nat Fyfe can defy expectations and play more than his contracted teo seasons at the Dockers. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick believes Nat Fyfe can defy expectations and play more than his contracted teo seasons at the Dockers. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Hayden Young to the midfield. Luke Jackson to wherever you need him. Liam Henry unfortunately lost to Victoria. Sean Darcy staying put.
Where does Nathan Fyfe fit?

And can he get fit?
They are two of the great unanswered list management questions facing the Dockers but Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick believes the two year-deal put to Fyfe for 2024 and 2025 – which many people already think is a year too long – might not be the last contract he signs with the club.
This is either supremely optimistic or Garlick seeing something in Fyfe’s eyes and body that the rest of us haven’t for a couple of years. And it also requires Garlick visualising a spot on the ground for Fyfe in an increasingly young and reshaped Fremantle engine room.

That isn’t to say the Dockers are yet at a point where they are contemplating a best 22 with Fyfe outside of it. But while they slumped to 14th this year after climbing to sixth last year, the Dockers have had to look at problems and find solutions that haven’t involved Fyfe over the past two seasons.
For much of 2023, they lacked a big bodied mid post-David Mundy and late in the year Young supplied them with it. And Dockers coach Justin Longmuir said the notion of shifting Fyfe forward is done and dusted.
So, what is Fyfe’s place in all this?
If the answer is the midfield then match simulation for Freo mids is going to look more like a full scale AFL game.
Caleb Serong and Andrew Brayshaw now lead the engine room. Young looks a perfect fit alongside them. Jaeger O’Meara is trying to avoid being squeezed out. Will Brodie has already been squeezed out. Youngsters Neil Erasmus and Matt Johnson are gradually being squeezed in.

Garlick said he still had “significant confidence” that the deal inked with Fyfe this season would pay dividends for the Dockers.
The deal, believed to be around $400,000 a year, marks a significant pay cut for Fyfe but it will still prove expensive if he can’t be out there more than he has in 2022 and 2023.
The 31 year-old has played 218 AFL games but only 16 of them in the last two years with shoulder, back and hamstring issues ruining 2022 and plantar fasciitis, followed by a stress fracture in a foot, taking him out of most of 2023.
“The thing we always try and do is … (keeping) the balance between making sure that the player gets looked after but it is in the best interest of the club and on the club’s terms. That is what this deal does,” Garlick said of the Fyfe contract on SEN.

“Fyfey has had a wretched run which we know in recent years but I also have a significant amount of confidence that the work he is going to do ensures he can contribute significantly over the next couple of years.
“He has got to get through pre-season and make sure that he has a really strong 2024 obviously, but he is fully invested. He is spending a significant amount of time in and around the coaching group and around the players in this last six weeks of the season, travelling interstate, in the coaches box, helping with opposition reviews, guiding our young mids and forwards.
“If the investment level and engagement is anything to go by, we have a pretty determined Nathan Fyfe and if that is the case I reckon there are still a couple of chapters in his Fremantle story to be written.”

With no club mentioned and having met with Ross, probably Saints right for Henry? I feel comfortable Bell can get a bit more than the 2nd they currently have out of them
Really? I have zero faith in Bell to get a good deal.

For a bloke with a reputation amongst oppo fans of being hard to deal with, he really doesn't have any runs on the board in terms of extracting. Even the crowning achievement of Brodie + 19 was put into perspective with the Bowes trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess but the dude had 2 years to run and was publicly known to be offered 900k. I could have got pick 10 out of them.

And that is totally cancelled out by the Jackson overpay anyway.
Keen to hear how you overpay for a 21yo who's All-Australian calibre in his first season?

What does that West article about Sharp actually say? I know it’s probably sh**e but I don’t want to judge it before I know what it says tbh.

Paul Connors today when asked about the veteran rules answered like someone who knew they were happening not someone who thought thought there was a chance.

What does that West article about Sharp actually say? I know it’s probably sh**e but I don’t want to judge it before I know what it says tbh.

Paul Connors today when asked about the veteran rules answered like someone who knew they were happening not someone who thought thought there was a chance.
I posted about it on the thread before actually reading it. Literally all it says is that we'll struggle to make space on our main list bc treacy + banners will get upgraded + minimum list turnover or something dumb.

I posted about it on the thread before actually reading it. Literally all it says is that we'll struggle to make space on our main list bc treacy + banners will get upgraded + minimum list turnover or something dumb.

It that’s truly the case then all I can say is I’m disappointed but not surprised.

Like you’d have to not know so many basic things about AFL list management to actually get that all wrong.

They’ll be enough room to give Hamling another contract, trade in Sharp and take three picks in the National Draft. That’s unless the Worst thinks Colyer or Wilson get another contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back