Preview Changes vs Adelaide (Sun 16th Aug)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's had one chance and I wouldn't even count that Collingwood game as a "chance". Team was absolutely obliterated in the middle. Never seen us beaten in the middle under Beveridge like that.

Think he's first in line to be the speedy pressure forward we need. Would like to see him get at least 4 games in that role.
I agree but there were a few things that worried me in that game. He had a couple of shots and struggled to make the distance from about 30 out. He also didn’t appear very quick which is supposed to be one of his strong traits. Love to see get another go at it.

This is why I'm expecting Cavarra to make a good run of it. 5 years in the VFL, wasn't gifted anything. He might be the late bloomer type who considers every game to be his last. Whereas Richards and Lippa (not on their own) don't play like that.
I'm not pushing anyone's barrow to get a run but I think you can sense, even from a distance, who's up for it and who isn't (yet). Things can can change and that's reason for hope. Both Richards and Lipi might have a cathartic moment where they resolve to go hard or go home. I always loved players like Smith, Picken and Jongy too for that hardness, They only have one gear, and it's flat out at the ball or player and damn the consequences...you always know what effort you'll get and it's 100%. If Richards and Lipi can find that they'll be exceptional players.

Cavarra......meh....yes Round 1 wasn't the ideal debut coz we were smashed everywhere so I have no objection to him getting another crack but he's in my 'yet to be convinced' category. A number of players have graduated from that category, however, most notably Daniel in recent times...

This is why I'm expecting Cavarra to make a good run of it. 5 years in the VFL, wasn't gifted anything. He might be the late bloomer type who considers every game to be his last. Whereas Richards and Lippa (not on their own) don't play like that.

Cavarra and Micahel Gibbons are similar types both from Willy. Cavarra was rated higher been selected at 45 in the 2018 draft and Gibbons was a rookie in the 2019 for the blues in the pre season draft. Ben was basically injured for most of last season and has only had one chance in a impossible game as a forward in round 2020 . If he can be an improved version of Gibbons who has now gone ahead him he would be worth a look at.

The exact reasons why I have called for Ed Richards removal from this team for a significant period of time.

I've known the author of that article since I was 6. He'd be happy it's getting a read here. Lives and breathes the dogs.

I'm not worried about Richards as a player. He will be fine. He is out of form though - bar a half against Port, he has looked like a first year player. I'd suspect the change in roles will do that, might even make him better in the long run.

I'm not against the idea of dropping Richards for a rest of because someone else can do better in the same role, I think I predicted it after the Port game, but I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article. I think he's similar to Cam Rayner: carried through their first 50 games as quickly as possible despite not great form and it's from this point onwards we should start to see both begin to take big strides. Both have got to a fitness level where they can move further down the ground (Rayner more inside mid, Richards more wing) instead of being put in roles that aren't necessarily suited to their strengths.

Richards is starting to climb the ranking in a lot of areas. From 2019 to 2020 he's moved from 422nd in disposals to 266th, 301st in tackles to 205th, 227th in goals to 157th, 231st in i50s to 61st, 457th in CP to 167th, 364th in meters gained to 207th, 178th in bounces to 6th. It's not all good, disposal efficiency and turnovers are heading the wrong direction, but I'd hate to give up on him now we've over the hard bit of a messy 50 first games and just entering the block of games where most players start to rapidly improve.

I'm not pushing anyone's barrow to get a run but I think you can sense, even from a distance, who's up for it and who isn't (yet). Things can can change and that's reason for hope. Both Richards and Lipi might have a cathartic moment where they resolve to go hard or go home. I always loved players like Smith, Picken and Jongy too for that hardness, They only have one gear, and it's flat out at the ball or player and damn the consequences...you always know what effort you'll get and it's 100%. If Richards and Lipi can find that they'll be exceptional players.

Cavarra......meh....yes Round 1 wasn't the ideal debut coz we were smashed everywhere so I have no objection to him getting another crack but he's in my 'yet to be convinced' category. A number of players have graduated from that category, however, most notably Daniel in recent times...
Hard for him to convince anyone when he's not given the chance. Kicked 4 goals in multiple VFL games since he's been on our list, is the quickest sprinter on our list (pretty sure he's had better times than JJ) and is a hard worker.

He may not make it, but he's not even had a chance just yet. I really hope he returns this week

Hard for him to convince anyone when he's not given the chance. Kicked 4 goals in multiple VFL games since he's been on our list, is the quickest sprinter on our list (pretty sure he's had better times than JJ) and is a hard worker.

He may not make it, but he's not even had a chance just yet. I really hope he returns this week

I was looking up his combine stats, and he was top 10 in at least the sprint, agility, yoyo, and running leap. 2.89 20m sprint.

I was looking up his combine stats, and he was top 10 in at least the sprint, agility, yoyo, and running leap. 2.89 20m sprint.
Pretty sure his sprint was better than anything recorded at the main combine
Maybe, but can he football at this level? Don't object to finding out but it doesn't have to be this round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but can he football at his level? Don't object to finding out but it doesn't have to be this round.
He's definitely shown it at VFL level, which is all the opportunity he's been given. He wasn't exactly out of place in his one AFL game, but not much more he could have done without being given the chance

His footy iq has never been an issue. I believe his only issue was his size for position (midfield) hence the watch to small forward

I'm not against the idea of dropping Richards for a rest of because someone else can do better in the same role, I think I predicted it after the Port game, but I'm not sure I agree with the premise of the article. I think he's similar to Cam Rayner: carried through their first 50 games as quickly as possible despite not great form and it's from this point onwards we should start to see both begin to take big strides. Both have got to a fitness level where they can move further down the ground (Rayner more inside mid, Richards more wing) instead of being put in roles that aren't necessarily suited to their strengths.

Richards is starting to climb the ranking in a lot of areas. From 2019 to 2020 he's moved from 422nd in disposals to 266th, 301st in tackles to 205th, 227th in goals to 157th, 231st in i50s to 61st, 457th in CP to 167th, 364th in meters gained to 207th, 178th in bounces to 6th. It's not all good, disposal efficiency and turnovers are heading the wrong direction, but I'd hate to give up on him now we've over the hard bit of a messy 50 first games and just entering the block of games where most players start to rapidly improve.
Rest? I think it's a bit bigger than that. At the end of the day, he has to decide to decide what it's worth to him. No one can decide that for him. He doesn't look desperate enough and neither does Lippy and that makes all the difference.

are those rankings based on total or average?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back