Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowell, Ugle-Hagen, Horne-Francis, Rayner, McGrath, Boyd.

Who’d have thunk it - Paddy Mac has actually turned out one of the best no.1 draft picks of the last decade!*

* Weitering and Walsh excluded.
He is so good, at least loses the moniker as the worst no 1 pick

Bit of a slog of a game for Paddy - not too many intercepts, and our game plan actively robbed him of opportunities to play interceptor by forcing a man-on-man game.

Nevertheless, head was up all night and he won the key contests he needed to win. Was clutch at times, even if he wasn't as involved as usual. Great to see him stick it out even when things weren't naturally going his way. Absolutely vital quality in a good defender.

What should we / will we be offering Paddy?
How much is he worth a year and how many years should his contract be?
Thoughts?

What should we / will we be offering Paddy?
How much is he worth a year and how many years should his contract be?
Thoughts?

Pending an offseason medical assessment which gives him the all-clear, I'd be comfortable with 3 years at $450K-ish?

There's still some risk, and while he's a very good interceptor he's not playing tall shut down roles at all yet. Something that gives him a bit of certainty, but which doesn't break the bank for us if it all goes wrong or he remains a floating interceptor that doesn't play super tall.

TBH I have no idea what players are paid these days.

According to Foxsports* 24yo KPP Griffin Logue has been offered $500k (initial offer supposedly ~$250k) to stay at Freo, whilst 27yo winger Karl Amon has reportedly been offered a four year $650k pa deal by Hawthorn. :unsure:

I've no doubt that Paddy wants to stay at Sydney and I'm sure he has goodwill towards Sydney after we offered him the opportunity back into football, but other clubs will have been impressed by his performances this year so we will essentially have to pay him market value or close to it.

The club may favour a shorter term deal, given Paddy's concussion history, but would other clubs be prepared to take a chance on a longer contract? Particularly as some clubs eg Hawthorn/NM seem to have plenty of spare cash and of course as Paddy was previously delisted by St Kilda, he is a free agent, so no trade currency required.

So in my usual roundabout, long-winded way basically I have no idea what Paddy is worth in dollar terms, but I will say he has been an integral part of our team this year and I would be loath to lose him.

* AFL Trade Whispers: Key to unlocking Eagles star’s deal; increased offer won’t be enough to keep Docker

TBH I have no idea what players are paid these days.

According to Foxsports* 24yo KPP Griffin Logue has been offered $500k (initial offer supposedly ~$250k) to stay at Freo, whilst 27yo winger Karl Amon has reportedly been offered a four year $650k pa deal by Hawthorn. :unsure:

I've no doubt that Paddy wants to stay at Sydney and I'm sure he has goodwill towards Sydney after we offered him the opportunity back into football, but other clubs will have been impressed by his performances this year so we will essentially have to pay him market value or close to it.

The club may favour a shorter term deal, given Paddy's concussion history, but would other clubs be prepared to take a chance on a longer contract? Particularly as some clubs eg Hawthorn/NM seem to have plenty of spare cash and of course as Paddy was previously delisted by St Kilda, he is a free agent, so no trade currency required.

So in my usual roundabout, long-winded way basically I have no idea what Paddy is worth in dollar terms, but I will say he has been an integral part of our team this year and I would be loath to lose him.

* AFL Trade Whispers: Key to unlocking Eagles star’s deal; increased offer won’t be enough to keep Docker

yes, indeed! he's been just about the key piece in the puzzle this season ... we really needed that big defender, and we got one who's also a really smart footballer with the skills of a no1 draft pick ...
he's one of the big differences, the improvements on last year's very promising team
but the bonus has been his pairing with his brother
i think tom is headed to being a genuine star central defender, and has really stood up this year, despite copping a few beatings
he's about to turn 23, he's got years of strengthening and development in him
having tom with paddy has made the team better in more ways than just their individual talents
they both seem to love being at the swans together and i really hope they're kept together at the club for years, they can and have to be a key part of our potential premierships these next few years at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a great pickup when Dennis Denuto was hired as he cleared tray 3, three times, and the contracts started printing immediately.
b7f9c33b5e5ddd18df36afcb32de74cf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back