NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
This year has been a tiring and all in all underwhelming one (not just for North fans), particularly with the Essendon supplement scandle casting a dark cloud over the season.

But after this weekend, I can't help but feel the year has almost been redeemed.

Sure, many fans will be devastated, but as a neutral, to see a round of finals with 4 extremely tough, exciting games and 3 massive upsets (when was the last time that happened?) makes me realise why I love this game so much.

To see new teams like Freo and Port make their mark, overcoming the odds, and then today, to see a stunning comeback victory in front of a crowd worthy of a Grand Final is just plain awesome for any footy loving neutral.

To hell with all the off field bullshit, AFL is the greatest sport on the planet!

h62C7A74C

This year has been a tiring and all in all underwhelming one (not just for North fans), particularly with the Essendon supplement scandle casting a dark cloud over the season.

But after this weekend, I can't help but feel the year has almost been redeemed.

Sure, many fans will be devastated, but as a neutral, to see a round of finals with 4 extremely tough, exciting games and 3 massive upsets (when was the last time that happened?) makes me realise why I love this game so much.

To see new teams like Freo and Port make their mark, overcoming the odds, and then today, to see a stunning comeback victory in front of a crowd worthy of a Grand Final is just plain awesome for any footy loving neutral.

To hell with all the off field bullshit, AFL is the greatest sport on the planet!
As an AFL supporter I totally agree. Best round of finals I can remember ever, and I can remember back to the early 80's

As an Essendon supporter I can only hope it even comes close to making up for the damage our stupid actions did to this season. The fact you think it does brings a smile to my face.

Hawks must be sitting there giggling...until they realise that if Geelong win, they need to overcome the Kenny's curse, if they want to play in a GF.
Nup. If Geelong defeat us, no excuses. They're a great team, but history says that it's extremely rare for a team to lose that first final and win the Prelim. I think West Coast were the last team to do it, that was back in 2006 when they came from nowhere to defeat Adelaide. I expect us to win.

Nup. If Geelong defeat us, no excuses. They're a great team, but history says that it's extremely rare for a team to lose that first final and win the Prelim. I think West Coast were the last team to do it, that was back in 2006 when they came from nowhere to defeat Adelaide. I expect us to win.
If you don't, the combined barrage that Collingwood and Richmond have received this week will be nothing compared to what will be heaped on Hawthorn.

Much as it grieves me to say it, you could say there were four upsets, because although Hawks were favourites on Friday night they weren't supposed to beat us by THAT much!

But yeah, as a footy lover, if not as a Swans supporter, I get some consolation that the other three games were simply sensational struggles. Loving it!

When you consider their recent history you could probably say Carlton and Freo weren't "massive upsets", both sides match up well on the teams they beat and Geelong probably rue the decision to have the game at SS; it's a narrow ground like Subi and much easier to implement a forward press on.

Great weekend of finals although I expected a lot more from the Swans.

Geelong vs Freo was 2nd vs 3rd, so I don't think it was a huge upset since they beat us last year as well. The only thing that made it big was our home ground, had it been played anywhere else, it wouldn't be such an upset. Not surprising they won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you consider their recent history you could probably say Carlton and Freo weren't "massive upsets", both sides match up well on the teams they beat and Geelong probably rue the decision to have the game at SS; it's a narrow ground like Subi and much easier to implement a forward press on.

Great weekend of finals although I expected a lot more from the Swans.

By upsets I think he means the odds, in which case both Geelong and Richmond were odds on favourite to win, not neccessarily the viewpoint of everyone. I tipped Carlton for instance, so I wasnt overly surprised by todays result.

Yes, i was saying to my mate before how this has got to be one of the most exciting weeks of finals i have ever seen. Its good for me because i wanted all the teams that won to win! :p

By upsets I think he means the odds, in which case both Geelong and Richmond were odds on favourite to win, not neccessarily the viewpoint of everyone. I tipped Carlton for instance, so I wasnt overly surprised by todays result.

Yeah, I was saying in actuality the game was always going to be a lot closer than the bookies and punters made out. I think the tag of "can't win interstate" is a misconception that still skews the odds for games like yesterdays.

Great week of finals. Freo and Port were fantastic and the noise at the ground today was absolutely insane.

I'm lucky enough to work at the MCG as a ground attendant, have been for over 20 years and have seen virtually all finals in that time. Today's atmosphere was as good as anything I've experienced in in my time working there as well as the many big soccer matches I've attended in Europe. It was a genuine passionate football crowd not the corporate wankfest the GF has now become. The noise and hysteria around the stadium was simply awesome throughout the game. Well done to Carlton for taking advantage of their 'luck'. Good to see Port and Freo win their away finals and cause a bit of grief to the Cats and Pies. It's given the finals race and code a real shot in the arm given all the bullshit that's happened this season. I'm so bloody tired and have hardly slept since thursday as I've had to work at my normal day job as well as at the 'G on both fri/sat but watching 3 finals live, 2 of them being real rippers was certainly worth it.
Can't see anything but a Freo v Hawks GF from here but will be happy to see a few more twists and turns like we've seen this weekend.

Geelong vs Freo was 2nd vs 3rd, so I don't think it was a huge upset since they beat us last year as well. The only thing that made it big was our home ground, had it been played anywhere else, it wouldn't be such an upset. Not surprising they won.

If you consider the result earlier this year, the home ground advantage and the fact that Geelong are a hardened finals side who incidentally have been undefeated against fellow top 4 sides this year, yeah it was definitely a big upset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back