Game Day AFL Preliminary Final - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@Richmond(MCG – 7:50PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what promises to be the biggest non-Grand Final game since the Collingwood-Geelong preliminary final in 2007, Collingwood and Richmond clash at the MCG for a spot in the 2018 Grand Final. With all the tickets sold out, this game could attract 100,000 supporters.

Collingwood managed to put GWS away last week. A three goal burst to start the fourth quarter put the result beyond doubt. For Richmond, they had the week off after comfortably beating the Hawks. These sides have met twice this season, with both encounters being remarkably similar. The Magpies looked like they were going to upset the Tigers, but in the fourth quarter Richmond would pull away.

Collingwood

It wasn’t pretty, but Collingwood did what they needed to do to get a win over the Giants. As a result, Collingwood will play in their first preliminary final since 2012. The win over the Giants was their first finals win in six years, their last win was way back in 2012 when they beat the Eagles at the MCG. Steele Sidebottom continued his brilliant finals form, and Brayden Maynard was outstanding with the assignment on Toby Greene. The opponent for Collingwood kicks up a couple of notches as they face Richmond at the MCG. If Collingwood are to win on Friday, it will need to win it from the stoppages. Richmond are one of the worst teams around the stoppages, whereas Collingwood is one of the best teams in terms of clearances. Players like Brodie Grundy, and the midfield brigade need to be on their game and win this area of the game handily if Collingwood are to stand a chance of winning.

The Magpies also need to watch their ball skills against Richmond. While the disposal efficiency problem that has existed while Buckley has been coach has been quelled this season, against the Giants on the weekend it popped up once again. Such poor disposal will not be allowed against a side like Richmond.

The man to watch for Collingwood is Scott Pendlebury. Pendlebury has long been the most reliable and dependable player for the Magpies, but in this finals series, he has had a drop in form. Many have put this down as the illness that he contracted during the bye week, but in the GWS game, he looked slow, and his disposal was nowhere near as clean many are used to seeing. Pendlebury will need to lift significantly if Collingwood is to have a chance.

Richmond

On paper, this looks an easy win for Richmond. They have been the best team all year, are in good form, and have beaten the Magpies twice this year. The Tigers also seemingly kicked it up a gear against Hawthorn. While playing to the Hawks level in the first half, this talented team seamlessly flicked a switch, and were all of a sudden put the game out of reach of the Hawthorn team. After having a season that was down on his output from 2017, Dustin Martin was sensational in the first final. Prestia and Cotchin were also dazzling for the Tigers. One thing that Richmond loves to emphasize is the team spirit that they possess. The fact that the Tigers love to do the little things, such as the “one percenters” shows their team spirit, and perhaps why they’re so successful.

However while the Tigers are nicely rested, one factor that may work against them is the pre-finals bye. Many are still unsure as to what effect the bye does to a team. Many still think that playing one game of football in a month is not good for a playing group, whereas some think the extended break helps the players rest up. The past two finals series have given drastically different results in terms of how the pre-finals bye affects players.

The man to watch for Richmond is Dylan Grimes. Grimes is a fine defender for Richmond and will be in charge of keeping Magpies star Jordan De Goey at bay. If Grimes is to stop De Goey, it will go a long way in securing a Richmond win.

Matchup to watch

Levi Greenwood vs Dustin Martin

Levi Greenwood has had some daunting assignments this season, and he’s passed most with flying colors. However, there are not many assignments tougher than Dustin Martin. The contest between these two will be fascinating, and if Collingwood are to have a chance, Greenwood will have to stop Martin.

Head to Head odds

Richmond: $1.38

Collingwood: $3.10

Changes

Richmond

No change

Collingwood

No change.

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Live on Channel 7, National.

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Weather

14 °C / 57 °F

Chance of rain: 5%

Partly cloudy.

Tip
It’s been nearly 20 years since there’s been a mega upset in the preliminary finals. Many will think that it’s time for an upset. While the Magpies will give the Tigers a decent shake, it won’t be enough.

Tigers by 20

Gee I'm strangely confident about this one, but will be proud either way.

You just have to look at our ins since last time we played them. And the fact that the last two games were absolutely identical in that they were close until three quarter time until injury took its toll, which surely won't happen a third time.

I know the Tigers fans probably get sick of the injury line/excuse but it happened both times and was definitely a reason we lost both games, if not the reason.

I think last time Howe probably would've taken Dusty when he went forward and he was one of the differences in the end. He will be there to do it this time, potentially with a small niggle to bring him down a notch.

The extra rest Richmond have had might favour them in the last quarter but I'm hoping that our finals momentum will have us well and truly in touch - if not in front by multiple goals - at quarter time. The last 2 games it was seemingly tied or we were a goal or two down all game... this time I'd love to see us mount the scoreboard pressure back the other way and really test their discipline to their gameplan.

It's (almost) game day! Come get some you filthy tiger mongrels!

Listen carefully Magpies, this is the most important post you'll ever read... now is not the time to be negative, it's not the time to be nervous... the revolution is here, pies, and we will win this. The law of attraction m8, you can't just want something, you have to BELIEVE it.

The players have done a great job all week of putting out a relaxed and confident image... the least we can do is follow suite. Fake it until you make it m8... I don't want to see any posts about people feeling "nervous", or predicting a loss... f that s**t, now is not the time for it.

Pies by 32, Treloar BoG.

Just ordered GF tickets and put $8000 on the Pies. Lets go
220px-Male_gorilla_in_SF_zoo.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It sucks that our game day op tips Richmond. Sorry, but it’s wrong.
I'm sorry, but that's just how I think's gonna win. It's not long I'm not a supporter of the team, I went to Perth to see us play in the qualifying final!! But I'm also a realist...

I'm sorry, but that's just how I think's gonna win. It's not long I'm not a supporter of the team, I went to Perth to see us play in the qualifying final!! But I'm also a realist...
It still sucks.

2018-09-20_223509.jpg
That day the Pies also lost Jeremy Howe to concussion during the first quarter, while Matt Scharenberg suffered a season-ending knee injury and Brody Mihocek was affected by an ankle injury in the second half.

I am confident now.:)

No no no jmac,
Old boxy is an avid non tipster, just need Dave to not pick us,

Then we win - all reverse psychology

Pies by 17 pts.
Oh my head says the other mob, my heart says Collingwood.

Stuff the head.

It's all heart.

We break them, we win by 48 points.

Ps Eagles thump demons by 60 points.

No no no jmac,
Old boxy is an avid non tipster, just need Dave to not pick us,

Then we win - all reverse psychology
This is a prelim. It’s black and white or nothing. With us or against us. Cold blooded analyse of the game is wasted here.

Get pumped up people. Only together can be defeat the Richmond scum.

This is a prelim. It’s black and white or nothing. With us or against us. Cold blooded analyse of the game is wasted here.

Get pumped up people. Only together can be defeat the Richmond scum.
I hèar you.

Technically it's the 22 on the field that will defeat Richmond.
But I get what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back